Canadians React With Anger to New Internet Usage Caps

oblivionenigma

Jun 2, 2009
I guess I'm confused because I'm an American without any concept of capping, period, since the "good old days" of dialup. I have unlimited bandwidth, and didn't even realize that places in Canada had a 200gb cap, let alone considering dropping it further. Really? That makes me mad and it doesn't even affect me. Sorry my Canadian friends :(

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
Pilkingtube said:
HellsingerAngel said:
Wall of Text
With almost all UK ISPs, they use Unlimited* which isn't actual Unlimited internet.
They have a "Fair use" clause in the contract, but don't give an actual figure for fair use in their contract. We were hit by it once in October last year, we used 190GB in a month, pushing us over the "Fair use" of the Unlimited* internet.

They did not charge us, instead they throttled out internet down to 40Kb/s from 20Mb/s. Permenantly. We had to change our ISP provider in order to get speeds that allowed us to watch Youtube videos in 360p.. :(
Guess what those smaller companies that are now getting hit had!

Usage in Canada is just terrible overall. Fair Usage is a fine stipulation as long as "unlimited" is clearly defined. I have no issues with having a 100GB cap on something like a 12 Meg connection and scaling as you go up, but having only 75GB on a 25 Meg connection is laughable.

As for your case, they legally would have to change the speed back after the month, as all plans work on a month to month basis and throttling internet with no reason to is still illegal. Every ISP has a minimum they must give you to consider the package promised fufilled. You should have fought it. Though, as long as you're happy with your current ISP, that doesn't really matter. =)

EDITS

Delusibeta said:
You forgot the £11.25/month line rental.
And you think we don't pay that? =)

It's because phone is added in, which makes it even better because we'd have to pay for phone seperately so the cost is driven up even more.

googleboy

Lost in Space
Jul 27, 2009
Rocket Dog said:
googleboy said:
This is a terribly, terrible thing. As an American I can see this in our future. If there is anything we can do to help you, our friendly northern neighbors, please let us know!!!!

Just a note, if you can, you should send letters AND go see your MP's in person. I have found locally that seeing my representative can make a lot of difference.

Anywho, Solidarity brothers :)
Naw, it won't come to America.

Any company that would take a lose from this (Google, Microsoft, Netflix, for example) would lobby the ever-loving-shit out of this.
Sadly Rocket Dog, there are already attempts to bring it here. Road Runner (Time Warner) tried about a year ago and was shot down. It seems to crop up every year or so.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
number2301 said:
HellsingerAngel said:
And this is where most of the arguments I've seen on here are going wrong. The greater population of the UK and the US brings economies of scale into effect. British Telecom (who own almost all of the physical telephone networks in the UK) are tasked with building and maintaining telephone and internet infrastructure for a country a mere 98,300 square miles. So taking your population figures, an average of 634 customers per square mile. In Canada you're talking about 8 customers per square mile.

When you're talking about internet infrastructure, it's the laying of the cables which is expensive, but putting in more cables at the same time is a much smaller cost, making an exchange bigger is a much smaller cost.

I really think the key here is that your country is ridiculously vast, and pretty inhospitable for large sections. Combine this with a very low population density and the telcos are facing much larger costs to provide services.
No, they aren't. Our infrastructure is better than the United State's when it comes to telecom. Only in the more rural areas do you see the effects of older infrastructure, and even then, they still have it better than some American states.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
HellsingerAngel said:
Pilkingtube said:
HellsingerAngel said:
Wall of Text
With almost all UK ISPs, they use Unlimited* which isn't actual Unlimited internet.
They have a "Fair use" clause in the contract, but don't give an actual figure for fair use in their contract. We were hit by it once in October last year, we used 190GB in a month, pushing us over the "Fair use" of the Unlimited* internet.

They did not charge us, instead they throttled out internet down to 40Kb/s from 20Mb/s. Permenantly. We had to change our ISP provider in order to get speeds that allowed us to watch Youtube videos in 360p.. :(
Guess what those smaller companies that are now getting hit had!

Usage in Canada is just terrible overall. Fair Usage is a fine stipulation as long as "unlimited" is clearly defined. I have no issues with having a 100GB cap on something like a 12 Meg connection and scaling as you go up, but having only 75GB on a 25 Meg connection is laughable.

As for your case, they legally would have to change the speed back after the month, as all plans work on a month to month basis and throttling internet with no reason to is still illegal. Every ISP has a minimum they must give you to consider the package promised fufilled. You should have fought it. Though, as long as you're happy with your current ISP, that doesn't really matter. =)

EDITS

Delusibeta said:
You forgot the £11.25/month line rental.
And you think we don't pay that? =)

It's because phone is added in, which makes it even better because we'd have to pay for phone seperately so the cost is driven up even more.
Unfortunatley with the contract they didn't have to un-throttle us, they're actually allowed to cut our internet off and charge us for the cancellation if they want to. Very few companies publish their fair usage limit, it is a hidden figure, bit shady if you ask me.

The only company in the UK that I know of who doesn't actually have a fair-usage cap thus actual unlimited internet is Virgin. Now looking at the Virgin package compared to what Canadians have to put up with makes me feel guilty about ever complaining :p

Our contract in England is:

Guaranteed 0.5Mb minimum 20Mb maximum, 14Mb average* in Worcester postcode(s), (*Over 1 week)
£15.00/month for first 3 months,
£25.50/month after 3 months,
Free Virgin'G' wireless/LAN router (RRP £40),
Unlimited online personal storage,
Virgin security + antivirus package,
10 E-mail addresses,
100 Free photo prints/month,
Local-rate 24/7 tech support,

Virgin Unlimited Offers-
Any (1) free option:
-Unlimited XL Virgin phone
-£5 Mobile XL Broadband dongle
-Early V-Festival tickets.

I will never, ever complain about my internet again after looking at the Canadians, they should revolt or something :D

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
leviticusd said:
Wow...Canadians react with anger? That is a headline itself. I didn't know that was possible! :p
That kindness thing's just an act so you won't see the fist coming.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I hope Netflix and other digital software providers get in on this fight to kick the telecoms asses. Number 1 reason why I don't use netflix, is because It is a gig an hour for standard def shows. Im on a bigger plan so we get a piddly 60gb a month, so although I would rather have netflix over cable for the most part, you combine steam, xbox live, itunes, and whatever else you stream or download and you hit the cap pretty fast.

Thank god Im the only tech head in the house, can't imagine if we were running 2 netflix's while trying to download games. I already wrote in and I hope it makes a difference because this cap is utter bullshit for like 70 bucks a month.

Edit:: As a side note I believe in ontario at least there needs to be major reform in the lack of competitiveness in a lot of consumer businesses. There is like 3 major corps who own everything and they never need to compete. Which is why IMO our grocery stores don't have like triple value coupon days, or major sales to steal customers. Our liquors store is govt run so there is zero battle for consumer dollars so those dicks get to go overkill on tax and profit fixing. Great for big business when there is no fighting and everyone can just milk consumers. God forbid some telecom comes in with super fast connections with unlimited downloading for competitive prices, or stores that offer booze at realistic prices.

Hat Man

Nov 18, 2009
For once in my life I'm glad to have SaskTell providing my internet. Sure the internet cuts out every time someone picks up the phone in spite of it being "high speed" but hey, no cap... For now.

TheGreatCoolEnergy

Aug 30, 2009
leviticusd said:
Wow...Canadians react with anger? That is a headline itself. I didn't know that was possible! :p
You clearly skipped you history lesson on World War 1. We fucked shit up

gl1koz3 said:
I don't get it. Most ISPs seem to be doing really good. Just install better routers and provide new high price tariffs with higher caps. Otherwise this seems like one of those government BS moves.
Hey, your catching onto Canadian politics!

OP: Damnit, looks like I will have to sell the other Kidney now...

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Bell Canada is the biggest pack of criminals up here. Not shocking they would shoot for something like this. Hopefully it goes no where fast, as it is generally designed to put their competition out of business/usefulness.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Wow...this is just wrong. I feel bad for Canadians everywhere.
Also

Shit is getting real.

This sucks as one of my friends will no longer be online for anything if this isn't revoked.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
As an American, this happening so close to home frightens me. Besides, some of my favorite online stars are Canadians (like LRR). Good God, this is realllllllly scary. I basically see the internet as revolutionizing communication in much the same way the printing press did. Fucking that up so early in its lifetime is a BAD idea.

I.E.D. said:
I think Canadians should start walking like Egyptians.
I wish this site had like buttons next to posts, because that was amazing.

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
kaizen2468 said:
how can you even check how much you've used in a month?
My ISP is Videotron, and on their website you can view a handy chart of your day-to-day consumption. I have a limit of 120 Gb (Upload/Download included) per month for 67$, and I hit it every single time. 30Mb/sec of bandwidth is pretty much useless if you can't download much in the first place.

individual11

Sep 6, 2010
Yeah, a 10Gb cap at $35 NZD per month?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

New Zealand fucking sucks.

Oh wait, that's where I am.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Wow, I... I don't even know how to react to this with anything other than "I am disappoint."

The internet is a very important thing in this day and age. How could the government allow Bell to slash their download caps just to squeeze more money out of us? What enrages me the most is that neither I nor anyone that I know has even heard anything remotely related to this.

For the first time in my life, I think I'm going to write to my local MP. This is not a good thing for any Canadian internet user, be they a PC gamer, online console gamer, troll, lurker, or even Anonymous. Even normal people who do most of their social networking on the internet such as myself are going to be feeling the repercussions of this.

Canadian government, I am disappoint.