Cancelling the Apocalypse - Pacific Rim 2 Is No More - Update

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Aaand, there goes the sequel to the only decent robot action movie in the past 7 years.
On one hand, this means the good story will remain self-contained.
On the other hand, that is one less reason for me to give a single fuck about movies.
*shrugs*
Back to the status quo...

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Charcharo said:
Kajin said:
Charcharo said:
You really really need to calm down. It's a movie. The people who made it wanted to create a movie about giant monsters fighting giant robots. Not even the laws of physics are immune to the rules of cool and fun. Doesn't matter that such things can never happen in the real world. The real world is a boring place to be in at times. That's why we have fiction, and that's why a lot of that fiction is science fiction. If you can't forgive people for wanting to indulge in a little fantasy then you have no right WHATSOEVER to be offended or annoyed when they disagree with whatever assessments you bring to the table during discussions such as these.

You're making a big deal over nothing.
That is the thing. This is NOT the rule of cool for me. Not at all.

This bores me. It is not fun to me.

As I said, why must you people be served ... this thing you like for some reason... and not I?
Then why did you watch it? Why are you choosing to involve yourself to such an extent in a debate over something you don't even like? That you'll never accept, because you're unwilling or unable to suspend your disbelief over something that is inherently illogical when compared to the real world?

If it's not for you then it's not for you. Raining on other people's parade for liking something you don't like only serves to bring everyone involved down. It sucks that there apparently is such a drought on media you like that you must force your misery upon everyone else, but it's hardly our fault that there's an extreme dearth on media for you to consume. Maybe your tastes are just too niche? Either learn to broaden your horizons and enjoy things you didn't like before or don't. It's entirely up to you.

Hunter.Wolf

Jan 13, 2010
The movie is not indefinitely on hold, it's still coming in 2017.

http://www.scified.com/site/pacificrim2/guillermo-del-toro-confirms-pacific-rim-2-is-coming-april-2017

Even better, there is an animated TV series for Pacific Rim as well as a continuation of the prequel comics, great news for Pacific Rim fans i guess ;)

Here is hoping Crimson Peak will turn out to be an awesome horror/mystery movie like Pan's Labyrinth.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Pacific rim had critical succes?
What a joke.

The only thing I enjoyed about this movie was poking fun at it.

KayeFaye

Jul 28, 2015
This makes me sad, moreso from the standpoint that it also shoots down Hellboy 3 which I've been wanting FOREVER and apparently it was relying on Pacific Rim 2's success. =( Plus while I may not be all that interested in Pacific Rim personally (It wasn't bad, but the mecha and kaiju pastiche didn't interest me since neither of those things are particularly appealing and while I did like the character designs and some of the humour and charm the film just didn't engage me.) I want Del Toro to be able to make whatever the hell he wants. I'm still peeved that Universal scared him away from "At The Mountains of Madness" just because he wanted to be faithful to the story and not shovel in a happy ending and a romance. We could have had the first H.P. Lovecraft adaptation to ACTUALLY ADAPT LOVECRAFT, goddammit. From Beyond and the Re-Animator films are among me and my wife's list of cult films, but they're more parody than proper adaptation. Del Toro is a bankable and respectable director, isn't he? Let him do whatever makes him happy, and trust me, there are A LOT of people who will see his movies Hollywood.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Charcharo said:
WHy cant I have my big budget monster movie with real machines that make sense? But you people get your insane fantasy.
There's been one. It was called Godzilla and came out in 1998, directed by Roland Emmerich of Independence Day fame.

It was also pretty much godawful but still...its pretty much exactly what you want, absolutely everything you described I think. A big budget monster movie with normal humans and normal human weapons fighting and winning against the big monster; which is effectively a big scary animal.

The problem with your wish is that for most people it doesn't work. Suspension of disbelief only real works for giant monster movies if you go ALL THE WAY with it and have giant monsters fighting other, even more absurd, giant monsters. Or giant robots as an alternative. If you don't take it to the extreme it ends up looking either stupid, boring or both.

Frankly it seems you just don't like Sci-Fi, like...you're throwing a wobbler over some of the most basic sci-fi tropes here. I bet its fun trying to watch something like Star Wars with you...yelling about how lightsabres are stupid and that the Death Star couldn't possibly exist. I'd recommend you never ever watch Star Trek because your head might explode from the nonsense technobabble.

Gretha Unterberg said:
ColaWarVeteran said:
What Pacific Rim really needed was a prequel animated series or a set of mini-sodes similar to The Animatrix. They had been fighting these kaiju for years and we see very little of that.
Yeah, it might be an unpopular opinion.
But I think the whole storyline about the first contact, the jaeger project and arms race should have beem explored more rather then expanding all fistfights by additional 10 minutes each.

A kaiju of the week series with an overarcing storyline and pacific rim as grand finaly......yeah, I would totaly watch this.
+1 to this. I was hugely disappointed in missing out on the "building up" stage of it. So much potential there for exciting stuff.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
major_chaos said:
Stabby Joe said:
Same low points? So Hellboy and it's sequel were 3 hour product placement laden, overly edited bloated action maelstroms filled with sexist, racist and homophobic caricatures that had higher billing than the titular characters?
OK, I may have bleached the more socially irresponsible "fuck you Bay, you racist, sexist sack of shit" elements of Transformers from my brain as a sanity preservation mechanism, so that is one more point in Hellboy's favor, but still:

Worthless plot that exists solely as string between shiny objects (action scenes)? Check.
Utterly lifeless forgettable (again, exception of Perlman) cast? Check.
Chaotic CGI-tastic action scenes with zero impact? Check, although you can actually follow the action in Hellboy.
Utterly toothless to get those sweet PG-13 monies? Check.
Painful, cringy "humor" that might have been funny when I was 13? Check, although Hellboy isn't nearly as painful.
Worse version of something that already exists and did not in any way need a shitty adaptation? Check.

Hellboy had slightly lesser versions of what made Bayformers bad, but none of what made it truly loathsome. Although certain schools of though would consider Liz being a useless damsel in the first movie a bit sexist. I personally don't, I just think its lazy hackneyed writing.
I would still consider a lot of that subjective but to each of his own I guess.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Charcharo said:
So let me get this straight. There was one subjectively bad example of what you seem to think I want. And that means that it cant be done.
This, my friend, is on the same level as when AAA publishers say single player games are dead or horror games cant be done nowadays.
Thanks...
Point one: That wasn't "an example to highlight" particularly. That was me actually making a legitimate suggestion to you. Go watch the film if that's the kind of thing you like; its got most things you seem to want in.

Point two: Then I went on to elaborate part of why people didn't like it. This isn't anything to do with what triple A publishers say. It was a commentary on SPECIFIC CRITICISMS LEVELED AT THAT FILM. They included numerous criticisms complaining of the lack of breathing atomic fire, the fact that it was more like an animal running from the military rather than an anthropomorphised being and the very fact that the "normal boring military" was able to take it down being judged as absurd. These were things that were brought up in critical commentary on the film as being things people did not like about it. And they are all things that would appear to be are right up your alley, given your focus on 'realism'. Hence what I said. I'm not just pulling this out of nowhere, you know?

I love Science Fiction. I even gave an example on what I like. Strugatsky brothers. Honestly, seems like it is more a case of... other people not liking science fiction really. NOT me. This is how I interpret your comment.

Star Wars is ... not exactly Science Fiction (theme-wise). I do like it though. I like Star Trek, goofs and all. Wrong assumptions.
You complain about a bunch of things being nonsensical and not working that way, effectively complaining about having to suspend your disbelief; which is surprisingly common thing to have to do in sci-fi as a general medium. Then go on to say you like series like Star Trek and Star Wars which are full of nonsensical stuff that cannot possibly work. Your arguments are internally inconsistent.

Also the Strugastsky brothers, as far as I'm aware, are known as among the hardest of hard sci-fi authors (i.e. sci-fi with a very specific, pedantic attention to scientific detail and accuracy) and so are a poor example of Sci-Fi as a broad medium. They're in a very specific niche, one which Pacific Rim does not share. You might as well go watch Lord of the Rings and complain that most of the races involved don't exist and therefore shouldn't be in a quasi-medieval setting; you're looking at it with entirely the wrong frame of mind and attributing it to the wrong kind of genre niche.

Hunter.Wolf

Jan 13, 2010
Gretha Unterberg said:
Gretha Unterberg said:
ColaWarVeteran said:
What Pacific Rim really needed was a prequel animated series or a set of mini-sodes similar to The Animatrix. They had been fighting these kaiju for years and we see very little of that.
But I think the whole storyline about the first contact, the jaeger project and arms race should have beem explored more rather then expanding all fistfights by additional 10 minutes each.

A kaiju of the week series with an overarcing storyline and pacific rim as grand finaly......yeah, I would totaly watch this.
+1 to this. I was hugely disappointed in missing out on the "building up" stage of it. So much potential there for exciting stuff.
There is already a prequel comic that covers exactly that, the whole first contact war and how the first Jaeger was built, it's called "Tales From Year Zero" and it's getting a continuation as well as an animated series.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I just want to know for sure if Pacific Rim 2 is going to get greenlit or not, and how it could possibly build on the first movie.
Then again, it's not often we see a movie that builds this unique world and says everything it needs to in only one movie. Remember Equilibrium? That didn't need a sequel, and it's still awesome!

ensouls

Feb 1, 2010
I never understood all the love for Pacific Rim.. it struck me as a parody of the genre that played it a little too straight and dumb. but then I have no love for cgi robotfests

Gretha Unterberg

Jul 14, 2013
Hunter.Wolf said:
Gretha Unterberg said:
Gretha Unterberg said:
ColaWarVeteran said:

There is already a prequel comic that covers exactly that, the whole first contact war and how the first Jaeger was built, it's called "Tales From Year Zero" and it's getting a continuation as well as an animated series.
NOt a fan of comicbooks, but thanks for letting us know about this :)