Canadian ISP Admits to Throwing Brakes on World of Warcraft

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Rogers insists that the problem arises when use P2P software at the same time as the game, despite Murphy's claims that she didn't use P2P software at all.
She might be wrong there. The Wow update system and background downloader uses P2P system to share files, unless she has set it so that it use direct download.

But oh well. ISPS fuck'd up anyway. I'll side with the her on this. She bought a service that didn't fill the use it was meant for.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Never mind that many forms of P2P file sharing are completely legal and do not infringe on any copyright bullshit.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
Rogers insists that the problem arises when players use P2P software at the same time as the game, despite Murphy's claims that she didn't use P2P software at all.
P2P software like the blizzard updater maybe?

once again anti piracy measures hurt the paying consumers whilst actual pirates just encrypt the data and are not affected by the targeted throttle.
oh well.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Torrasque said:
zehydra said:
Yeah, man Canada's got internet issues.

It's probably one of the only things about the place that I dislike enough to not move there.
Steve Fidler said:
Uh, my post disappeared.

But essentially the last line of this article is wrong. Canada has several providers that offer unlimited Broadband connections. They are just not the big telecom companies like Bell and Rogers.

Teksavvy and Acanac are two that service Ontario, for example.
I've had Rogers for years and it works fine for my WoW. I get disconnected from xblive sometimes, but that is a technical issue, and not my internet to blame.

There are dozens of ISP you can use, but Bell, Telus and Rogers control most of the internets that the smaller companies use as well (and give to you for cheaper, lulz)

But if you're not going to move to Canada because of a small problem like MMOs (apparently) not being able to play just right, then you are an idiot.
"Canada is one of the few Western countries that doesn't offer broadband plans with unlimited data."

I was actually thinking more about this.

And the fact that they were clamping down on p2p file sharing in general. P2P is not inherently bad.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Too bad WoW uses p2p to download data. I feel sorry for you Canadians...

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
LostNumber said:
Hmm, had no idea this was happening. I'm on Shaw, but I know plenty of people that play WoW (some of which I'm sure use Rogers) and have never heard any complaints from them. Good of them to own up to it and fix the problem, though.
except of course that they didn't own up to it.. someone had to complain to a regulatory board just to get them to acknowledge the issue, and then they still blame it on "oh the user must be using p2p at the same time"

and they haven't fixed the problem, they're hoping some other fix they're doing in 2 months will take care of it.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
fenrizz said:
Sightless Wisdom said:
Yeah, thsi is among other internet issues we've been dealing with here lately. The CRTC is thankfully helping us out, but it's proving fairly difficult to stop the big ISP's from being the money grabbing bastards that they are.

(I'm paying about $50/month for ~1.5-2MB/s down and 60GB/month)
Is this common over on your side of the pond?

Seems very expensive for such a poor service.

I pay about $50(US) (although the US dollar is very weak at the moment) for 3MB/s down and no limit.

After all, what is the point of broadband if there is an arbitrary limit on it?
Yeah, unfortunately it is the average rate over here. It is fucking ridiculous but there's not much I can do about it. Though I have been helping out a little bit by supporting CRTC petitions and initiatives to change the current system. Some progress is being made.

kyari05

Nov 19, 2009
icyneesan said:
Canada has a history of freaking out over new technologies that allow people to communicate. Remember the radio? *facepalm* The way our country freaks out over tech makes me ashamed.
Wait, didn't Marconi's tests take place in Newfoundland?

Anyway, I'm a Canadian just muscling in here for my two bits. We're with Bell for our internet - on PEI of all places - and I have to say, we don't encounter any problems at all. In fact, I was just musing the other day that we get Netflix streaming in HD just fine, things come off torrent or usenet at fantastic speeds, and YouTube streams in 1080p without having to buffer - something I assume people elsewhere have a problem with, given the fact that things like this exist: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lnkdbjbjpnpjeciipoaflmpcddinpjjp. I've got no download limitations, and there's certainly no throttling of P2P or even time-sensitive software - I use Skype without any trouble, and with decent latency and no connection issues. I see websites all the time that say something will take, say, 10 minutes to download, and I download it in one. I play plenty of games online, and I've got average - or above-average - ping times.

I'm worried that people are getting the wrong idea about Canada's internet. Certainly there was a worry about mandatory caps a bit ago, but we squelched that pretty hard. Yep, there are companies that offer caps, but there are similar companies everywhere. But then we have people like the contributor here saying "Canada is one of the few Western countries that doesn't offer broadband plans with unlimited data", and suddenly the forums are filling up with people saying 'yeah, internet in Canada sucks'. The article needs to source things like that, or (in this case, since it's not true) get rid of it.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Canada officially took a blemish with this one. Thought it was a great nation but Internet is really important to me.

Shame really.
The problem is that two companies, and their affliates, own something along the lines of 95% of the market place, they don't need to be competetive, since they also "own" the fiber, so they have no need to compete

Geeky Anomaly

Feb 19, 2011
The filters can't tell the difference because players who are downloading core game files and patches through the Blizzard downloader are receiving them via P2P methods; if the option is enabled of corse. Anytime you play WoW, people everywhere are able to retrieve game files from your computer, Blizzard servers, and any other player in the region. This is part of playing the game, and is addressed in the EULA. This ISP needs to check themselves before they wreck themselves.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
DTWolfwood said:
Canada is one of the few Western countries that doesn't offer broadband plans with unlimited data.
still unbelievable no matter how many times i hear it.

/hugs his 50mb/s wideband connection with no limits ♥

in layman thats 6.25MB/s down
That's about what I'm getting now from Bell... which isn't bad, actually, for a plan grandfathered in from a decade ago. However, I've just been informed (via my last bill) that they've jacked up the price to just under (CAD) $70/mo for the privilege.

Now I've got a decision to make; pay the higher price, switch to one of their faster and cheaper plans with a cap, or flounder about for another provider of comparable service for the old price.

*sigh*

-- Steve

PS: at least use whole letters in the Captcha, dammit.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Rainboq said:
Straying Bullet said:
Canada officially took a blemish with this one. Thought it was a great nation but Internet is really important to me.

Shame really.
The problem is that two companies, and their affliates, own something along the lines of 95% of the market place, they don't need to be competetive, since they also "own" the fiber, so they have no need to compete
Which is why they can effectively screw us over again and again and again...

[sub]*facepalm*[/sub]

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
One of the issues here is that WoW uses P2P to help with the patching systems, so it is actually a P2P transfer system itself, this is why ISPs have trouble differentiating between the two.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Oh come on people! You think that we Canadians having shitty ISPs makes a blemish on our country?
Bullshit, if anything is a blemish right now, its that we are fucking getting ANOTHER goddamn election for no fucking reason other than the fact that our government is pathetically ineffective.

microwaviblerabbit

Apr 20, 2009
Sounds like business as usual then for Rogers. Honestly though pretty much any data plan in Canada sucks, be it for home internet, cell phones or cable TV. Having essentially no competition due to the entire industry being dominated by two companies, who don't so much as compete as collude, means that everything is ridiculously expensive. Add the fact the regulatory board is terrible (See the current protests and backlash against the CTRC) and it becomes a no-win scenario.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Odd I never had a problem with my Rogers mobile internet, at home I wouldn't know though since I use Bell.

Soviet Heavy said:
Oh come on people! You think that we Canadians having shitty ISPs makes a blemish on our country?
Bullshit, if anything is a blemish right now, its that we are fucking getting ANOTHER goddamn election for no fucking reason other than the fact that our government is pathetically ineffective.
Don't remind me lol. Damn Jack and Iggy!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My basic attitude is that they shouldn't be trying to regulate P2P file transfers anyway. While it's used for illegal things by some people, it's a perfectly legitimate technology for distributing a lot of differant things.

I'm hardly, pro-pirate, and heck you might even argue that most of the usage involved here is in some way connected to piracy. However with all of the abandonware and things that are public domain out there, it's difficult to argue against what is simply an efficient means of anonymously storing and distributing data.

I think a lot of the pressure on things like P2P file sharing is because of how it affects the broadening gray area of IP rights. While I'm not into Anime as much as I used to be, and things might have changed, I look at the whole fansubbing community. Simply put you have people that take shows off Japanese TV, add their own subtitles and english translation as a hobby, and then distribute it to countries where these things would not normally be seen. There has been a lot of back and forth about this as far as IP rights go, when your dealing with material that isn't for sale in the market it's going to to begin with, and nobody is making money off of it. Torrents have been a major avenue of distribution and made fansubbing a much bigger deal than it was years ago when you had to deal with people through the mail. This kind of thing, not just with anime, but people passing around recorded TV shows (which anyone could have seen for free) at a time when companies want to sell expensive DVD/Blu Ray sets, creates a gray area of legitimate high-traffic activity, that none the less meets with a lot of contreversy and which people would want to shut down. This is to say nothing of entirely legitimate uses.

I haven't followed that kind of thing much recently, so I could be wrong about where a lot of it stands. However I believe there are still plenty of sites operating more or less in the public eye providing a lot of that material for free without that kind of pressure, leading me to believe there hasn't been any kind of legislation making it actually illegal.

In the end the problem with P2P file sharing is more one about anonymity and the fact that it really can't be regulated. That however does not make it inherantly criminal, and I think it's wrong for anyone to be cracking down on it. At the core I think is a situation where goverments inherantly fear anything they can't control. I also tend to think that businesses like ISPs who "sell out" and get involved in this kind of thing willingly are not only the lowest of the low, but also shooting themselves in the foot.