Can a good story make up for weak gameplay?

Sep 14, 2009
absolutely. there are an over abundance amount of games out there with average to great gameplay, but there are very few gems out there (imo) that actually have great stories that really push me through the game.

if i want just plain old gameplay, i have thousands of games to play through for that. ill spend 30-40 bucks top on those games.

if i want a game with a great story that will leave an epic mark on me forever? ill give 100 bucks to buy it!

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
I'm looking into games for stories, as I absolutely can't read unless it's really involving or just involves most of my senses.

RadicalDreamer90

May 11, 2009
Funny thing is in one shape or fashion there is a story in every game. Story being merely a substitute word for the goal of the game. For example, In Final Fantasy, the point in the very end of each game regardless of the narrative before the events is to fight through such and such amount of battles to save the world. So the creators created plot and drama to make the venture more interesting. (Being a Final Fantasy fan it's fun to notice the game technically doesn't change, you just get there differently)

Old school games only needed a simple story like Save the Princess in Mario's case, and they didn't need to add more and more to it, but as you've noticed with more recent iterations of the Mario franchise, the story is more complex, there are more characters, and there is slightly more depth to the happenings in these worlds.

Stories in games are basically what the fuck your doing in it, so yes, story is just as important as the game-play, because it's what your doing. The story represents the idea of what you spend the game doing, and the game-play is just how the developers implemented or expressed that idea.

I don't know how many people would play a game about jacking off, even if the game-play was really fun, and conversely not many people would play a game with Lord of the Rings caliber story telling and game-play reminiscent of Pong. There needs to be a balance between the two, however there are plenty of games that lean to one or the other side and still do well.

StarCraft and Halo Final Fantasy and Mass Effect

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I've heard that the story of MGS4 was excellent. Sadly, I didn't find the gameplay to be intriguing enough to make me play all the way through.

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
Oh yeah sure because a GAME with bad GAMEplay but a great story is definitely worth my £30-£50, when I could've just watched the cutscenes online for free and gotten the same feeling.

Good gameplay can forgive bad stories IMO because if it is fun who the hell cares why you just blew up that...wait was that an enemy or an ally or what? Ah who the f*ck cares that was awesome! - See my point, the fun factor can forgive all.

A good story can't forgive bad gameplay because wow, that cutscene really made me feel for that character, really makes you think about the complexities of man and WHY THE F*CK WONT THAT THING DIE!!! ARGGGHHHH! I HATE YOU! YOU PIECE OF SH*T I WANT MY MONEY BACK

Gameplay is the sweet insides, the story is the pastry, I don't care if the pastry is stale if the inside is great but if the pastry is great and inside tastes bad I aint eating it.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
The original Mass Effect played horribly in my opinion. Combat felt more like a chore, the Cover system was fucked up and the AI and vehicle sections...well don't get me started on those, but it was one of the best stories I had heard in a while and I liked it. The same could go to Kotor,whose combat scenarios haven't exactly aged well, yet once again, it makes up for it and is a great game to play.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
ReaperzXIII said:
Oh yeah sure because a GAME with bad GAMEplay but a great story is definitely worth my £30-£50, when I could've just watched the cutscenes online for free and gotten the same feeling.

Good gameplay can forgive bad stories IMO because if it is fun who the hell cares why you just blew up that...wait was that an enemy or an ally or what? Ah who the f*ck cares that was awesome! - See my point, the fun factor can forgive all.

A good story can't forgive bad gameplay because wow, that cutscene really made me feel for that character, really makes you think about the complexities of man and WHY THE F*CK WONT THAT THING DIE!!! ARGGGHHHH! I HATE YOU! YOU PIECE OF SH*T I WANT MY MONEY BACK

Gameplay is the sweet insides, the story is the pastry, I don't care if the pastry is stale if the inside is great but if the pastry is great and inside tastes bad I aint eating it.
Funny, the games that tend to have the worse storyline tend to be the most frustrating to play and have been ranked as some of my least favorites. Alpha Protocol, Modern Warfare 2, Mirror's Edge just to name a few.

I often find myself going back to games like Alan Wake and Assassin's Creed 2 over playing the newest and supposedly 'fun' games.

Look at Bioshock, the first was herald as a game of the year contender with praise coming from almost everyone who played it, the second one had the exact same game play, right down to similar plasmids, but it received poor reception with fans of the original and honestly, it was one of the biggest disappointments I had ever experienced. What was missing from it? How about the story that kept Bioshock so interesting, the tale behind Rapture, the tale behind you, the pawn. Once you strip Bioshock of all that, it's really no different from your average First Person Shooter.

Good game-play makes a good game. Good Game-play and a Good Story make game of the year contenders.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
astrav1 said:
It matters how weak the game play is. If it is broken gameplay not at all. If it is something like Dreamfall: The Longest Journey than absolutely. (The game is incredibly simple, but the story is so good).
Exactly this. Dreamfall (coupled with The Longest Journey) has one of my favourite stories. But the gameplay is not fun. I prefer it when I don't need to do anything except walk from one place to another. The stealth is bad, but easy to succeed at. The combat is bad, but easy to win. The adventure elements (puzzles etc) are very simple due to the near self-contained nature of all the areas. But none of that matters because the game is still very much playable and an incredible story is carrying you along.

Unless gameplay is flat out broken, then a story can make up for it being poor. Watching cutscenes or reading an LP on the internet may show you what happened, but that won't compare to the immersion of doing those things yourself.

3AM

Oct 21, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
Nope.

If I just wanted a good story, I'd read a book.
Exactly! I don't care at all about story in games. I'm in it for the gameplay and have put down countless games that were revered for their story because I was bored. I get my adventure from books and movies.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
Nope.

If I just wanted a good story, I'd read a book.
The only counter-argument one could make there is that Player Perspective should be considered.
But not nearly enough games take the player into account as a character for that to matter, so I definitely agree.

Qmonster

Sep 20, 2010
The Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver series. Had some gameplay issues (not necessarily weak) but the story made the experience as a whole worth putting up with those problems.

Amax29

Feb 11, 2009
I believe that a game need to have good gameplay, otherwise its just a really long movie that you have to fiddle with the controller to keep watching.