Call of Duty Elite on PC Delayed and Debilitated

Orcboyphil

Dec 25, 2008
No centrally trusted source for stats? Well I really wish us PC gamers had a small developer known for only a few of very awesome and influential FPS's, to create us a secure digital distribution system in order for us to have such a centrally located place.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
mjc0961 said:
I can't see why I should be mad at Activision or the game over this. Blame the douchebags who measure their worth in life by how high they can unfairly put themselves on a leaderboard. If they would just play honestly instead of cheating, this wouldn't be a problem.
I should blame them because Activision doesn't see the PC as a platform worth developing for consistently?

The hacking is a scapegoat. Did you even play MW2 on a console? It was horribly buggy, glitchy and hacked all to hell. Continuous supply drops were so FUN.

That's one of the biggest knocks against this release schedule they have. Every new iteration has a host of new bugs, glitches and hacks, while the ones in the old game weren't ever fixed. Why fix them? You can charge $60 for a new game.

I hate to do it, but I have to bring Battlefield up. Last year...I think it was, a huge patch came out for Battlefield 2. It fixed a slew of bugs, balanced things and even contained both DLC packs for free. That game came out in 2005.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
TheComfyChair said:
Of course, the PC version wont sell very well because of 'piracy'.

Not because the game's a load of tripe and PC gamers, being older on average, aren't subject to peer pressure from the other 12 year olds in their class to buy it.
Not to mention how godawfully optimized the last game was on PC. "My computer can run Crysis well...but Black Ops is a laggy piece of garbage on a 10 year old engine. gg guys."

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
This just in! CoD doesn't care about PC! Big news!!

Look, I get it. You have a long history of pirates and cheaters and it would just be stupid to charge for a service that no matter what will be hacked to bits. That said, how could they possibly not see this coming?? How can they have big campaigns like the CoD expo and special editions that offer Elite and then flip-flop and say that all that was for nothing. They should have seen this coming and they're screwing their audience for not realising it sooner.

The thing that bugs me is that nothing they do will keep people from hacking them. They should just roll with it, if they had just released it as planned, but say that it was free because of hackers and say that all pre-purchased subscriptions would lead to free DLC (this is still something that really needs to happen) they'd be celebrated. Really poor marketing here.

A part of me would say this is to compensate for BF3's dominance on PC, but how is delaying something helping that?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Hang on...They are dumbing down the Elite system to make it fair (Even though the Xbox leaderboards get hacked to, but meh)...and making it free?

Someone show me the problem? Because i don't see it, they could of easily still charged for this, Sure their reason is a bit iffy and they aren't the best developer in the world, but at least you guys get it free -.- even if a few things get removed.

Feb 13, 2008
This:

This is my surprised face.

Perhaps if you didn't base the entire game on leaderboards, you might have a game that people can enjoy - rather than just compete at.

ShakenBake

Sep 6, 2011
There's a little game already out on the PC called Battlefield 3. It's got all the features it promised and then some. They figured it out somehow. Amazing, I know.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Mydogisblue said:
What a loss.
Yeah man, I fell off my chair and now I'm crying a fucking river here.

I mean, consoles get new Elite and we -

Oh wait, not Elite Elite?

Carry on, gents.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
This is getting overblown by the title not really reflecting the whole story.

A) It's free. There's no downside.

B) CoD elite was never feasible for a PC audience, the implication that somehow it was just as able to be implemented on the PC was a fault of the marketing team.

C) PC gamers should be used to getting the shaft from FPS developers who care nothing for the PC because console shooters sell better.

Feb 13, 2008
deth2munkies said:
PC gamers should be used to getting the shaft from FPS developers who care nothing for the PC because console shooters sell better.
Does that honestly make it better? Should Australian gamers just get used to never having 18+ games?

It's a very bad argument that states "Suck it up". For a start, where would the Escapist be without people arguing the toss all day ;)

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
GeorgW said:
all pre-purchased subscriptions would lead to free DLC (this is still something that really needs to happen) they'd be celebrated. Really poor marketing here.
But they never actually offered Elite pre-purchases for the PC. Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop sold the subscriptions and if you went to any of those stores it said available for Xbox360 and PS3 only for quite a long time. So there is basically no PC user that has put down any money for Elite. Hell I called up their customers service a couple of times to try and get a pre-purchase on the subscription because I actually wanted the discount on the DLC.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Remember back in the days of CoD 4? You had your own stats and that was it. There were no leaderboards for people to fap off to and no achievements. You played the game to play the game, not to boost your ego. I laughed when Xbox had to pay for the 4 new maps and PC just got them handed out for free.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Lol. CoD really is quite the polar opposite of BF in a lot of ways and completely similar in a lot of ways.

BF shafts console players and CoD shafts PC players. Neither really intended to, just that they were designed with the opposite foremost in mind.

BF needs teamwork and deeper strategies tend to win over faster trigger fingers, CoD you can enjoy even without a good team.

matell

Oct 13, 2010
well I for one am glad. at least they're making elite free, to me that's what matters, now i wont be missing anything compared to every other PC gamer.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Rednog said:
GeorgW said:
all pre-purchased subscriptions would lead to free DLC (this is still something that really needs to happen) they'd be celebrated. Really poor marketing here.
But they never actually offered Elite pre-purchases for the PC. Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop sold the subscriptions and if you went to any of those stores it said available for Xbox360 and PS3 only for quite a long time. So there is basically no PC user that has put down any money for Elite. Hell I called up their customers service a couple of times to try and get a pre-purchase on the subscription because I actually wanted the discount on the DLC.
Ah, well that's a lot better then. But what about the CoD expo, didn't they give out a year of elite there?