Canadian Coins Go Cryptozoological

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Canadian Coins Go Cryptozoological

The Royal Canadian Mint is rolling out a series of colorful 25-cent coins featuring three of the country's most famous mythical creatures.

Up here in the Great White North, we like our currency to have a little zing. We've got loonies, we've got twoonies - the two-dollar bill was actually a real thing here until it was replaced by a coin - and when it comes to paper money, it's colors, not numbers, that are important. And now we've got what is possibly the most awesome coinage of all: a set of three quarters emblazoned with three of the country's cryptids in full, glorious color.

A cryptid, for those not in the know, is a creature of legend, an animal which has never been proven to actually exist, like the Loch Ness Monster, the Jackalope or the Sasquatch [http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/25cent-coloured-coin-sasquatch-2011-prod1100018] - which features on one of the three coins. Sasquatch is easily the most famous of the three and the only one that most people, Canadians included, will immediately recognize.

The second coin features Mishepishu [http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/25cent-coloured-coin-memphre-2011-prod1110006], "the Great Lynx," a shapeshifter who roams the Great Lakes. All three coins featured the likeness of Elizabeth II, D. G. Regina, long may she reign, on the flipside.

The coins are legal tender but probably won't be tossed onto too many shop counters, as their 25 cent value pales next to their 25 dollar cost. Obviously you're not going to pick up a roll or two to blow at the laundromat, but as a collector's item, a cool birthday gift for the kids or just for something to wave in the faces of friends whose money is all green and boring, I think these things are about as cool as a coin is going to get.

Source: Geekosystem [http://www.geekosystem.com/canadian-cryptid-coins/]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Dammit Canada! Why do you get to have all the fun?

*goes back to trying to exchange bottlecaps at my local bank*

Javarino

Mar 15, 2010
... I haven't heard of those last two, well EVER. Why couldn't they do the Ogopogo from Lake Okanagan in BC?

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Only 3? They're losing their touch. Shouldn't there be like one for every province and territory like there usualy is?

Seriously, there's so many "commemative quarters" out there I think just about any piece of metal the right size could be taken for legal tender because who's to say there isn't a coin with a hydra, a cartoon mouse, or Master Chief on it.

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
Javarino said:
... I haven't heard of those last two, well EVER. Why couldn't they do the Ogopogo from Lake Okanagan in BC?
Because that would require Eastern Canada acknowledging that the West actually exists.

Feb 13, 2008
Sasquatch...sure, who hasn't heard of the Wendigo?

But the other two...that's crazier than the Beast of Bodmin Moor or the Sceadugenga.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
i want nessie on my money.

if i did, i'd get two and use one to put it in circulation.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
SAT4NSLILHELPER said:
Javarino said:
Because that would require Eastern Canada acknowledging that the West actually exists.
Dammit, you beat me to it. But, while I'm here:

Because then East Canada would have to pull its collective head out of its ass.
Because Western Canada doesn't actually exist.

On the plus side, the coins do look nice. Hopefully they'll be more durable than those ones with the red poppy from a couple years back- the colour wore off of them fairly quickly.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"the Great Lynx", a shapeshifter who roams the Great Lakes.
Never heard of it. (btw you misplaced the , there)
But it sure seems like a good way to get crazy chicks. "Hey baby, ever slept with a shapeshifting lake lynx? C'mon, I've even got my own quarter!
How can I prove I am an shapeshifter? Well, do I look like a lake lynx to you? That's because I shapeshifted into a human form. Bam!"

Omegalus

Nov 8, 2010
GOD DAMMIT!!!
I really want these now...why couldn't Scotland put some of our cryptids in money form

esplode

Dec 17, 2008
It's a good thing I read the whole article. At first, I thought Queen Elizabeth was the mythical creature on the coins.

/stupid joke =D

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_two-dollar_bill

It is still real and still in circulation.

Also $75CAD for 75 cents is not worth it.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
SAT4NSLILHELPER said:
Javarino said:
Doesn't the Sasquatch foot represent Western Canada? Well from the extended description at least it puts the Sasquatch in BC, Yukon, and Northern Ontario.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
I wouldn
Andy Chalk said:
Obviously you're not going to pick up a roll or two to blow at the laundromat, but as a collector's item, a cool birthday gift for the kids or just for something to wave in the faces of friends whose money is all green and boring, I think these things are about as cool as a coin is going to get.
Nothing cool about silver, I'd go for commemorative gold coins instead. Unless you really like the... design.