Canadians React With Anger to New Internet Usage Caps

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Vivace-Vivian said:
Instead of bitching about it on here people in Canada should be going to their MPs about it. Getting angry on forums won't solve a thing... A quick email will help flood their inboxes. At least, that's what I did.
Same here. Spreading the word and encouraging action. If this happens for real, I will be protesting in the street.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Redlin5 said:
Vivace-Vivian said:
Instead of bitching about it on here people in Canada should be going to their MPs about it. Getting angry on forums won't solve a thing... A quick email will help flood their inboxes. At least, that's what I did.
Same here. Spreading the word and encouraging action. If this happens for real, I will be protesting in the street.
That's what a lot of us did, and that's why we have such a stir over it to begin with. Nice try though.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
PlasmaSnake13 said:
I live in Canada, and this is such a disappointment. I have to MONITOR my activity? I mean, for other people it's second nature, but once you have something for so long, it just seems like a public middle finger. Looks like the multi-million dollar companies can't get enough.

Pure unnecessary greed.
Is it just me or do these huge corporations seem to be making stupid decisions left and right? I can't name examples, but it's become pretty common to hear about a corporation's douchebag CEO making decisions to make more money regardless of who it hurts.

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
i used to retail cell phones and services here in canada, and let me tell you,the market is bullshit, there are four main cellular providers, Two big ones, and two medium sized ones, the medium sized cell companies happen to be partnered to the bigger ones, so what you end up getting is either Bell light, or Rodgers light, and a market that gets so butthurt over new competition that they run crying to the government to put a stop to the big bad companies trying to unjustly steal their hard bilked ill gotten gains, ad to that that the content providers are also the content creators, which is insanely unfair to us consumers.

We need market restructuring and massive regulatory overhauls now, before our content is corporate controlled, forget government censorship, corporate censorship is worse

olicon

May 8, 2008
Damn...sucks for you guys.
I think I can relate though. I'm originally from Thailand. Unlimited 6mbps line + fixed line phone phone costs something like 60USD.
When I move to Australia, I'm slapped with a 2mbps connection with something like 140GB cap (60GB during normal hours, the rest during midnight to 6AM) for just about the same price. It was a big WTF moment for me.

I guess the best thing you can do is writing to your senators. Hey--at least yours might actually care after being bombarded with a truckload. Ours just shrug their shoulders then proceed to steal more of our tax.

Entreri481

Jan 14, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
mad825 said:
If there would ever be one thing preventing me from wanting to live in Canada, It would be this.
Seriously up until this Canada has been fucking perfect. Decent gun laws, drug laws and they allow gay marriage. Hell we have great health care to. But this.... SHIT. We just get Netflix then this happens.
If by perfect you mean extremely liberal, high taxes are just part of the whole bundle you mention. I love Canada so much, and I already got charged an extra 30 bucks for over usage.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Meh, we've got a good chance of taking this down. The Liberals and the NDP are on our side, and Tom Clements just came out ranting about the insanity of this idea. He was surprisingly well-informed, and definitely wants to review it in a matter of days, not months. The petition is helping a lot as well. I just wrote a letter to my MP, this area has a large student population and I hinted to him that coming out against this bill would probably help his polls in the next election.

Long story short, there's a lot of people rallying against this, there's definitely a chance that this could be too politically damaging for it to be passed. We shall see.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
RUINER ACTUAL said:
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
mad825 said:
If there would ever be one thing preventing me from wanting to live in Canada, It would be this.
Seriously up until this Canada has been fucking perfect. Decent gun laws, drug laws and they allow gay marriage. Hell we have great health care to. But this.... SHIT. We just get Netflix then this happens.
How is it going to effect something like Netflix or even Xbox Live? How is that even measured in amounts of memory?
All data transferred over the internet is digital information encoded in various ways and made up of bits of data. Whether you are downloading a file onto your computer or just temporarily streaming that data there is still a specific and measurable amount of information going to and from your computer, the rate at which this occurs is your bandwidth.

And something like a HD movie for example takes up alot of data.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
... Download caps?

Never knew such a thing existed anywhere. It seems a decision supremely biased against the consumer and societal interests, surely eliminating flatrate solutions and imposing caps on media use isn't conductive to digital development, entrepreneurship, distribution.

With both consumer, ICP, and societal interests on the opposite side of this decision, I think it has a fair chance of being changed by Canadian legislatives.

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
Bloody hell! I had always thought that Canadian politics were quite sensible... but, I mean, what the fuck Canada?

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Oh noes it has come to my worst dreams. We are running out of internetz!! Fast, download as much as you can and store it in the basement, in a few month you'll have to wait in lines for your daily 5mb, exchanged against datastamps.
A good thing that governments react and start rationing it.

I may have not the fastest line here. But at least i can use it as much as i want. And actually, if i still can download 100mb in about 20seconds i am fine.

I can imagine whos idea that was

"Hey guys ....what if.....what if a pirated game still costs you about 16 dollars? *trollface*"

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Just how much is 60 GB? I have no idea, could someone shed some light on this so I could grasp the situation a bit better? Would this kill online multiplayer?

Anyways, if I weren't laughing at Canada's idiocy I would probably bee as angry as everyone else. Does Canada think they are running out of internet? Maybe we should start building internet refugee camps near Canadian border.

Edit: I am going to be rather surprised if Anonymous, the oh-so-holy brotherhood, doesn't start doing their attacks at Canada...

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
Ok, so where are those hackers on steroids that defend the internet and it's freedom and just mess around with everyone?
What? I can't here you! You're saying they're no coming to the rescue because they don't care and are just duces and actually have no useful skills for this type of thing?

So that was my first idea on the subject second:
It amuses me that several years back we had download caps here, too. Now we have unlimited fiber-optic internet. OH and we're one of the poorest countries in Europe and our government continuously raises taxes here, and yet they we're not that evil and stupid to mess with our internet.

I hope a new firm with fiber-optic cable will come to Canada and kick Bell's ass(financially speaking).