camping, am i the only one that has a real problem with campers?

Nikita89

May 24, 2008
I can't stand campers. They're not just annoying, I haaaaaate them... They COULD just play point and click adventures instead of shooters!

And I always go into "aggro"-mode if they kill me, mostly trying to bash them from behind. :>

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
keyton777 said:
i play FPS games, and in the online multi-player, i find a lot of campers, i think this is beyond annoying, i get that its a strategy that some people use to win, but come on every map?
in call of duty 5 world at war, on the upheaval map, i think thats what its called, if you have played the game its the one with church bell tower, one of the guys on the other team ever time he came back to life he went to the bell tower, and he did it like a handicapped blind squirrel, i was waiting for him infront of the stairs going up the tower and he ran right by me 3 times, and i killed him all three times.
campers shouldnt talk trash after games either, it doesnt make much sense and all of them do it, its just going to make everyone not play the game with you because you camp and because you take the challenge out of it for your team, and the other team.

if you have ways of dealing with them in-game, i wouldnt mind knowing to tell the truth, i dont like campers and seriously.

(camper: person that sits and hides in one spot and isnt sniping, this is also known as spawn-camping, in the case this person is shooting into the opposing teams spawing area.)

i mean no offence to those that do camp buy this article, and if you do, oh well not much i can do, then again i dont really care what a camper thinks
This is something that game designers should work on. There should be area where camping is not really an option or some sort of penalty for not moving around enough in game.

I mostly play Battlefield Bad Company for my multi-player FPS fix. You do get some minor cases of camping but campers are quickly taken care of as the map is constantly evolving, staying in one place will not do you any good as the game quickly moves on.

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
I think it isn't so much the camping in itself that annoys people, it's the basic concept of what it is: an unfair fight. Before people start talking about how it's a strategy in real life, remember that real life has almost nothing to do with combat games. People cannot jog forever without any sign of fatigue affecting their accuracy. Hospitals do not operate on a 'pick up a rectangle bag' system. Planes do not use expensive weaponry on a single sniper nor are airstrikes called in by simple grunts based solely on killstreaks. The real world has nothing to do with games.

My second observation is that I don't see a distinction between spawn camping and camping 'in the field'. Both involve someone shooting you/ attacking you in a way that gives you no reasonable time to react. Both can theoretically be solved, as so many people have correctly suggested, by running and throwing grenades. There is no real distinction between the two actions. The OP and many others have expressed annoyance at the fact that they aren't given a fair chance to fight back and the circumstances give their opponents an unfair advantage which gives them easy kills.

Many people who have expressed disdain at such claims have then talked about how they abhor spawn camping, expressing annoyance at the fact that they aren't given a fair chance to fight back and the circumstances give their opponents an unfair advantage which gives them easy kills.

I could be wrong and I don't mean to offend/ antagonise anyone but this seems hypocritical.
As for the grenade solution... this doesn't really cater for the probable event that, upon discovering a camper ahead, I don't have any grenades left...

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
keyton777 said:
I was waiting for him infront of the stairs going up the tower and he ran right by me 3 times, and i killed him all three times.
That makes you a camper.
Also, campers are really easy to kill.

zauxz

Mar 8, 2009
When i used to play counter strike, i had this server, where i sometimes just sat, observing the game and counting a camp-kill as a -1. Players loved me for that.

keyton777

Aug 14, 2008
Cajt said:
keyton777 said:
I was waiting for him infront of the stairs going up the tower and he ran right by me 3 times, and i killed him all three times.
That makes you a camper.
Also, campers are really easy to kill.

Ahh more ignorance, read the res of the fourm please, i wasnt camping that instance, i was moving around and coming back to see if he was there and kiling him if he was, and i know campers are easy to kill, dont call me a hypocrite just because you were to lazy to read something

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
keyton777 said:
i play FPS games, and in the online multi-player, i find a lot of campers, i think this is beyond annoying, i get that its a strategy that some people use to win, but come on every map?
in call of duty 5 world at war, on the upheaval map, i think thats what its called, if you have played the game its the one with church bell tower, one of the guys on the other team ever time he came back to life he went to the bell tower, and he did it like a handicapped blind squirrel, i was waiting for him infront of the stairs going up the tower and he ran right by me 3 times, and i killed him all three times.
campers shouldnt talk trash after games either, it doesnt make much sense and all of them do it, its just going to make everyone not play the game with you because you camp and because you take the challenge out of it for your team, and the other team.

if you have ways of dealing with them in-game, i wouldnt mind knowing to tell the truth, i dont like campers and seriously.

(camper: person that sits and hides in one spot and isnt sniping, this is also known as spawn-camping, in the case this person is shooting into the opposing teams spawing area.)

i mean no offence to those that do camp buy this article, and if you do, oh well not much i can do, then again i dont really care what a camper thinks
I can't see where you're saying that, explanation please?

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Has anyone here noticed that all the really good players in fps's never complain about campers, noobs, spamming etc. ?

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
C Lion said:
It's irritating, but whatever. It's not against any rules, deal with it. There are ways to dig campers out.
you are completely right. I only camp as a sniper, ie. when it doesn't matter because I will still kneecap players from the other side of the map.

grimmmy

Apr 1, 2009
I am the only one that doesn't mind playing against campers?
Like you said yourself, (thread creator that is), you got 3 easy kills.

In both COD4 and COD5, the maps have been designed so that there isn't any real camping spots, or none that are easily countered.

An example being, the clock tower on upheaval. Even if you do make it up the stairs to the top, there is little to no cover and the whole world expects someone to be sat there. Its the worst place to camp due to ease of death.

For those not camping, its +1 for kills.

For me, thats the only way I can see camping. They might get you once, but if you haven't learnt that someone is there (they even give you a killcam) then a change in gameplay is required?

Edit: Oh, and Hi :)

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
i feel the same way unless ur after a do not die point bonus then camp out of the fight with back to the game but just sitting in one place is stupid if ya want to camp go outside and pitch a tent ,and let others play , and as for being a sniper that is almost impossible , i don't stay still long enough

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
I like to camp. I enjoy waiting for someone to show his head in my sights so I can shoot it off with a sniper rifle from a safe spot. I think its another element of a decent shooter and a challenge other players will have to learn to overcome. Besides, running around in an open field guns blazing just isnt my idea of a tactical plan to win a war.

I never camp spawn points or things like that. I just enjoy sniping. Why would developers include sniper rifles and high vantage points if they wouldnt want people using them to their benefit?

Kazturkey

Mar 1, 2009
Campers are whining little noobs who can't play the game like real men (Or women) and get pissed off and camp when their Kill/Death goes below 0.2

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
This seems a lot like that time when I was playing cod 5 and at the end someone on the other team said "Damn! where did you guys learn to fight?". he was 6 kills to about 40 deaths. just because you are on the winning team does not make you or your way of fighting good.

Yuriatayde

Sep 10, 2008
Every argument has been said by now so I'll keep my answer short...

If you don't like campers, play Deathmatches.

In deathmatches, you WILL LOSE if you're not running around guns blazing like a headless chicken. If you run into a camper, just avoid that area and bam; he won't get any points, he'll lose.

Otherwise, you're complaining because you're losing, and that's childish, get over it or ragequit.

(directed at nobody in particular, also; spawncampers obviously still suck)

Sir_Montague

Oct 6, 2008
CoD 5 is Modern Warfare 2 I'm pretty sure... But aside from that, I too have encountered your problem, in CoD4. It is a pain in the ass, and while it is useful occasionally, it lacks the necessary equipment for enjoying a game. Having fun playing it. Yeah, it's great to pwn everyone who is actually playing and putting strategy into the game, but it takes the challenge out of every map, and once people understand the gist of what you're doing you're dead. So enjoy the game, the killing, etc while running around a little?

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Ultrajoe said:
Valiance said:
Camping is an inherently flawed strategy unless the map is severely imbalanced. ... If the game actually rewards campers, it's a poorly designed game.
I guess reality is poorly designed, huh?

Camping is effective, sensible and not unbreakable to anyone with half a brain. It's another move in a cloud of moves, each one counterable and each one avaliable for everyone. It's not like you cant pull a cheap tactic, you're all on the same board with the same pieces.

Now i'm going back to my RTS's, where we know a thing or two about real cheap tactics.

Tyranids are just a whole new way to Zerg rush, baby, and i thought they were fun on the tabletop!
Yeah, screw reality. It's so unrealistic because it's not always fair.

epicfailgamer

Mar 30, 2009
keyton777 said:
nope just wanted to see if he would come back, i moved after i killed him, sorry for not mentioning it, it was hardcore teamdeath match, so theres a certain amount of time before he was going to comeback
so i waited for him to spawn and waited in the stairs, he was in the belltower the whole time

as i said i forgot to mention i moved after each time i killed him
if they have a sniper or is playying a sniper class then ya i suppose i dont mind camping cuase that is that point of a sniper but if u mean for example guy sits in one entrance room with 1 hit kill weapon waiting for u to come in the room and there are no nade then yes that dose piss me off

MiserableOldGit

Apr 1, 2009
I dont have a problem with campers- in fact I quite like it. I dont camp myself, as I've found it will get you killed as often as it pays off, and then there are the times you sit there feeling like Robinson Crusoe while all the fun is had on the other side of the map.
Beating campers is easy, provided the level design of whatever game your playing is up to scratch. When you fall foul of a camper, try to work out what their thinking and hoping you will do, then do something different. Any map worth its salt will have more than one route to any given point, so if you get picked off taking one route, dont go that way again, take a different route, and if poissible, crack em over the back of the head with a melee attack to rub salt into the wounds.
In a team game its even easier - get a teammate to distract the camper by popping out of cover, then back in, firing off a few rounds but not taking any risks, while a second ( and third if possible) player flanks and frags em.
You always know where a camper is after their first few kills, use this to your advantage. If they dont get the message and return to that point upon respawning, stick around yourself and ambush the sucker.
A sharp mind and thought out patrol route will always yield more results - if your wandering around like a bewildered puffin you'll get blasted whatever tactics the opposition are employing.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Hate camping. Namely because I enjoy running and gunning and don't have the attention span to sit in one spot and geting 3 kills and one death the entire game.