Can Graphics get much better?

Neyon

May 3, 2009
Graphics on consoles look awful - half the textures seem to be lower resolution than my calculator's tiny screen. There is a lot of room for visual improvement but performance will NOT increase. Developers will do exactly what they have done this generation - raise quality to such a level that the hardware starts to struggle. We don't be seeing 60fps in the next generation, let alone 120.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
They can and will, but next generations equivalent of complaining about short linear games will be complaining that games used to fill more than a single room and could take longer than 25 seconds to finish for their $200 price tags. However tehy will be defended as they only cost about the same as a pair of trainers.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Yes, quite easily. A lot of games use increasingly obvious smoke and mirrors to feign technical improvements.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Hammeroj said:
A direct question to the OP. Have you seen anything that's not on a console? I'm being serious here. Any tech demos, perhaps?
Rack said:
They can and will, but next generations equivalent of complaining about short linear games will be complaining that games used to fill more than a single room and could take longer than 25 seconds to finish for their $200 price tags. However tehy will be defended as they only cost about the same as a pair of trainers.
Just in case that is hyperbolic as opposed to sarcastic, there's no way the next gen will move towards an even worse shape of small-scale'itis that has the current console gen bent over.
That's some level of optimism you have, any reason for this miraculous change in direction?

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
The bar is constantly moving, so it's always getting better. Do we need it? Not necessarily. Do we want it? I don't really care.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Look at your screen... now look out the window... Back to the screen... If you noticed a difference then there is still a way to go! The future will be games with the graphics of today's cutscenes... which is a trend that is continuous and has been since cutscenes came about!

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Graphics do not yet perfectly mimic reality so yes, there is visible room for improvement.

The graphics you see on consoles are outdated, those consoles are like 6 years old.

We have much better tech now, and graphics WOULD get better for everyone (pc included because the console ports are holding pc graphics back) if the current generation of consoles would just die already.

Xiroh86

Jan 7, 2012
Yes, they can get better, but in all honesty I think graphics are the last thing devs should be focusing on right now. They should be trying to make games that have genuine replay-ability.

Tjebbe

Jul 2, 2008
I'm quite sure that when VGA was the best there was, there were people that thought it couldn't get any better.

When full 3d games were introduced (and everything suddenly had to be 3d), the quality of graphics went down initially, IMO. I suspect we'll have some similar change in the future, some radical new technique that we can't even fathom now, or that is now producing what seems like worse graphics but will end up being better once the magical breakthrough point has been reached (say, good quality procedurally generated stuff).

But even the current approaches leave much to be improved; we can always have higher resolutions :) (and maybe more importantly, less memory and computation needed for that so we don't have to have datacenter-style cooling in our systems).

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
of course it can, i bet people thought the same question when 8 bit was brand new. technology is evolving so bloody fast now i wont be surprised in 20 years we'll be having games like Dot.Hack Sigh. now that would be freakin cool!

imagin walking through a fantasy style magical forest or land? experiencing it almost like in real life?

amazing, but yes stupid too, just go outside and walk through a real forest, i know. but ....still, it would be freakin sweet.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
StriderShinryu said:
Absolutely they can get better, and they absolutely should. Having more graphical capability will only allow developers more freedom in what they want to design and create.
Graphics can always improve, but they're not going to be what really progress the gaming industry.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MammothBlade said:
I'll give you complete immersion, 100m underwater chained to a pixellated cinder block... :p
Those waves are totally fake. And pixels? What is this, the 1800s?

I haven't noticed much of a change in graphics over the past few years. Can't tell a 2009 game from one released in 2012. Perhaps that's because graphics hit a plateau with the current generation of consoles. I don't want this to become a PC vs. console thing, that's just how the system works at the moment.

Games companies shouldn't prolapse themselves trying to deliver "next-gen" graphics.
I don't play much on PCs. My graphics card sucks, even, but I still see people lose their shit over the new graphics, or even variation between the two consoles (since "Real Gamers" TM don't support the Wii).

I don't know, I can see it still being an issue. They will spend a billion dollars if it gives them a .000001% improvement.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Graphics tech is pretty nice right about now. We've got all sorts of effects that make stuff look pretty, with normal maps, bump maps, spec maps, diffuse textures, advanced lighting ad shadowing, etc. However, we've gotten to a point where photorealism can be achieved easily, even on the relatively underpowered hardware of today's consoles. A look at Halo 4's cutscenes will often cause one to pause to register that the faces onscreen are in fact CGI, and it's not uncommon for someone to confuse a car from Forza with the real deal. Things can get better, but it's not the visual rendering engines that need to get better.

You see, when going for photorealism, part of that is that we recognize when an object behaves correctly when subjected to various stimuli. For example, the water in Halo's multiplayer maps looks pretty realistic when left alone. But when you subject it to, say, a forge object that should be capable of picking up water or retarding it, the illusion is broken. You can't dip a warthog in the water then pull it out with some water still in the seats and the bed. Likewise you cannot build a Rapture-esque underwater tunnel out of forge pieces due to the properties of water not being fully simulated. While Havok Physics is a start, if we want to get better visuals we need better physics. We also need art design that takes advantage of the new tech better than we have now.

That's my two cents.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I'm sure graphics will get better. We still have a long way to go before we can emulate what we actually see in the real world on a computer screen with any real level of believability (With respect to the human form anyway). We still have to manage to cross, "Uncanny valley." You know, that whole, "It looks so perfect that it must be fake," thing...

We have achieved photo realism. That's great. The next step is to completely fool the brain into believing that it's real.