Can a game be too long?

zega frega omega

Dec 5, 2010
I don't think I've ever heard someone complain about a game being too long. Too short, god yes, but never too long. (A bit like penis.) So, tell us in your honest opinion, what game(s) would you consider too long?

I personally think a game that is too long would be one with long stretches of game play between story.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
For as much fun as it is, I would say Just Cause 2 is a little too long. If not long, then big. Way too massive. I believe I've played about 50 hours without even scratching the surface.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Xenogears is too long.

The original Final Fantasy Tactics is pretty damn long too, but at least its fun.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I have never come across a game I thought was too long.

Games littered with ridiculous fetch quests and several "bring me x butt-plants" with unreasonably huge x's would make a game frustratingly long.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Never. I want bang for my buck and love grinding. I am designed to enjoy 80+ hour games like Disgaea.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Okami almost seems to trail off into some rant in the end. The game could pretty much end at several points.

First you slay this demon, then you kill this other demon, then you kill this other demon. But I'm not finished. It's all about aliens. And you fight one. And your friend is an alien too. And you're like, what the fuck.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Someone said Dragon Age: Origins was far too long, but that's just a bullshit claim, in my opinion. I blame that on those newfangled games and their 6 hour campaigns and those crazy kids with their hippity hop music and their shorts down low. Back when I was a lad, I had to walk to the store through 59 feet of snow, and then had to buy a 60 hour game and play it through all the way!
What? Get off my lawn you hippies!

OT: There isn't one, for me. I enjoy long games, so games with 50-300 hours worth of play time are always nice.
Especially considering that most single player games nowadays are only between 6-15 hours of playing, which can get pretty annoying and wallet-damaging.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Short is answer is yes, of course, but it's much less common than not long enough (not necessarily the same as too short).

There are plenty of games that are maybe a little short, but if you take the entirety of it as is and try to pump in a little more length to the story, then it will be too long. It's not really a strong point on the side of shorter length (and I don't want it to be), because you can design it to be longer from the start, but still. Some examples I can think of would be Heavy Rain, God of War 3, um... I have definitely said this before but I don't if it was here or elsewhere.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Also, Assassin's Creed. That game just wouldn't end. I loved it, but it reminded me of Return of the King. Just end already!!

Funk Engine

Aug 12, 2010
I don't have any examples, but it is completely possible. It's not a matter of length, but one of content. I've played 4 hour games with enough material to fill a 7 hour game, and had a blast every second, and conversely, I've played 10 hour games that ran out of good ideas 2 hours in and had you repeat the same actions over and over. That's the crux. If a game can go on for 50 hours and keep things fresh and interesting, power to it. If not, cut it back.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Most of the Tales games are too long, IMO. Great for the first playthrough, but going through it again is like pulling teeth, especially if you are a completionist.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
PeePantz said:
For as much fun as it is, I would say Just Cause 2 is a little too long. If not long, then big. Way too massive. I believe I've played about 50 hours without even scratching the surface.
TOO big? I think it's perfect. It's really the only recent console game that gives you that sense of scale.

Raistlinhawke

Nov 28, 2009
A game's length can be tiring only if the core experience itself becomes repetitive to the player. Granted, many are designed for epic RPGs, but they lose their story than not even the stalwart fans are going to stick around.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Only if it draggs itself out and loses the fun factor
Okami dragged out but was still great
Kill Orochi- good job, now go find it's evil soul that escaped.
go back in time and kill Super Orochi-Yay but it's spirit turned into NineTails
Kill Ninetails-Hooray! too bad it summoned the king of darkness
Kill king of darkness- ok there you go NOW you won.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Phlakes said:
PeePantz said:
TOO big? I think it's perfect. It's really the only recent console game that gives you that sense of scale.
I have gaming OCD and try to cover every square inch. When it feels like I haven't progressed at all after fifty hours, I get slightly irritated. I love the size, but do to how I am, I feel it's a little too big. I know that's what makes the game fantastic, and I agree, but it makes me a little overwhelmed.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
It really depends for me.

Is it "too long", but with lots of content that you're constantly exploring? Then yeah, that's cool.

Is it "too long" because you spend a lot of time running from Point A to Point B on the map or because it's got lots of boring dialogue? Then no thanks.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
I think a game can be, but there's not a definitive mark where I can say "If a game is X hours long, it's too long." I think it depends on how the game is structured. If you're spending hours doing pointless, menial tasks that have little to no impact on the game. Or you spend hours doing small tasks without seeing significant progression in the plot.