Can a teacher encourage/ignore bullying or even be a bully? Why?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
My teacher never did anything when this kid was screwing with me one day I said fuck it and layed his ass out the teacher just watched and replyed he was asking for it and continued reading his paper.

I hate when teachers dont care and ignore it

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Like I said, it's become worse because of those policies, and those policies were put in to pander to well meaning but very, very stupid parents and special interests. Your generation just had more options for dealing with it than mine did or the current generations of school kids do; the adults ignore it /unless/ you stand up for yourself, and then you get in serious trouble, so you're stuck in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. It's maddening, it can scar you for life, and if you're not lucky enough to have a good support network, you're at an understandably elevated risk of suicide.
That makes more sense, thank you.

When I was young, you could ignore it or fight back.. now it appears as though you can ignore it or tell someone (who may or may not stop it). So, yeah.. I can see how that sucks. I saw lots of people fight back in the end and sometimes it stopped the bullying and sometimes it didn't. It really depends on the type of bullying.

nuba km said:
Well now a days you can be bullied 24/7 so it becomes a whole lot harder to just shake off. As well as that the severity of bullying is different with each person, how regular it is, the number of people doing it, who is doing (i.e. if a boss or a teacher bullies you its a lot worse then a co-worker or fellow student) and I think you generation did have a problem with being bullied but yet again stories about people committing suicide because of it wouldn't be as wide spread as they are now. I also think if you can ignore being bullied through out your entire school life either you are one of the emotionally strongest people there are or that you weren't really bullied to any major point.
Maybe I AM "one of the emotionally strongest people there are".. or maybe I was just more worried about my stepdad killing me in a rage than I was about assholes making my life at school miserable.

Either way, your holier-than-thou lecturing tone is pretty off-putting.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Marter said:
Of course they can. I've heard a lot of instances where telling a teacher did nothing, as well as a couple of times in which the teacher was more of a hindrance than a help.

Why? Well, indifference to the student could be one reason. The teacher in question might also believe that the student should deal with his/her problems alone, as it will build character.
Sometimes, teachers are just jerks. I watched one of my friends get physically accosted by a teacher. I later got in trouble for physically intervening between a TA and a student. Ironically, the TA (who we expect to be more in control) was the one who shoved me. I whacked my head, got sent to the nurse's office, and then for my troubles got sent to the principal and written up.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
HardkorSB said:
So, if I'm being beaten up daily by 5-6 guys bigger and stronger than me, verbally abused and humiliated by a lot more, I am allowing them to do that?
Victim blaming is as old as crime.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Liquidacid23 said:
meh I got bullied when I was very young.. know what I did? stood the fuck up for myself and ended it like a rational person... and now I'm a stronger person for it and have been able to deal and stop it from happening to me again...

god kids need to stop crying and grow a pair

OT: I guess as Dastardly said, it's kind of difficult for them to interfere without having any evidence of the altercation to fall back on and informing the parents isn't so easy when the bullies will often enough have shitty parents who won't want to have to put in the effort of disciplining their kids. And sure, in certain instances I suppose some teachers are just seedy pricks.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
nuba km said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Buleet said:
Liquidacid23 said:
meh I got bullied when I was very young.. know what I did? stood the fuck up for myself and ended it like a rational person... and now I'm a stronger person for it and have been able to deal and stop it from happening to me again...

Alright, explain how you "ended it like a rational person".

The "rational" option we get most of the time is tell the teachers. That doesn't work as you can see from all the things that have been said here already.

beat them up? You get punished and you get more trouble and they will bully you harder.

Tell them to fuck off? NEVER works and makes them laugh at you.

It is complete and utter bullshit that getting bullied makes you stronger. It mentally breaks you. There are people attacking and hating you for nothing but their own kicks. That does not give very beneficial ideas to the young mind leading to the bully-cide phenomenon .
You most likely never really got bullied. At most you were collateral damage once.
lol... need a tissue?

seriously grow up and stop playing the weeping victim
so some one brings up a very strong argument against what you said pointing out that what you said shows an utter lack of understanding the subject and then you simply insult them. so please share with us how you ended it rationally, because I think we would all like to know how you have solved the issue of bullying I mean verbal or physical confrontations don't work neither those getting a authority figure as far as I can tell the only way is to hope it just ends and try your best to ignore it. So what is this magic solution you have?
a combination of cruel manipulation and physical confrontation worked fine for me... maybe you were just doing it wrong... or more likely you never even tried... you just cried to others then cried more when they didn't solve all your problems for you
See my post above. Physical altercation isn't really an option anymore, and "cruel manipulation" sounds more like you were the bully than the bullied.
physical confrontation IS always an option... and I guess if you want to get technical about it what I did to the kids who bullied me could be counted as bulling... but hey fighting fire with fire is called for sometimes... beats crying like a little girl about it for the next decade like some of you seem keen on doing
Do you understand the meaning of the word "zero tolerance policy?" You get suspended, or worse, expelled and sent to an alternative school if you get caught fighting, and it doesn't matter who started it. Fighting makes it worse these days, not better.
ok first then why isn't the bully expelled and sent away? if he isn't you must be talking about nothing but verbal bullying... if that's the case than ya you are just a pussy... grow some thicker skin and man up

besides if you are being bullied bad enough to get all weepy like you are then getting sent to another school is probably a valid option
The "other school" in this case is effectively a prison; it's the step in between a normal school and honest to god juvie hall. And you've just demonstrated that you have no idea what it's like to be bullied, so you just need to shut up about it; it's not about growing a thick skin. I /have/ a thick skin. It's about teachers who don't pay attention until the violence gets to a point they can no longer ignore (like, half the school standing in a circle chanting "fight!" impossible to ignore), and then they don't bother to find out who started it or why, everyone just gets punished equally.
ha I won't lie you got me thinking maybe times had changed so I did some research...and well "zero tolerance" does not mean what you seem to think it does... well anywhere... self defense is never going to get you sent to "another school that is almost juvie hall (been to Juvie and it's like fucking summer camp to be honest) ... so ya nothing more than another excuse as to why you did absolutely nothing for yourself and why everyone should feel so fucking sorry for you course god damn you had it hard as a kid... people said mean things to you... lmao

god people like you are one of the major problems with society today... can't even deal with your own problems as a kid which just transcends into you bitching and still not dealing with your problems as an adult... lets see how many more sob stories and excuses you can come up with as to why YOU did nothing and let yourself be treated like shit while blaming everyone for it
What research are you talking about? I had to deal with zero tolerance policies all the way through school. These are the BS policies that have had kindergartners expelled for playing cops and robbesrs, and young women for having over the counter pain medicine in their purses (think a certain time of the month.) I don't know what you read about zero tolerance policies, but you still don't know what the hell you're talking about, especially not about how they're applied in the real world.

Edit: By the way, I did everything I could about it. But just you try fighting back against four guys who are each twice your size, especially with the threat of of punishment from the school hanging over your head. You do not have a clue what you're talking about. I'd call you a troll, but I won't for two reasons: one, never attribute to malice that which can be better explained by stupidity. Two, I've actually been moderated in the past for calling trolls out on their bullshit.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
nuba km said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Buleet said:
Liquidacid23 said:

The "rational" option we get most of the time is tell the teachers. That doesn't work as you can see from all the things that have been said here already.

beat them up? You get punished and you get more trouble and they will bully you harder.

It is complete and utter bullshit that getting bullied makes you stronger. It mentally breaks you. There are people attacking and hating you for nothing but their own kicks. That does not give very beneficial ideas to the young mind leading to the bully-cide phenomenon .
You most likely never really got bullied. At most you were collateral damage once.
lol... need a tissue?

so some one brings up a very strong argument against what you said pointing out that what you said shows an utter lack of understanding the subject and then you simply insult them. so please share with us how you ended it rationally, because I think we would all like to know how you have solved the issue of bullying I mean verbal or physical confrontations don't work neither those getting a authority figure as far as I can tell the only way is to hope it just ends and try your best to ignore it. So what is this magic solution you have?
a combination of cruel manipulation and physical confrontation worked fine for me... maybe you were just doing it wrong... or more likely you never even tried... you just cried to others then cried more when they didn't solve all your problems for you
See my post above. Physical altercation isn't really an option anymore, and "cruel manipulation" sounds more like you were the bully than the bullied.
physical confrontation IS always an option... and I guess if you want to get technical about it what I did to the kids who bullied me could be counted as bulling... but hey fighting fire with fire is called for sometimes... beats crying like a little girl about it for the next decade like some of you seem keen on doing
Do you understand the meaning of the word "zero tolerance policy?" You get suspended, or worse, expelled and sent to an alternative school if you get caught fighting, and it doesn't matter who started it. Fighting makes it worse these days, not better.
ok first then why isn't the bully expelled and sent away? if he isn't you must be talking about nothing but verbal bullying... if that's the case than ya you are just a pussy... grow some thicker skin and man up

besides if you are being bullied bad enough to get all weepy like you are then getting sent to another school is probably a valid option
The "other school" in this case is effectively a prison; it's the step in between a normal school and honest to god juvie hall. And you've just demonstrated that you have no idea what it's like to be bullied, so you just need to shut up about it; it's not about growing a thick skin. I /have/ a thick skin. It's about teachers who don't pay attention until the violence gets to a point they can no longer ignore (like, half the school standing in a circle chanting "fight!" impossible to ignore), and then they don't bother to find out who started it or why, everyone just gets punished equally.
ha I won't lie you got me thinking maybe times had changed so I did some research...and well "zero tolerance" does not mean what you seem to think it does... well anywhere... self defense is never going to get you sent to "another school that is almost juvie hall (been to Juvie and it's like fucking summer camp to be honest) ... so ya nothing more than another excuse as to why you did absolutely nothing for yourself and why everyone should feel so fucking sorry for you course god damn you had it hard as a kid... people said mean things to you... lmao

god people like you are one of the major problems with society today... can't even deal with your own problems as a kid which just transcends into you bitching and still not dealing with your problems as an adult... lets see how many more sob stories and excuses you can come up with as to why YOU did nothing and let yourself be treated like shit while blaming everyone for it
What research are you talking about? I had to deal with zero tolerance policies all the way through school. These are the BS policies that have had kindergartners expelled for playing cops and robbesrs, and young women for having over the counter pain medicine in their purses (think a certain time of the month.) I don't know what you read about zero tolerance policies, but you still don't know what the hell you're talking about, especially not about how they're applied in the real world.
ah yes more of the "whaaa whaaa it's every one else's fault but mine"

lmao continue with your gross exaggerations and excuses.. it amuses me and I'm sure they have gotten you far in life... haha
What amazes me is that you claim to have been bullied as a kid, and yet you're showing exactly the speech patterns of a middle school bully. Tell me, when you were in juvie, was it for beating up some poor nerd? Crippling issues from your time being bullied hurting you so much that you acted out by becoming that which you hated? Or are does being an asshole just come naturally to you?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
nuba km said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Buleet said:
Liquidacid23 said:

lol... need a tissue?

lmao continue with your gross exaggerations and excuses.. it amuses me and I'm sure they have gotten you far in life... haha
What amazes me is that you claim to have been bullied as a kid, and yet you're showing exactly the speech patterns of a middle school bully. Tell me, when you were in juvie, was it for beating up some poor nerd? Crippling issues from your time being bullied hurting you so much that you acted out by becoming that which you hated? Or are does being an asshole just come naturally to you?
ahh classic deflection ... is that a skill you learned to justify you doing nothing? does it comfort you to blame all your problems on everyone else?

ah and for the record yes I am an asshole because it gets you much further in life than being a whiny little cry baby who blames all life's problems on everything and everyone else instead of taking responsibility and fixing it like you seem to be

so again would you like a tissue?
No, actually, I have no need for a tissue. I really think you do, though; you're showing some classic signs of acting out due to serious emotional scarring. Tell me, how does it feel to know that you are literally the most unlikeable person I've ever run into on the internet? This is the internet we're talking about, and I've spent my fair share of time in its darkest corners.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
Of course they can. Especially when they agree with the bullies.

I make no secret of who I am, or what I believe. A lesbian atheist growing up in the Bible Belt doesn't win friends easily. Especially when close to 75% of the school (teachers included) goes to the same church. A very, very pro-evangelist church. I was outright told by the vice principle that they would not stop the harassment I received, and that I deserved it for my godless ways. I had about five teachers on my side in that school, and the rest were pretty solidly against me. Pretty much as long as the bullies, teachers included, didn't do anything that could be proved, they had free reign to try to make my life as miserable as they liked. Because I was "the Devil's Daughter" (yes, some people at that school actually believed that), and the rules of school and society were on hold for me since the rules of the church came first.

Sounds like a school that needs to be burned down to me. You couldn't record what was going on or anything and turn it into a shitstorm?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
panzertank83 said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Lol, obvious troll is obvious.
Yeah, look at his healthbar; he's one strike away from a permaban. If any mods are reading this, I think you'll find he's violated rule #1 so many times in this thread that if you count 'em up as separate offenses, it would have him in the yellow from a fresh health bar.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Liquidacid23 said:
nuba km said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Buleet said:
Liquidacid23 said:

lol... need a tissue?

ahh classic deflection ... is that a skill you learned to justify you doing nothing? does it comfort you to blame all your problems on everyone else?

ah and for the record yes I am an asshole because it gets you much further in life than being a whiny little cry baby who blames all life's problems on everything and everyone else instead of taking responsibility and fixing it like you seem to be

so again would you like a tissue?
No, actually, I have no need for a tissue. I really think you do, though; you're showing some classic signs of acting out due to serious emotional scarring. Tell me, how does it feel to know that you are literally the most unlikeable person I've ever run into on the internet? This is the internet we're talking about, and I've spent my fair share of time in its darkest corners.
it feels pretty damn good actually... tho I do laugh at your thinking you have seen even close to the "darkest corners" when you can't seem to emotionally handle random people being mean to you
Honestly, man, I just feel sad for you. You're an emotionally stunted 30+ year old with the development of 14 year old bully -- who tend to have a stunted development themselves. You're getting your kicks out of attempting to piss people off on the internet -- which, actually, since you've admitted it, makes you pretty safe to call a troll. That is the definition, afterall.