Canada

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
OP, you could be forgiven for thinking Ontario is just one big town. It certainly feels like it the majority of the time (mostly in good ways).

I've lived in many places in Ontario... since I was old enough to have a fully-formed memory, that is. The only other place I frequent is Michigan, so my realm of experience is admittedly very small. It's a thousand times better than Michigan, for what that's worth.

Some are saying don't live in Toronto. I say, live in Toronto, but don't buy or use a car. They're as good as paperweights when rush hour comes around. There are some fairly-priced subway and bus options that are superior. I live in London, which is in a nice "centre of it all" kind of area. It's still a sizable city, but it's nowhere near the size of Toronto. I know that a large number of video game companies are just settling in or setting up splinter branches in and around the area, so I'm excited about that.

maswell

Aug 6, 2010
CrashBang said:
Ooh, I was thinking about making this exact thread!

I'm training to be a teacher and hoping that I'll get a job over there once I'm qualified.
You will have a very hard time finding a job in Ontario as a teacher. There is a massive surplus of teachers there. Teaching jobs are hard to come by in most other parts of the country as well.

I live on the East coast and am having trouble finding a job teaching high school science.

ReZerO

Mar 2, 2009
look for a job in one of the resorts in the mountains before you come out. my sister woks for one in HR and they often like to hire workers from other commonwealth countries.. plus it'll give you a bit of a taste of Canada (all be it in a resort town) before you commit to staing here for a longer amount of time.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
Genericjim101 said:
Well as long as neither of those fuckers are near Edmonton I'll go stalk Bioware.
Nickelback's from a small town in Alberta, aka the province Edmonton is a capital of.

That said, go west. But prepare to get screwed over on internet and cell phone bills. Anywhere in Canada will get you that, but Saskatchewan is by and large the worst offender within the provinces.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Jebusetti said:
Here is a slightly racist breakdown for you, based on your interests:

*snip*
Racist? Naw.

Ignorant? Well.....

Best way to do it is backpack across the country, take a couple months and see what you like best.
Probably the best advice I've read thus far in this thread.

DaysBefore

Dec 7, 2010
Nova Scotia is pretty awesome if I must say so myself. If you have a problem with the cold though, you better move to Vancouver.

Jan 27, 2011
usmarine4160 said:
Just stay away from Quebec, they're like french stereotypes that are twice as snobbish
HEYHEYHEY! Not all of of Quebecers are like that!

Most people in Montreal are really nice, and those elitist types are VERY few and far between. The only ones I've seen/heard of are the ones that worked where my mom used to work. And most of those people were your average asshat anyway.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Canadian here, lived here for 10 years. Toronto is expensive, but just north of it, place called Richmond Hill. Nice, comfortable area to live in, and much cheaper. Very nice place.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Whitby has alot of housing and is a really nice little city plus its just a hour outside the gta

Max G-v

Aug 15, 2011
usmarine4160 said:
Just stay away from Quebec, they're like french stereotypes that are twice as snobbish
I fell like i should be offended, but i can't wholeheartedly disagree with you :p

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
I live in Ottawa, and I have to say, I think it's a really really nice city. I like it a lot. It's safe, has lots to see and do, and it's pretty much recession proof since the majority of the jobs are in government. That said, that would probably be a huge obstacle for a foreigner to find a good job here, since it is so government based. Also, most jobs require you to be french-english bilingual.

It is a really nice city though I think.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
It won't be a nice place to live for long, our current PM is batshit bonkers and wants to turn Canada into USA #2.

But if you insist, Vancouver is probably the best place.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
If you like the cold, and I mean the type of cold that can get down to -50 C, then come to Winnipeg. :D

Though this is a tad odd. You're looking to move to Canada from the UK while I'm looking to move to the UK from Canada. Well, I'm just looking to get away from North America in general, it's a nice place but its particular brand of craziness is something I could use a break from.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta (Where I live, and I am planning in dropping in at the Bioware building sometime this year to see if I can get some info about job availabilty after I graduate): Has the headquarters of Bioware in the city, and is well known for our Beef and Oilsands industries.

British Columbia: Not a bad place to live, I've heard some good stuff about it from friends who've traveled across province.

Saskatchewan: Land is so flat that you can watch your dog run away for at least 3 days.

Newfoundland: Real nice coastal kinda place, has a decent fishing industry.

North West Territories: Snow...cold...MASSIVE...AWESOME for anyone who likes to do alot of Winter activities during the snowy seasons. Also you get benifits like free schooling if you live in the NWT towns.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
All I can say is Canada is massive and very different depending on where you live, Quebec is French though the Island of Montreal is about 50% english 50% french though french would still be key if you wanted to live their, Ontario in the south is alot like the eastern united states which is why the rest of canada has some negative feelings about it

-Also to whoever sugested northern Alberta yes the jobs pay well and the work is hard but also remember that the male to female is way off because of that fact the labour is difficult and most people dont perminatly settle their.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Come to Waterloo, cheap, university town (though the University of Waterloo is so nerdy you really cannot consider it, I go there, it is awesome).
Also Kitchener is nearby, there is a good down town, and you can get to Toronto by bus in 1.5 hours.