Can a good story make up for weak gameplay?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Heart of Darkness said:
It can, but developers should never count on that. Games are, first and foremost, games, not novels.
DING DING DING! We have a winner! There's only so much crap people are willing to put up with for the story.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Gameplay is, by far, the most important piece of a game (otherwise it isnt a game)
It must work, and it must work well.

Story isnt needed, (bejeweled dont have a story) but if you add one make it good.

bad_dog14

Dec 31, 2009
I really can't put a simple yay or nay down on this matter. In some cases (like indeed with Enslaved), I excuse the gameplay faults cos of the story and characters, but in others I don't. I'd like to explain why, but I can't, as there isn't any specific reason for this.

Rewold

Mar 18, 2010
The story should be really something epic that I would let horrible gameplay slide...Never faced it myself I only buy games which I know will be great.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Apsolutely. Otherwise I wouldn't play old school adventure games.
But...
finding out years later that you can pop the antwerp into a bunch of tiny antwerps by holding your sword above your head is awesome!

Generally, Yes. If the gameplay is weak, I'll deal with it for a good, compelling story. If the gameplay's extremely monotinous, not so much.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
It depends on just how awful the gameplay is. If the game is completely broken, no. And even then, bad gameplay means I probably won't play twice since the story no longer holds as much incentive now that I've already seen it.
However, if it really is a good story then for the first playthrough, the answer is most likely a resounding: Hell yes.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
To an extent. Weak gameplay can be made up for by a good story, but the story has to be strong and there's a level of gameplay that no amount of story can make up for; if the gameplay is TOO weak, story won't help.

Vestsao

Aug 24, 2009
"but I found myself wanting to keep playing to see how the story and how the characters develope."

Well that alone means that for you, the story and narrative compensated for the gameplay deficiency.

I can relate. Heavy Rain's QTE-orientated gameplay meant that quite often the stiff movement, occasionally poorly responsive controls and mediocre actions would act to the detriment of the overall game. But the sheer pressure of getting closer and closer to finding the killer and seeing what awaits certain characters made up for the gameplay.

So yes. An excellent story and narrative can compensate for poor gameplay. However there are limits, the gameplay must be playable. If the gameplay is simply boring but has an excellent story then that's acceptable for some. If the gameplay is unplayable but has an excellent story then that's unacceptable, but you know some people will love it.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
I really don't think it can but i thought the gameplay in enslaved was brilliant. It was just a great game.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
No, I don't care if the story is the best ever told. I didn't sit down to play a story I sat down to play a game, a good story should be there to support the gameplay.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
wgreer25 said:
Will try to keep everything spoiler free since I will be talking about my recent experience with a game...

So I recently finished Enslaved: and I have to say that it had a wonderful story, excelent voice acting, great character development and development of character relationships without getting sappy, and some of the best facial animations I have seen in any game... but the gameplay is a resounding meh (not bad by any means, just meh)... but I found myself wanting to keep playing to see how the story and how the characters develope. Not GOTY material, but considering that most games now-a-days don't even know what a story is or how to develope a charater, I was pleasantly surprised by Enslaved.

So, to discuss, have you had this experience? Where a great story/character has made you want to finish a game dispite it's gameplay flaws. What was the game, and what about it made you forget it's shortcomings.
When you talk about "Story" do you mean the OVERALL game narrative OR the way most developers seem to approach story? As in almost completely separate and only really existing in the cutscenes and really could be totally skippable.

Think back to games before cutscenes, they could tell SO MUCH in the actual gameplay, and it is what makes video games unique as an artform in the sense of storytelling, totally distinct from books(perfect for first person narrative) or screenplays/movies (Third person) games can effectively and powerfully tell a story from a 2nd person narrative perspective.

You don't realise how complex games like Enslaved can be, flitting between 3rd person perspective between the cutscenes (HE jumps, HE says) and the gameplay (YOU jump, YOU say).

If a game can solidify that excellent cutscene narrative into the gameplay then the qualities of one will carry over.

So I'd say that a great story can go a long way to make a great game even if not-so-great gameplay, as the gameplay becomes worth it to get more of the story.

Random Name 4

Oct 23, 2010
Dango said:
*puts up flame shield* No. That's why I hate Mass Effect...
You Bastard...

I honestly prefer most story driven games with average gameplay and a good story as opposed to a game with good gameplay but with a terrible story. In my view, if you rely on gameplay it has to be brilliant, whereas if it is balanced out with story I can get over average gameplay.

ModReap

Gatekeeper
Apr 3, 2008
Story can only half make up for gameplay. If the gameplay itself is terrible the game can only be "okay".

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
It matters how weak the game play is. If it is broken gameplay not at all. If it is something like Dreamfall: The Longest Journey than absolutely. (The game is incredibly simple, but the story is so good).

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
If a game's good point is just the story, that lowers my buying point to approximately the value of a good book: $15.

If a game's good point is just the gameplay, I'll buy it for the price of a boardgame ($20)

If a game's good point is just the visuals, I'll buy it for the price of a full-color poster. ($5)

If a game's good point is just the music, and I like the music, I'll buy it for the price of a new CD. ($10)

Extra good points increase my minimum buying price.

So by what I've been hearing about Enslaved, I'd put the optimal price at ~$30-$40.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
As long as the gameplay isn't terrible then yes, as story can carry a game.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
i would say no, story is not enough after all it is a game and therefore the core compenent is the interactive gameplay. That is what should be core, afterall story can be found in films/books so why would i want to wade through meh to get to the awsome story.