Cambridge Deems Twilight Worthy of Analysis

hebdomad

May 21, 2008
Elesar said:
I'm entirely against this. I understand it's a pop culture thing and I understand it's a phenomenom but it's not worthy of study, because there is NOTHING underneath it. You want to study a pop culture thing? Study the 2004 Battlestar Galactica. Study District 9 or Moon. Study Final Fantasy VII or Silent Hill 2. Fuck, you want vampires? Study Let the Right One In. Those are all things that have deeper meanings and, more importantly are well made. Shit is shit. Don't care how popular it is, nothing can unshit the shit. I don't care why people like this shit, STUDYING it will make them feel more justified in liking it.
Next thing you know we'll be studying Jonas Brothers alongside the Beatles in music.
*sigh* quit being such a modernist twit. The fact is, twilight is popular, and like it or not, its apart of our culture now (despite how bad it may be). To say we should only study the great artworks of our time will only give you a very narrow view of the culture we live in, as ones persons rubbish, is anothers masterpiece (or cash cow).

Break said:
It seems more likely that they're studying from a cultural perspective - why it's popular, considering its qualities (or lack thereof), and what writers should do to make a similarly powerful impact on teenagers, without being quite so shit. It's the fact of the phenomenon which is an interesting study, more than the merits of the book alone - after all, when the most well-known book of a generation holds such a reprehensible message, surely it's important to try and find why it can be so successful, in spite of its numerous flaws?
^ Exactly. ^

Stevo_s

Working on Avatar
Jan 24, 2010
Yawn... hmmm? oh everyone reacting the way I expected.. It's whatever.
Twilight is an alright read. I read all four books they were fun. Interesting that they would analyze it. Then they could know how to control the masses.
going back to sleep.

kawaiiamethist

Nov 21, 2009
I'd be shocked, but when I worked at the University of Wollongong, I attended a two day seminar event in which researchers discussed their findings on the impact of Hello Kitty and anime and manga on females and fan consumers. Two of them even discussed the yaoi phenomenon, pointing out how Australian laws made it near impossible to research the topic (in the past, imported yaoi comics had to be destroyed because the suits were afraid they were pedophilic).

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
*eyetwitch* Never going to Cambridge. EVER! (Like I'd have a hope in Hell anyway)

While it might be interesting to study from a cultural point of view, I know I'd like to see some of the papers from the students who analyze the books. It would probably be a better read than the book being analyzed.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
Alright, I get all the hate here, I read the first book as long as I was able (Four or five pages) before giving it back to the friend who lent it to me, it's trash, but it's hell of interesting to study it from a cultural standpoint. How it became a smash it with little to no advertising, at a point where kids don't really like to read books bigger than their fucking heads, that's interesting.
So, when you think about it, it actually IS worth studying. Culturally. And a little bit from a literary standpoint as well, as I've never read a book that could make something boring MORE boring than it already is.

A big red rooster

Jul 9, 2009
Oh ho, one of the professors at my university made twilight one of the required readings for a first-year seminar class. Thank God I don't have that class.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
MR T3D said:
at least almost all the others have appeal to both sexes, this.... this...

THIS IS MADNESS!
im guessing u where trying to see how many people would quote u with"this is sparta" right?
OT: god the world is coming to an end...and that end sparkles

nicholaxxx

Jun 30, 2009
Sir Kemper said:
MR T3D said:

THIS IS MADNESS!
THIS. IS. TWILIGHT!

*Boot*

Sorry, i couden't help myself...
somebody had to do it...

OT: what. the. HELL? why tWHYlight of all thing?

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Okay, I'm glad that they are adding videogames and comics to the curriculum, and I can even understand Harry Potter to a certain extent... but why Twilight? The only thing that is to be learned from that (and its reverse twin, Bloodrayne) is: sex appeal sells to both genders.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Frankly, I'm for it. It's a good topic to pursue, with regards to Pop Culture Studies: pick the lowest common denominator, and analyze the hell out of it. Ten years ago, it would have been Pokemon.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Results: "We have fully analyzed that this series is shit. We realize that this is common knowledge, however we needed a break plus in between research projects. We were able to use the extra funds after purchasing all the books to go on a 2 week bender."
The analysis once completed

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
What.

*Brain explodes*

But seriously, news like this makes me extremely glad that A) Nobody can make me take a course analyzing Twilight (I knew getting older had some advantages!) and B) Even if they could, I'm a business major, so they wouldn't - the faffing about we leave to Journalism and English majors.

A big red rooster

Jul 9, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
You know what would be a good person to analyze in Literature?

DOUGLAS. FUCKING. ADAMS.

Fuck this Twilight shit, the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy would be a much better novel for people to read.
Also, I agree with the above statement.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
MR T3D said:

THIS IS MADNESS!
MADNESS...THIS IS TWILIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8fo3C26S1o

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Seems pretty obvious to me. Studying trends has been a major part of Psychology/Sociology for years

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Wow... never thought I'd be so glad to not be in school right now (aside from, you know, getting to play more video games).