Call of Duty: Black Ops Tops Guinness' "Greatest Videogame Ending" List

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Riobux said:
What was the ending of Call Of Duty: Black Ops again?
It was a huge brainwashed trip and then you kill that Russian guy.

Half of the games on that list are too generic, Portal 2 should be higher as well, it has one of the greatest moments of characterization ever.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I loved the ending of Master of Orion 2. Best ending ever. "You control this galaxy. But there are other galaxies out there. Remember that." is the gist of the ending.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Not really anything Guinness should deal with. Making a poll isn't a record, just a temporary survey of the population. Selling a shit load of copies in 24 hours is a record, so is having an overly large budget. This is useless on their behalf.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
KAPTAINmORGANnWo4life said:
But...Oblivion didn't really have an ending. If it did, what was it? The end of a Guild? The video from after the end of the Main Quest? The end of Shivering Isles?

Too loose. Too obvious in its pandering. Nothing to see here.
As someone who just "finished" Oblivion (hahaha, yeah, I'm still playing), I'd say the ending starts when you get Martin to Cyrodiil and ends when that bureaucrat guy commissions the armor for you.

And, as far as endings go, it was pretty freaking awesome.

And I'm certain you already know this. Even if you slightly disagree with my time cutoffs, you know what the end to Oblivion is. It's the main quest. That's why it's called the Main Quest.

And, come on, Shivering Isles is an expansion pack. It's a separate game that allows the importing and exporting of a character from Oblivion. The story of Shivering Isles is not actually a part of Oblivion any more than Shadows of Undrentide is a part of Neverwinter Nights.

You're trying to act like Oblivion doesn't have any narrative flow with a defined end because it's open world, but you know it does; everyone knows it does. The game doesn't force you to participate in the narrative flow, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Davih

May 7, 2011
Black op's ending is that good I honestly don't remember what happens.

Halo: Reach deserves its spot IMO. That's an ending I don't think I'll forget anytime soon.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Ridiculous list is ridiculous.

All things considered though, I was expecting more rage & tears in this thread.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
BabySinclair said:
Not really anything Guinness should deal with. Making a poll isn't a record, just a temporary survey of the population. Selling a shit load of copies in 24 hours is a record, so is having an overly large budget. This is useless on their behalf.
Sure it's a record! It's the winner of the "Guinness World Record for Most Received Votes as to Which Videogame had the Best Ending According to the Opinions of 13,000 Randomly Polled Self-Described Videogame Enthusiasts When Asked by Guinness World Records." You have to admit, Black Ops certainly does hold that distinction.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Fuck that! What selection of people did they get for this? The broiest bros in all of Bro-dom? Black Ops' ending was crap! You did what you needed to and then were treated to the most bile inducing patriotic image I've ever seen. Billions and billions of dollars of American carriers and jets around you, (All very hard to deny, I think quite a lot of countries would like to know what that was all about) all missing but the national anthem and a salute, then the game cuts to black implying that you killed JFK, proving that the game made no fucking sense. Where was I? Wasn't I in the army when that happened, what's going on?

Honestly, it's probably explained, but I can't remember. I found the game so forgettable with it's bad level design (Infinitely spawning enemies that won't stop until I reach the end of a really bloody long corridor? THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA!) and the fact that the PS3 version was fucked for me, so this list is bollocks.

Want to know what I think should be there? Portal, Portal 2 or MGS4. They are not high enough at all and don't deserve to be beaten by any game on there that ends with a "To be Continued".

Calumon: I didn't know Pokémon had an ending. :3

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
BabySinclair said:
This.
most of guinness' records are objective, measurable things: biggest this, longest that, etc.
I don't know why they're trying to branch out into subjective things like videogame endings. They may as well ask what is the best book ever.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Ummm, What is this crap? That list is a mess. Both Portal games deserve much better then that, and how did ME2 beat out ME? Yes the Reaper thing was cool, but not as Epic as the first.
And while I've never played it, how did a Pokemon game score so high? What happens?
Mario? Really?

*bangs head against desk* I know no one will ever totally agree with a list, but this is a joke.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
You know, I haven't played Black Ops, so I won't comment on if I think that deserves it.

I won't even comment on the fact that subjective things like this don't belong on a list of records.

What I will comment on (and yes I am aware I did technically comment on those other things) is that I am very annoyed that Assassin's Creed made the list three times when not a single game in the series had an actual conclusion. "Gotcha! To be continued." is not an ending. Period.

blackknight467

May 21, 2009
Ah, i get it. Black Ops had the best ending because it was the end of hours of torture from playing the campaign. I'm not going to lie, I'd call the end of torture a good ending.

Carl The Manicorn

Jun 16, 2009
Yeah, saw this in a thread here and there I'm suprised that it got top honors. Red Dead is the best ending of this generation. I almost cried at that shit. I'm taking a wild guess and all the "self proclaimed gamers" are just people who play Call of Duty and that's it. It makes me sad when great games like Ocarina of Time and Portal get snubbed for a first person generical shooter. Yeah 'Merica. *Le sigh*

Edit: AWWWWWW YEAH! 200th post! Seems weird that this would it.

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
Sparrow said:
I mean, of all the videogame endings to feature... they picked Pokemon Black and White? Seriously?
Not sure what's bad with Black & White's ending, but if it makes you feel better;
THERE'S ALWAYS WORSE
I mean, they could of put Tiberium Twilight on the list...