Cannon fodder (fantasy superpower rp) (closed, started)

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
Actually, I have another question myself. What is the state of non-military human technology/society? you can answer with an approximate century in the real world if that makes things easier - I'm just curious for a few little flavor add-ons I want to make.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
i have a few questions.

1)stats, i get how some work, but what dose ingenuity effect? actually, a better explanation of what all the stats do would help

2)what about multiple 'power sets'? since most super powered beings actually have several 'sets' they pull from
1. ingenuity, when this stat was originally thought off it was referred to as the mc,guyver skill, it shows how well you can apply your knowledge of how things work and how quickly you can come up with plans.
strength, how much a character can lift or move etc.
speed, how wuickly your character can move.
charisma, how good your conversational skills are this includes manners, wit and trading skills.
intelligence, how easily your character cna understand ideas and how much knowledge they have.
agility, reflexes and flexability
perception, how fell you can interpret body language, your serroundings and quality of eye site
endurance, your stamina and damage resistance.

2. you will have one power set for your character sheet with a constant theme e.g. a element or based of the abilities of an animal. the reason I refer to the character sheet power segment as main power will be revealed when the character sheets are selected.

hiei82 said:
Actually, I have another question myself. What is the state of non-military human technology/society? you can answer with an approximate century in the real world if that makes things easier - I'm just curious for a few little flavor add-ons I want to make.
human non military technologies would be about 50-100 years behind

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
nuba km said:
hiei82 said:
So the technological level of the vikings, bread is a relatively new innovation, and art is "gothic"

Is there a religion providing overarching social stability between nations and species or is it pure diplomacy and mutually assured destruction theories that keep the species from killing each other (or mix of both)

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
i have a few questions.

1)stats, i get how some work, but what dose ingenuity effect? actually, a better explanation of what all the stats do would help

2)what about multiple 'power sets'? since most super powered beings actually have several 'sets' they pull from
1. ingenuity, when this stat was originally thought off it was referred to as the mc,guyver skill, it shows how well you can apply your knowledge of how things work and how quickly you can come up with plans.
speed, how quickly your character can move.
charisma, how good your conversational skills are this includes manners, wit and trading skills.
intelligence, how easily your character cna understand ideas and how much knowledge they have.
perception, how fell you can interpret body language, your surroundings and quality of eye site

2. you will have one power set for your character sheet with a constant theme e.g. a element or based of the abilities of an animal. the reason I refer to the character sheet power segment as main power will be revealed when the character sheets are selected.
i can work with 'one power set'

how dose 'speed' effect flight? or dose it?

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
nuba km said:
ecoho said:
nuba km said:
drmigit2 said:
Ok, so what are the tech limits for humans? I was considering making a mage hunter character but I need to know the tech available.
crossbows are in very limited supply only the rich, military and black market has them. Same is true for assasin creed like bombs (i.e. pirate bombs scaled down).
ok im very interested in this RP but id like you to clearify a few things for me first if thats ok.

1. do we have our skills from the start or do we learn them over time?
2. by medevil time period are we talking the same timeline for other countires or just europe?(mostly woundering about Japan that eara items being able to be used)
we are talking Europe as I am not familiar with the medieval tech of other parts of the world. though their are other countries in this world, though anyone form those countries being in human territory or any of their tech to be their would be extremely rare. If you want some samurai style armour or weapons you could have gotten them at a very high prize(unless your character is made of gold they would have needed to steal it) form a merchant but unless it is necessary for your character I would like you to just stay with European.

EDIT: to answer you first question your power is unlocked as we go along
that was more torwds being able to have a sword forged like a katana IE: dam near unbreakible but ive found a different focus for my character and will try to have it up here soon.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
hiei82 said:
nuba km said:
hiei82 said:
So the technological level of the vikings, bread is a relatively new innovation, and art is "gothic"

Is there a religion providing overarching social stability between nations and species or is it pure diplomacy and mutually assured destruction theories that keep the species from killing each other (or mix of both)
while there are what we would call superstitious beliefs, because it is a world of magic it makes sense for people to believe in ghosts, fortune telling and snake oil medicine. Though their is no belief in actual deities there are many spiritual beliefs about how you should live your life, kinda like Buddhism, these believes reflect the views of their location of origin. For example the sophronius are ones who would not easily go to war but they have considered going to far with the yama for their lack of respect for life, during thse times the human government tries to convince the yama to pass temporary laws to restrict meat eating or necromancy, while these laws are rarely followed they appease the sophronius. the hansav can't really go to war as their is no goverment or power head to declare it though large groups of hansav have come together in the past in attempts to gain control of better land, the humans just give these hansav a large peace offering to try and stop this (even if it is not their land being invaded). Sometimes some of the 13 leaders try to convince the others to take tragic actions if the other countries don't remove restrictions from their necromancy laws, humans often try and bribe these yama into leaving the council. The bovur monks have unintentionally breed a lot of hostile in their culture towards magic users and enhanced beings, wiht other nations strongly supporting their magic universities or equivalent this has resulted in a lot of tension in bovur borders which could escalate, human provide extra guards for these areas to try and solve any conflict with at least violence as possible. So it is only the humans holding back these four nations of having an all out war.

Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
i have a few questions.

perception, how fell you can interpret body language, your surroundings and quality of eye site

I would say the power effects flight, btu keep in mind we have one person who already has a flight power.

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
ecoho said:
that was more torwds being able to have a sword forged like a katana IE: dam near unbreakible but ive found a different focus for my character and will try to have it up here soon.
Katanas are not "dam near unbreakible". They are very fragile actually. They chip and crack all the time due to their thin edge. A sword fight will ruin a katana in only a few swings. Just to make sure you have your facts straight :D.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
drmigit2 said:
ecoho said:
Katanas are not "dam near unbreakible". They are very fragile actually. They chip and crack all the time due to their thin edge. A sword fight will ruin a katana in only a few swings. Just to make sure you have your facts straight :D.
in fact I am sure if they would have been used against European armour they would have very quickly broken, hence why European swords are larger, thicker and heavier so they can smash the armour open if they don't get flesh.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
nuba km said:
drmigit2 said:
ecoho said:
in fact I am sure if they would have been used against European armour they would have very quickly broken, hence why European swords are larger, thicker and heavier so they can smash the armour open if they don't get flesh.
i really dont know were your getting your info but a traditional katana(not the mass produced crap you can buy at the store for $50) is folded steel that is harder and stronger then most europian weapons. also europian armor is significantly weaker then the standered Samurai armor which was a working of mutiple metal plates (a bit like plate armor but one was able to move much easier in it) but i digress ive gone from wanting to use one just had to put my teaching hat on:)

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
ecoho said:
nuba km said:
drmigit2 said:
ecoho said:
i really dont know were your getting your info but a traditional katana(not the mass produced crap you can buy at the store for $50) is folded steel that is harder and stronger then most europian weapons. also europian armor is significantly weaker then the standered Samurai armor which was a working of mutiple metal plates (a bit like plate armor but one was able to move much easier in it) but i digress ive gone from wanting to use one just had to put my teaching hat on:)
Unfortunately you are wrong again. Samurai armor was made of leather, possibly studded. They began using metal plates in the 1600s, which is after the time we are participating in. For heavy armor they actually had a specially designed weapon for that, it was called the Kanabo and looked like this.

Obviously that is a modern version, but you get the idea. Katanas were not in any way made to deal with heavy armor used by Europeans. At best they were used to go through light leather but none of them would not last long against plate armor. The process used to make Katanas gave them a brittle edge and made them require heavy maintenance. This was offset somewhat by their design but you still have an easily fractured edge. I am going to ask you that you quit getting your "facts" from samurai kung foo movies and anime.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
ecoho said:
nuba km said:
drmigit2 said:
ecoho said:
actually a weapon made form a single piece of steel contains less flaws then one made form folded steel, and flaws make metal more brittle, that and the way that European swords are cooled makes them harder but have significantly less cutting power hence why you have to hatchet limbs off with European swords, but made them excellent for beating up someone who is completely covered in armour or someone's shields(especially broadswords or zweihanders), while Japanese katanas and similar blades were specially crafted to maximize cutting power at the cost of other properties. I know I am not an expert and this is going off a mix of wikipedia, stuff I have heard over the years and my biology teacher (who owns and is trained in how to use a katana) so I may be wrong here, and if you have an specific sources of info I could read I am pretty happy to look into them.

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
Okay, time to put this katana business to bed. A katana contains 2 types of steel - a low carbon and a high carbon. High carbon steel is better able to hold an edge then low carbon steel, but is far more brittle. Low carbon is durable, but cannot cold an edge well. European blades use exclusivly low carbon steel to make their blades. these bladed are rarely broken, but need constant re-sharpening to make them cut again. This is why knights usually carry a whet stone (to resharpen their blades) and a mercy dagger (useful for putting someone injured to rest, not used in combat so it remains sharp)

Katana's follow a different model with it's own positives and negatives. they use both types of steel, with the front being made of the hard High carbon steel and the back the more durable low carbon steel. this is the reason katana's have that distinctive bend to them (the forging process thermally expands the metal, so when it cools, the low carbon contracts more) It is also why katana's are referred to a "single edge" swords - because only the front of the sword is useful in a fight. this allows the sword to remain sharp over a long period of time without breaking. BUT it has a downside. this strength is only in the direction of the folds (used to strengthen the blade and bind the two metals together). If a katana strikes at the wrong angle, where the blade does not hit in the correct orientation, the low carbon steel can't absorb the blow, and the blade will snap because the high carbon steel is so fragile. That's why the typical samurai is depicted (historically and contemporarily) as a well trained warrior - because it takes years of practice to use a katana correctly.

Armor: The Japanese had limited metal to work with, as the Japanese island chain is low in underground natural resources such as metal. As such, wood and leather made up the bulk of their armor - compared to Europe and their abundance of metal who used it freely in their later armor selection. Because of the sharpness of the katana, it is a better blade for piercing and hacking at metal armor - assuming it is used correctly.

This video is not a particularly good show of the difference between the two types of blades, but I have to go to work and it's the first one that popped into my head.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
i have a few questions.

I would say the power effects flight, but keep in mind we have one person who already has a flight power.
yeah? saw that. that's them though :p I'm running on 'comic book logic' in terms of who has what powers, and flight is very common, and it was that, or teleporting, and 'porting is OP (not a fan of super speed)

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
i have a few questions.

I would say the power effects flight, but keep in mind we have one person who already has a flight power.
yeah? saw that. that's them though :p I'm running on 'comic book logic' in terms of who has what powers, and flight is very common, and it was that, or teleporting, and 'porting is OP (not a fan of super speed)
well every power can be balanced with the right limitation, also I don't quite understand what you mean with the highlighted section

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
i have a few questions.

well every power can be balanced with the right limitation, also I don't quite understand what you mean with the highlighted section
just that cause one person has it already doesn't mean no one else can have it is all

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
i have a few questions.

just that cause one person has it already doesn't mean no one else can have it is all
ah, well I never said you can't have flight (though it does seem like I suggested it), I am saying having multiple people with the same power results in limitations of what can be done and can make things less interesting, so if you pick flying pick a variation of it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
i have a few questions.

ah, well I never said you can't have flight (though it does seem like I suggested it), I am saying having multiple people with the same power results in limitations of what can be done and can make things less interesting, so if you pick flying pick a variation of it.
well, I'll have something up later, so you'll see. but mechanically it won't work the same as the other guys.

the real ***** will back story x.x not due to lack of ideas, but my habit of writing text walls for back grounds

Pappytech

Invested all my Souls into Res
Jun 7, 2011
I have to admit, this does catch my interest, especially the way you're handling the powers. How would you react to a character whose ability deals with negating or amplifying kinetic energy? Basically someone who can take Newton's Third Law of Motion and toss it out the window.

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
nuba km said:
Lunar Templar said:
i have a few questions.

Ohohohoho yes! Join Fromanzio and float, float on forever more to infinity with Fromanzio! We shall have such fun! The sights! The sounds and the screaming. Yes, I imagine it will be accompanied with great laughter! Aheuehoheuahahaue.