Capcom Faces Bullying Accusation

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Capcom Faces Bullying Accusation

A female game developer who worked on Dragon's Dogma claims she was bullied to the point of becoming suicidal.

According to Kotaku's translation [http://kotaku.com/5911353/japanese-game-developer-apparently-harassed-so-much-she-attempted-suicide] of an article on <url=http://kotaku.com/5911353/japanese-game-developer-apparently-harassed-so-much-she-attempted-suicide>Minpokyo, the unnamed twenty-something female joined Capcom in 2009 and was assigned to what was the company's largest development team at the time, the Dragon's Dogma crew. Shortly after, a senior female employee was assigned to the team, and she promptly set about making things as unpleasant as possible for her younger subordinate.

The new manager apparently singled out the young woman for criticism in meetings and frequently assigned her impossible tasks with no instructions.

The young employee apparently spent months working on a database to increase the efficiency of internal game development, only to be dropped from the team and told "even if the database is a success, [she was] worthless to the team."

Following that, two different superiors began trying to get her fired, apparently spreading rumors that "her ideas stink," that she was "problematic," prone to abandoning her work and skipping meetings. She approached Capcom's HR department, which did nothing about the bullying.

Later the same year, the young woman was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. During her sick leave, she attempted to commit suicide via an overdose of sleeping pills, antidepressants and cold medicine.

When she eventually returned to work, other employees insisted she hadn't recovered. Her boss eventually suspended, then fired her. The young lady has since brought a lawsuit against Capcom.

An appalling story, but right now we only have the young lady's side of the story, and fired employees are prone to making unpleasant claims about the companies that have fired them. That being said, Japan does have a sizable bullying problem, both in the schoolyard and the boardroom. Reports of "pawahara" or "power harassment," where managers use their authority to harass their subordinates, have been growing year over year. Back in January of this year, the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare released a definition of the term "power harassment." Unacceptable behavior included: "asking junior employees to perform impossible tasks, committing acts of violence and other physical offenses, causing emotional stress, isolating or ignoring individuals, asking personal questions, and giving an employee nothing or very little to do."

The Mighty Stove

Apr 16, 2012
I think their new motto should be "Set sail for fail!." Because their sure as hell failing as respectable company, between on disc dlc, typos on packages of a final product, now this.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
But why they did bully her, then? Doing all that just for shits and giggles seems like a stretch to me.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
OniaPL said:
But why they did bully her, then? Doing all that just for shits and giggles seems like a stretch to me.
Some posit that Japan's bullying problem is a product of a society that values conformity over individuality. I don't think it's quite as simple as that, but it's a good place to start.

Dec 14, 2009
Shawn MacDonald said:
Always sounds worse when you only hear one side. A suicide attempt seems a little out of place, unless that was her only means of getting by at the time. A stupid jury will soak up that suicide attempt like a sponge, she will probably win.
That's some nice victim blaming you've got going there.

Grey Carter said:
OniaPL said:
Some posit that Japan's bullying problem is a product of a society that values conformity over individuality. I don't think it's quite as simple as that, but it's a good place to start.
Indeed.

While I was studying criminology, I looked at the ways various cultures dealt with individuals who have been found guilty of crimes.

Whilst in the West, you're family and friends may very well shun and feel shame, that's pretty much where it ends.

In Japan, nearly every affiliation you have will feel shame for having known you, family, friends, the company you work for, the place you buy your coffee in the morning (okay maybe an exaggeration), but conformity to the group is much more predominant.

That's probably why they get up to such crazy things in their private time, to counteract the soul crushing conformity of everyday life.

Dec 14, 2009
Shawn MacDonald said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
Always sounds worse when you only hear one side. A suicide attempt seems a little out of place, unless that was her only means of getting by at the time. A stupid jury will soak up that suicide attempt like a sponge, she will probably win.

Grey Carter said:
OniaPL said:
Indeed.

While I was studying criminology, I looked at the ways various cultures dealt with individuals who have been found guilty of crimes.

Whilst in the West, you're family and friends may very well shun and feel shame, that's pretty much where it ends.

In Japan, nearly every affiliation you have will feel shame for having known you, family, friends, the company you work for, the place you buy your coffee in the morning (okay maybe an exaggeration), but conformity to the group is much more predominant.

That's probably why they get up to such crazy things in their private time, to counteract the soul crushing conformity of everyday life.
A story with one side isn't a story. A simple fool might believe in the plight of strangers, but I need more info.
You need more info, yet...

A stupid jury will soak up that suicide attempt like a sponge, she will probably win.
You make an assumption based on one side of the story, yet criticise others for doing so?

Dec 14, 2009
Shawn MacDonald said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Shawn MacDonald said:

Grey Carter said:
OniaPL said:
Indeed.

A story with one side isn't a story. A simple fool might believe in the plight of strangers, but I need more info.
You need more info, yet...

A stupid jury will soak up that suicide attempt like a sponge, she will probably win.
You make an assumption based on one side of the story, yet criticise others for doing so?
A simple thing like suicide can get a jury to believe things that may have been blown out of proportion. A suicide is a hard thing to deal with, but it might just be her meal ticket. After serving on the jury one time in my life, I can't begin to tell you how effective crying can really be. A simple fool comment wasn't directed at you guys, just people who believe blindly.
You've been on a Japanese jury?

Anecdotal evidence, isn't evidence at all.

Conformity in Japanese culture is much more predominant than in western world. The group is valued more highly than the individual, so while a jury in our part of the world may very well feel pity for her, there's a chance a Japanese jury will not be affected in the same way.

The Mighty Stove

Apr 16, 2012
OniaPL said:
This is just a guess but, The senior adviser may have seen her as a threat. That probably sounds weird, but as a fellow female in a fairly male dominated industry desperate people do desperate things.

Daystar Clarion said:
Also in Japan, isn't your place of work taken VERY seriously?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Shawn MacDonald said:
Wait, are you advocating an impartial examination of the case? Because your tone strongly implies that you are blindly siding with Capcom.

Perhaps the lady is justified in her accusations. Perhaps it's all a lie. Perhaps parts of it are true and other parts are a fabrication. I for one am going to wait until both accounts are heard before reaching an opinion on the situation.

Dec 14, 2009
The Mighty Stove said:
OniaPL said:
This is just a guess but, The senior adviser may have seen her as a threat. That probably sounds weird, but as a fellow female in a fairly male dominated industry desperate people do desperate things.

Daystar Clarion said:
Also in Japan, isn't your place of work taken VERY seriously?
I'm no expert on the subject, but from what I studied, yeah, it's taken very seriously.

A company will apologise for the ill behaviour of it's employees, even if the behaviour had nothing to do with the company.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Shawn MacDonald said:
Always step aside and wait for things to unfold. A suicide attempt can be powerful in a courtroom, thats all really.
I don't see why a suicide attempt shouldn't be taken into consideration quite frankly. If her situation was that bad that she felt it would be better if she was dead then that needs to be taken into account of the way Capcom treated her.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Shawn MacDonald said:
Hazy992 said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
Always step aside and wait for things to unfold. A suicide attempt can be powerful in a courtroom, thats all really.
I don't see why a suicide attempt shouldn't be taken into consideration quite frankly. If her situation was that bad that she felt it would be better if she was dead then that needs to be taken into account of the way Capcom treated her.
A suicide attempt won't be taken into consideration, okay then. (rolls eyes)
I didn't say that at all. I suggest you read what I've written again

Dec 14, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
Ive said it once, I'll say it again, Capcom: The EA and Activision of Japan.
EA and Activision?

I dunno.

Capcom seems like the stupid sidekick who always messes up.

I mean come on, spelling mistakes on game packaging?

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
I have not once bought or played a Capcom game in my life. Sweet, sweet justification!