Can you please tell me why they Ban me in ResetEra for posting a Game about Dating Helicopters?

Sep 24, 2008
Ok, count another guy for not knowing that this Attack Helicopter thing was a thing. Wow, that seems asinine. There are no chemical balances known to humankind that replicates what it feels like to be a Helicopter, but we damn sure can measure normal hormone balances (or see hormone imbalances) to associate with perceived ideas about what it is to feel masculine (or like a man) and femininity (or what it is to feel like a woman). Hell, ask an endocrinologist about it sometime. That's why he or she can give you a cocktail that assign you to what your brain chemistry already is.

Wow, this helicopter thing is really stupid.

Signa said:
Also, just because you told it to the wrong audience, doesn't meant it wasn't a good joke. Enough generalities though. The attack helicopter joke does need some work, but it's more of a satiristic parody of the current cultural zeitgeist, so of course there's going to be a ton of people that take offense to it. That's the point, because satire and parody will highlight an idea's flaws. We did it making fun of God when the religious was in power, we can do it with anything that is in power.
Then the obvious question is... are you willing to have your own ideas given the satire treatment to highlight their intrinsic flaws?

If so, let's start with a simple idea. No need for satire at this moment because... hell, I don't fully grasp your ideas and I rather ask first than mock first.

Signa said:
Just because you don't get it doens't mean it wasn't funny. In fact, repetition can enhance the comedy.
You assume people don't get it. Isn't it possible that the inverse is true? Just because you get it doesn't mean it was funny. Humor is subjective. What it means to the individual, are the borders it crosses acceptable, etc. Given the near 8 billion people on this planet, it's impossible to have an universal funny idea. For example, Pratfalls. A family member of mine hates them. Because she has a bad back and every time she sees them she thinks about it.

I, personally, think it's lazy humor. I don't find it offensive. Neither does she. And we understand the innate idea. How humorous is it that this person is so inept at everything that they can't even stand correctly. Or how it's laughable that this person got some willingly intoxicated that they can't even control their body.

Not funny. I get the notion. Not funny.

So, we're highlighting the flaws in your ideas, albeit first without satire. Are you willing to look at your ideas differently, or is it necessary to bring in a mocking tone to make it more palatable?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Regardless of its mean-spirited inspiration, I still have morbid curiosity about its content and execution. Does it have any redeeming quality buried within?

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
ObsidianJones said:
Ok, count another guy for not knowing that this Attack Helicopter thing was a thing. Wow, that seems asinine. There are no chemical balances known to humankind that replicates what it feels like to be a Helicopter, but we damn sure can measure normal hormone balances (or see hormone imbalances) to associate with perceived ideas about what it is to feel masculine (or like a man) and femininity (or what it is to feel like a woman). Hell, ask an endocrinologist about it sometime. That's why he or she can give you a cocktail that assign you to what your brain chemistry already is.
Pretty sure it is more aimed at nonbinary gender idendities that are neither male nor female and at the otherkin stuff even if that is not a gender idendity.

Sep 24, 2008
Satinavian said:
ObsidianJones said:
Pretty sure it is more aimed at nonbinary gender idendities that are neither male nor female and at the otherkin stuff even if that is not a gender idendity.
Ok, I'm going to have to do some research. I believe Pseudonym said it was Transgender as well.

Pseudonym said:
There is a common joke around certain right wing parts of the internet where people say they sexually identify as an attack helicopter to denigrate transgender and non-binairy people who identify as something they want to deny they are. This was interpreted as furthering that joke and therefore implicitly as furthering the transfobic idea that that trans men and women aren't really men and women. That interpretation of your post makes sense since it was highly likely the reason the game was made too.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
hanselthecaretaker said:
What I?m wondering is how the hell helicopters of all things got dragged into this in the first place? Is it because their appearance and near-unlimited mobility lend themselves to being seen as an ultimate trolling apparatus or something?
Same here. A basic list of tumblr genders has plenty of fodder if your goal was to imply that tumblr genders are absurd.

You know, like cassflux where the degree to which you perceive gender to be unimportant to you is fluid. Or being egogendered or aquagenderd or lichtgendered or similar.

It's actually hard to satirize tumblr when tumblr already does it so well.

Ironically, I'm pretty sure the "identify as an attack helicopter" meme is the only reason there aren't people actually claiming to be heligendered or somesuch.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
ObsidianJones said:
Ok, I'm going to have to do some research. I believe Pseudonym said it was Transgender as well.
It is. But only because transphobic people are rarely inclined to pay attention to those differences. I wrote "more", not "only".

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
SweetShark said:
Can I just be neither left, right, middle and be outside of this "field".
I can't say there is an "outside" other than your personal space (if you even have the choice, which it sounds like you have).

SweetShark said:
I don't overthinking it. I just love different kind of games. Offensive or not. Good ones of course for my personal taste I must add.
In certain sense, you're lucky you can call spotting these references as "overthinking it". If you aren't the butt of the joke, I can't blame you for not knowing its euphemistic memes (I certainly didn't know this one).

I also love different kinds of games and not thinking much about it while I play (unless I spot something meaningful, I leave the thinking for after I'm done playing them). I love to play good ones and to try interesting ones.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
ObsidianJones said:
Non-binary people are transgender.

There are binary trans people and non-binary trans people. Being trans describes the state of having a gender identity which conflicts with your assigned sex at birth, which applies to non-binary people too.

Otherkin may or may not be transgender, but often appropriate a discourse which resembles trans rights discourse to advocate for acceptance, hence transphobes generally conflate otherkin with trans people and assume it's "the same thing", which it isn't.

The thing with "tumblr genders" as Schadrach tried to put it is that while they may indicate a trivial or childish understanding of gender identity, they are ultimately harmless and often the product of literal children and teenagers who are trying to make sense of their changing identities. Some of them will actually be trans, and will be struggling to come to terms with it. Others will be reacting to other problems in their lives. Very, very few will be "faking it".

The right's bizarre obsession with these "silly" genders is entirely down to the fact that they can be used as a broader attack on trans people in general.

Take, for example, the idea that the left/SJWs are seeking to "redefine gender" or that the "transgender movement has gone too far" (both common sentiments on the right, and likely to invoke bleating about attack helicopters). Now, by imagining that tumblr (the entire site of tumblr) is somehow synonymous with left wing thought, we can easily pretend that the right's problems with "redefining gender" is just with kids on tumblr. But the material circumstances in which this argument is brought out have nothing to do with tumblr, it's brought out in opposition to progressive changes in the law or medical practice regarding how trans people are treated, it's brought up in opposition to the basic facts of psychological research into gender established over the last half century. It is brought out in the sincere belief that all these things are part of the same thing, the same left wing conspiracy, the same group of bad SJWs who are ruining society somehow.

The idea that the transphobic humour right wingers seem to love for some reason applies only to the misuse of trans rights discourse is an interesting bit of deniability, but it's incredibly transparent (heck, the colours of the promotional art in the OP are the colours of the trans flag). If the right's transphobia was merely about "tumblr genders" it wouldn't be important and it wouldn't still be coming out, because noone actually cares about a few kids on tumblr.

It's about trans people. All trans people. It is an attack the arguments by which trans people can push for rights and acceptance, or to deny basic facts about gender identity which have been known for decades. That attack is indiscriminate.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Signa said:
Carlin is probably my favorite comedian of all time, and I'm sure you'd put me on the "right wing," correct?
Odd choice considering he was an outspoken atheist and how he slagged on Republicans and Christians.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
bluegate said:
Marik2 said:
Drathnoxis said:
Someone in the WW got a warning for posting a picture of non-anthropomorphized jet engines having sex. Moderators internet wide just seem to have issues with aircraft intimacy.
It's cuz it was protesting epyc wynns ban.
Games and media are getting weird, dating pigeons and doves, girls with jet engines as legs, dating literal attack helicopters.
And a game about a self aware anime girl who wants to date the guy behind the computer.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Smithnikov said:
Signa said:
Carlin is probably my favorite comedian of all time, and I'm sure you'd put me on the "right wing," correct?
Odd choice considering he was an outspoken atheist and how he slagged on Republicans and Christians.
I'm also a huge huge fan of Carlin. Surprised?

Sep 24, 2008
evilthecat said:
This, I always understood. I might have misunderstood Satinavian at the time because I thought what was expressed that it wasn't Transgender (the Attack Helicopter stupid joke), but the joke was fixated solely on Otherkin.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Smithnikov said:
Yes, yes he did. He was also the man was the one who said "political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners". This is a historically revisionist left/right game-free zone now. Carlin, Hicks, Maher, and those other big names of '80s and '90s political humor, were quite discriminatory in their targets: ideologues and demagogues.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
ObsidianJones said:
This, I always understood.
I thought you did. I didn't mean to sound like I was going off on you or anything, I just have a lot to say on this topic.

ObsidianJones said:
I might have misunderstood Satinavian at the time because I thought what was expressed that it wasn't Transgender (the Attack Helicopter stupid joke), but the joke was fixated solely on Otherkin.
And again, I don't think that's true.

I think it's a useful bit of deniability for those who don't necessarily see themselves as transphobic but don't have a problem aligning themselves with transphobes. But ultimately, that joke is not about mocking people misusing trans rights discourse, it's about attacking the basic concept of gender identity itself. It comes up when discussing academic psychological knowledge or research about gender identity. It comes up when talking about how the law should treat trans people, or how doctors should treat trans patients.

As mentioned, even here the choice of colours in the promotional art for the game are a coded reference to trans people. The people who come out with the joke know exactly what they're doing, even if some of their political allies don't.

Remember, this is not a joke to make people laugh. It's a joke to make people feel that they're being laughed at. As long as the targets understand the meaning, the joke has succeeded in its objective.

Sep 24, 2008
Eacaraxe said:
He was also the man was the one who said "political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners". This is a historically revisionist left/right game-free zone now. Carlin, Hicks, Maher, and those other big names of '80s and '90s political humor, were quite discriminatory in their targets: ideologues and demagogues.
The problem is, we have another saying toting "Freedom of Speech". Which is usually defined as freedom of the chosen (themselves and people like them, of course) only, given that they are the only ones who are truly enlightened. Which allows them to insult all they deems fit with impunity, denigrates anyone they consider inferior to their cause/ideology/creed, and fights its hardest to gain more power to shut others up while opening up their own avenues of speech.

In short, those who claim "Freedom of Speech" as their rallying cry and those who yell for Political Correctness are the different sides of the same coin. And both sides outright refuse to see that. Leading it to getting worse and worse as time goes by.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
evilthecat said:
This, I always understood. I might have misunderstood Satinavian at the time because I thought what was expressed that it wasn't Transgender (the Attack Helicopter stupid joke), but the joke was fixated solely on Otherkin.
As I remember it, it didn't have anything specifically to do with either transgenders or otherkin in the beginning.
The foundation might have started from laughing at otherkins, but the attack helicopter only gained traction with the 798+ genders first sprung from tumblr and then incorporated by some sites and academies.
After that it spread out to represent any gender other than biological male/female.

ObsidianJones said:
Eacaraxe said:
He was also the man was the one who said "political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners". This is a historically revisionist left/right game-free zone now. Carlin, Hicks, Maher, and those other big names of '80s and '90s political humor, were quite discriminatory in their targets: ideologues and demagogues.
The problem is, we have another saying toting "Freedom of Speech". Which is usually defined as freedom of the chosen (themselves and people like them, of course) only, given that they are the only ones who are truly enlightened. Which allows them to insult all they deems fit with impunity, denigrates anyone they consider inferior to their cause/ideology/creed, and fights its hardest to gain more power to shut others up while opening up their own avenues of speech.

In short, those who claim "Freedom of Speech" as their rallying cry and those who yell for Political Correctness are the different sides of the same coin. And both sides outright refuse to see that. Leading it to getting worse and worse as time goes by.
Could you delve a little deeper, or explain it simpler perhaps. because I don't see how it is different sides of the same coin at all.
Free Speech proponents wants everyone to have the right and freedom to say (almost) anything. Even things they disapprove of.
Political Correctness adherents wants to force people to say only such things as they agree with.

PC people can live under Free Speech, but Free Speech is not applicable under PC rule.

What am I missing?

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
ObsidianJones said:
Satinavian said:
ObsidianJones said:

Pseudonym said:
There is a common joke around certain right wing parts of the internet where people say they sexually identify as an attack helicopter to denigrate transgender and non-binairy people who identify as something they want to deny they are. This was interpreted as furthering that joke and therefore implicitly as furthering the transfobic idea that that trans men and women aren't really men and women. That interpretation of your post makes sense since it was highly likely the reason the game was made too.
One thing to consider here is that this is a meme shared by many people who might not all share the same intentions with it. What you say has meaning though, and implications beyond just what you might intent. There is a clear underlying message to this meme. The usual form in which I've seen the meme is 'I sexually identify as an attack helicopter'. The point that seems to be driving at is 'fuck what gender you identify as'. Whether or not the meme is intended to target some specific group of people, the message here is going to be harmful to anyone who has a gender identity that other people misunderstand or dislike. Now there is a difference between intentionally spreading this meme to harm transgender people or only to mock 'tumblr' or because this dating sim game looks hilarious and that is the difference between deliberately doing harm, doing harm through being irresponsible and doing harm accidentally. Once all this has been pointed out and you still continue you move towards the first group of those who know what thet do and do it anyway.

Sep 24, 2008
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Could you delve a little deeper, or explain it simpler perhaps. because I don't see how it is different sides of the same coin at all.
Free Speech proponents wants everyone to have the right and freedom to say (almost) anything. Even things they disapprove of.
Political Correctness adherents wants to force people to say only such things as they agree with.

PC people can live under Free Speech, but Free Speech is not applicable under PC rule.

What am I missing?
PC people can live under Free Speech as long as the Free Speech people agree with what the PC people are saying.

NFL kneeling? Free Speech. And a lot of Free Speech fighters hated it.

The spate of Police officers getting away with what tantamounts to murder but the government allows it? In comes Black Lives Matter. Which (oddly enough) has nothing more than saying "Black people shouldn't be so disposable that any discretion can have a gun pointed in their face and a cop's whim if they live that day". A lot of Free Speech people called them a terrorist group.

The #MeToo movement? Transgendered Politics (Topical)? Diversity in Video Games. Gun Control debates. Politics... The list goes on.

A lot of "Free Speakers" as I'll dub them as (staunch right wing people who use the idea of free speech to allow what they say and shout down everyone else) tend to want to control what's acceptable to say. You might not see it that way. But there's no difference from someone shouting at you for not using a pronoun that a person associates themselves with even though they are born in a certain body, than there is if a free speaker yells at you, calling you a Snowflake SWJ if you bring up that you feel there's nothing wrong with exploring diversity in gaming as long as it's pivotal to the story.

Both sides try to control the conversation in order to say who gets to speak and what's ok. And if you don't get that's what Free Speakers are trying to do whenever they blow up and shout down anything they consider to be SWJ pandering... Can't help you.

Because that's EXACTLY what those 'SWJs' think is happening to them when Free Speakers come out and 'passionately defend the opposite side'.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
ObsidianJones said:

Look, if your natural response to my making a point those comedians weren't partisan, but instead targeted partisans, ideologues, and demagogues, by saying (and I'm paraphrasing) "both sides are bad, but free speech is an alt-right dog whistle", it really makes me question your motives. Honestly, it makes me wonder if perhaps you're among those Carlin may have mocked were he alive today.