Call of Duty to get WoW-Like Subscriptions?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
gbemery said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, it would help get rid of the little kids. Some of them, at least.
Oh, my, god...are you saying you would pony up the money for that?
No. The community sucks, kids or no. Everyone blames the other guy for hacking or using some "Cheap" perk.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Congrats Activision buttheads. Go ahead. Make my day. And then watch the number of online players plow down like the fucking Dow Jones. For once I decided to play COD and now you decide to fee? What will separate you from EA if you do that, anyway? XBOX guys already pay their online fees and since most of COD players are on XBL, how do you think they are gonna react? Are you asking for a boycott? Have at thee, motherfuckers.

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
GodsClown said:
I want to know who is talking to, because no gamer alive is demanding to have to pay to play their games online. It works for MMO's, MMO's have a LOT of content, and is constantly updated. That will not work for a FPS game, they will never be able to update the game fast enough, and the content will never be challenging enough to hold people over longer then a day.
I agree. Indeed, there is a big difference, and a Pay to Play First person shooter with the same scale of conflict as all the other Call of Duty Series (by which i mean, 8-12-18 players, one match, one map.)

To suddenly make it pay to play is not a matter of necessity, for example keeping the servers afloat, they do it perfectly fine the way it is. Suddenly making it pay to play would make it a matter of pure greed.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Acrisius said:
Guild Wars 2 won't have that, it will have an open, instance-free world, and still there is no way from NcSoft's side that they would add a fee to it. The developers themselves have assured the community of this several times.

*edit* I was supposed to quote a guy...oh well, my point is, the whole "we must charge like whores to continually support and maintain our game" is a load of manure, and anyone buying this bullshit are, sadly, gullible morons.
And any one who think game developers should work for free to support their favorite hobby is an even bigger one.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Good thing I never cared for cod piece may it die a violent death and take activision down with it....

But anyway for games like this a 2-3$ monthly fee you can get 50$ off of if you pay a year up front is not a bad idea, but the pings and speeds have to be hell of a lot better not to mention 20$ worth of free stuff a month for having to pay the monthly. I mean if wow is making hundreds of millions anyone with a pop MP game can make millions with 2-4$ a month and 30-40$ up front..... then again they want 70$ a game and 25$ a month ......

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
cainx10a said:
Acrisius said:
Guild Wars 2 won't have that, it will have an open, instance-free world, and still there is no way from NcSoft's side that they would add a fee to it. The developers themselves have assured the community of this several times.

*edit* I was supposed to quote a guy...oh well, my point is, the whole "we must charge like whores to continually support and maintain our game" is a load of manure, and anyone buying this bullshit are, sadly, gullible morons.
And any one who think game developers should work for free to support their favorite hobby is an even bigger one.
Its as simple as either you go with the 30-50$ a game and support it, 20-70$ game and no support or 10-50$ game with a 5-25$ monthly superscription to pay for support. You a a game dev have those choices, if you can not keep to one you may as well go out of business and let someone else do it better... there are more than enough people ready and able to replace any stagnating developer or publisher.

Xandre

Jan 14, 2009
Oh, effing hell he's just killed his franchise! Damn, this had better be one hell of an elaborate prank. Charging for an FPS? It'll help kill their 360 sales for sure! And making what was once free pay-to-play is about as smart as eating arsenic. Activision employees, sell your stocks starting... NOW! GOGOGOGO!!

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
gbemery said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, it would help get rid of the little kids. Some of them, at least.
Oh, my, god...are you saying you would pony up the money for that?
No. The community sucks, kids or no. Everyone blames the other guy for hacking or using some "Cheap" perk.
Oh, thank you I was worried for you there for a moment.

Spongebobdickpants

Oct 6, 2009
no dedicated servers and now plans to force subsciption IW suck my balls i wouldnt pay monthly for ANY game not even ur overhyped pos

GOATOFRAGE

Jun 20, 2008
for this too work Activision would need to provide seriously high levels of clan support as well as frequent upgrades and changes
and the reason WOW has a subscription is because its an MMO
i seriously worry about how these big companies are gonna ruin gaming
valve ftw!!

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
Umm.. The amount of online content required for cod pales in comparison to blizzard. One blizzard worker probably does more work in a day then the entire activision gaming division.

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
SilentVirus said:
I got the game on the PS3 for a reason... I looked forward to multiplayer on CoD MW2 and I didn't want to pay for Xbox Live any longer. And after beating the game you want to see how good you are compared to playing other people.A subscription shouldn't be necessary if they made money from 7 Million copies in one day and they money is still rising. Besides, I wonder if Xbox Live users will have to pay more if that's the case.
They made approximately 100 millions USD+ in net profits from COD MW2. That's not even counting them most likely weasling IW out of their cut because they were a in-house company.

Marq said:
I fucking hate all of you. STOP PAYING FOR STUPID SHIT! Especially you (yes you, the moron reading this).
It's not witty to use somebody else's joke.

Scumpernickle

Sep 16, 2009
What a great way to suck more money out of their legion of loyal followers. They think about what makes themselves happy, not their followers, because they know that almost all of them would pay at least $30 for more new things.

Very crafty.

Doughboy0

Sep 24, 2009
Well, IF they were to add a fee, think of all the content they would have to add in order to make it really worth the fee.

While it would be an extra thing you would have to pay for, It could be good due to the amount of extra content. It's sort of a win for us while being a win for them.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Acrisius said:
cainx10a said:
Acrisius said:

Well aren't you a sharp-tongued little demon? :)

I have no need to prove anything, Guild Wars is already an excellent example. I doubt the Guild Wars people are working for free over at ArenaNet and NCsoft, don't you? It's all a matter of HOW they make their money, I was merely saying that it's obviously possible to make money without becoming bitches. An FPS game has never had a subscription requirement BEFORE, so only something as stupid as the public would allow them to do something like that NOW. Didn't Valve try to do that back in CS 1.3 or 1.4 or something? I don't remember, but it obviously didn't work :)
Guild Wars is not a MMORPG, yeah, it's Multiplayer RPG for sure, but it does not have the components of a typical MMO that would warrant monthly payments. The towns were merely lobbies where players would trade and group up, and the heavily instanced game in turn only reflected the Online CRPG nature of Guild Wars.

Then again, ANET released 2 Campaigns and one Expansion pack as well as introduced micro-transaction elements to get moar moneh . I purchased the 2 campaigns ($50 each) and the Expansion pack ($30+), as well as more than 5 character slots, the PvP pack ($50) for Nightfall because I didn't have the time to unlock everything for my PvP toons. Fact is, Guild Wars allowed the players who wanted to play without having to buy anything else to have a good, if not, great time.

But the new elements the other campaigns introduced pretty much warranted that players who wanted the best form of entertainment in Guild Wars, MUST purchase those so-called new chapters, whether Factions to enjoy playing as an assassin class or fight in casual PVP like Alliance Battle or Nightfall to enhance their PvE experience with a wonderfully crafted high-level focus campaign as well as customizable henchmen (heroes).

So yeah, it was F2P, but you did spend a fair bit of money on it. The game is currently available on steam, the trilogy for $25. A friend just purchased it, so I'll be playing it along with l4d2/mw2 .

No free-2-play online games including mmos and other action games like Combat Arms would last without monkeys spending peanuts in their online store for tastier bananas.

Guild Wars was never a really free experience if you consider that expansions and add-ons sales were needed to generate revenue over those years. And as far as I can remember, for a free game, it only had around 1 million to 2 million people (and that was eons ago, I doubt that many are still around), compared to WoW with it's ever increasing numbers.

Now, if you are going to talk about an FPS game, dare I say, FPSMMO, which is not completely unheard of, and by no mean, another CoD game targeted at moi who likes his MW2 free-2-play experience with DLC to bolster the experience and increase the lifespan of the product. However, in the greater scheme of FPS games, BF2 is where it's at for Fun+War-Stuff. Maybe BF3 will gameplay type that doesn't just involve capping flags conquest-style.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
They are probably just saying they talked to people who wanted this when they really didn't because come on who the hell really wants to pay more money to exactly what you can now? Nobody that's who. Anyway if they say they asked people they think it'll go over smoother if and when they do it. Because they can fall back and say what? you asked us to do it! =D