Cambridge Deems Twilight Worthy of Analysis

kawaiiamethist

Nov 21, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
kawaiiamethist said:
I'd be shocked, but when I worked at the University of Wollongong, I attended a two day seminar event in which researchers discussed their findings on the impact of Hello Kitty and anime and manga on females and fan consumers. Two of them even discussed the yaoi phenomenon, pointing out how Australian laws made it near impossible to research the topic (in the past, imported yaoi comics had to be destroyed because the suits were afraid they were pedophilic).
sorry, this is going to bother me if i dont ask, how do they feel about Pedo Bear?
I've heard no mentions of Pedo Bear. I like to think he speaks for himself, anyway ^^0

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
I'm glad i re-read the topic, on the front page it gets cut down to
"Cambridge Deems Twilight Worthy of Anal"

-BloodRush-

Dec 15, 2009
education has been taking a beating for a while now, however, once it got to this point, it stings like hell.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Therumancer said:
I don't think they're researching Twilight because it's hip. I think (or at least hope) that they're looking into why it is so popular. I hope that the education system doesn't pervert it into something that it isn't: good. Between reading "Kubla Khan" and The Life of Pi I've come to the conclusion that the only thing worse than literary elitists dismissing a masterpiece is when they worship a piece of dross.
__

On the bit about analyzing video-games, I completely disagree. If we as gamers cannot think critically enough to analyze the video games we play then the whole "Games as Art" philosophy is rendered illegitimate by the very same people who created it. All forms of storytelling should be analyzed. That doesn't mean that they should all be worshiped without very good reason. This is why I reject abstract art until someone can reason its value to me.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
As much as I hate Twilight, it's quite a bold and understandable move for a University. And as already hinted in the OP, there's always a chance this could lead onto people analysing FFVII or Metal Gear Solid, Evangelion or Studio Ghibli titles, which ain't no bad thing.

Try and see the plus side of this people.

insectoid

Aug 19, 2008
They do have a point, in studying why it is so popular; yet I can't stop myself recoiling at the thought of having to do so myself.

Michael826

Aug 17, 2009
Elesar said:
Next thing you know we'll be studying Jonas Brothers alongside the Beatles in music.
if this ever happens, i will lose all faith in the human race... i've already lost a fair bit:D

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
I predict that THIS is how the internet will react:

[HEADING=2]"GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!"[/HEADING]
Not just the internet... /shudders

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
DrDeath3191 said:
scotth266 said:
DrDeath3191 said:
Studying the impact of media on kids is an interesting field of study. I just wish they'd pick a better book than Twilight. Replace that with Artemis Fowl, or the Bartimaeus Trilogy, and we'll be golden.
Someone else read the Bartimaeus Trilogy? Hooray!
Yup. They're good books, what can I say?
I did too, 'twas a good series if I remember correctly. It's been a few years :)

And... Hmm, well I can sort of see where they're coming from. I've not read Twilight personally, but it's a good case study for something that went from near-obscurity to inescapable rubbish in a very short time.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
SHIT FUCK GODDAMMIT ASS-
Good news about the other stuff, but I can't help but feel that Twilight doesn't merit any real level of academic study. It's just Harlequin Romance lite from what I've heard.
HOLES STUPID SONS A BITCHES

MasterKirov

Nov 8, 2009
MR T3D said:
THIS IS MADNESS!
THIS. IS. SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm sure in the subject of litriture delights they'll be adding that disasterous C&C 3 novel while they're at it.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Ahh, I've managed to read a page, and all I see is gamers who think they know more about what can be studied than a Cambridge professor. When it comes to believability, they're up there with Steven Hawkins, Nelson Mandella and Steven Fry.

Also, the main point of this is the increasing of legitimacy it gives to studying video games (which, you know, could have been reported instead of Twighlight. The Escapist is worse than the fangirls...). Last year I was refused a student bank account because games design "isn't a real course" but if Cambridge starts looking into it, maybe future years will be able to afford to eat more than three times a week AND study games without living at home.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
It's not that bad of an idea, because now we will finally find out why people like it so much, as well having reasons why it is horrid.