Capcom: Our Resident Evil Gamer Fanbase Is Too Old

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Seventh Actuality said:
If the gimmick restaurants and dressing up don't pan out, they could always try making good games.
What do you think Capcom is, a games publisher? Oh wait...

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
What Capcom needs to understand is that their original audience some might have outgrown gaming with having families, but many still buy games they just tend to look for good ones. Capcom damaged my business relationship with them after Resident Evil 5 and the on-disk DLC unlocks. I still buy video games, but the days of buying a lot are over, but I still have room for Mario and Zelda games so if they decide to make a decent Resident Evil game I will buy that too.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Seventh Actuality said:
If the gimmick restaurants and dressing up don't pan out, they could always try making good games.
Ninja'd. 'When in doubt, blame the consumer' well done Capcom, well done.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Once again blaming their fans, by making excuses, for their lack of sales, for their crap game!
They've gone childish on us, at this point they deserve to go bankrupt for running away from the truth.

Literally and metaphorically.

And its almost 2014! Good luck surviving the end of that year, cause with that mentality, you wont't. Might be a good thing at this point.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Phrozenflame500 said:
Karloff said:
Placement in fashion magazines, opening Universal Halloween Horror Nights [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118074-Resident-Evil-Restaurant-Comig-Soon] are three strategies Capcom pursues to keep the Resident Evil name alive. Get people who've never touched a controller, and perhaps never will, and you've rejuvenated the fan base, goes Capcom's logic.
Or you could go back to making good fucking games so people will go back to buying them.

Honestly, the fact a game with a 68 on Metacritic (where every triple-A game is required by law to get at least an 80) managed 5 million sales is both surprising and depressing.
A lot of people like to say that marketing does not work on them... yet sales tie more closely to marketing budgets than metacritic scores...

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Capcom, you are blaming the people that MADE YOU WHAT YOU ARE TODAY for YOUR failings? ARE YOU LISTENING TO YOURSELVES?

1. Make a PROPER Resident Evil game. Take it back to 4 if you don't want to go too far back but dammit it's NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A STRAIGHT UP SHOOTER!
2. MAKE A PROPER BREATH OF FIRE GAME! Your flagship RPG is sinking, WHY!? Hell make a proper BoF HD remake and put it on the 3DS. It would probably sell like hotcakes.
3. PORT MONSTER HUNTER TO THE POPULAR WESTERN SYSTEMS. Stop letting the portables just have it dammit.
4. Make a proper Dragon's Dogma sequel that let's us explore the rest of Gransys AND proper multiplayer with real life people instead of brain-dead pawns.
5. If all else fails, sell everything to Nintendo.(kind of a joke that last one)

Please don't die like this Capcom, it would be a shame.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
If there was ever a videogame franchise in need of a reboot...They'd do better focusing on smaller-budgeted titles that put more thought into scaring it's audience rather than supplying the tired run and gun action that seems to have permeated the series in the past few years. What I'd like to see is a Resi Evil along the lines of an indie title like "Lone Survivor". Low-key and if not horrifying (Due to it's graphics) at the very least grim and unsettling.

Kecunk

Feb 8, 2011
You wanna know how Capcom can get new fans into resident evil the same way they got their old fans into resident evil by making the games not suck and providing an experience that's hard to find anywhere else.

Classic RE might not of been the best survival horror games but they are what brought survival horror to a more mainstream audience

You wanna know how I first got interested in resident evil, it wasn't because the resident evil themed spaghetti was soo good at the resident evil themed restaurant that I decided to buy resident evil 7.

I was because my friend said he wanted to show me the awesome new game he got and watching him play it drew me in to the point that I wanted to own it myself.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
There's something about Capcom failing so miserably that satisfies me. Really I feel bad for the people who are probably gonna lose their jobs because of executive idiots again, but Capcom has burned me so much in the last few years that I either a) don't buy their games at all or b) make sure that they are used so then they get no money from it. >:3

What, I'm a disgruntled Megaman Legends fan who's still pissed at the fact that Capcom blamed the cancellation of the game on the fact that apparently I didn't love it enough. That'd be like Iwata cancelling a Kirby game because "the fans obviously didn't love it enough". >.>

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
So your taking the Squarenix approach I guess? Change the original format so much that the older fanbase does not know what its looking at and the complain when you did not reach your target goals that you pulled out of a hat?

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
I would love for Capcom to get back to the original formula - I'd love to play a remake of the original game for this console generation, since I didn't come into consoles until after 2001...and my tastes hadn't come into the realm of survival horror....

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Capcom has been run by stubbornly arrogant jaggoffs for a while now, but since the start of the previous console generation, their arrogance has only intensified. When Inafune left the company, that legitimately spooked me, because it was very clearly the result of a clash of egos.

And ever since, Capcom has only become more outward with their contempt for the market. Last year they blamed western developers for their woes, and are now doggedly ignoring how RE6's was all but unanimously panned for the same reasons.
Instead, they've opted to blame their demographic.

The same demographics, who produced QUINTUPLE PLATINUM SALES FOR THEM.
Which still isn't good enough for them...uh, there's no way to describe that except as "FUCKING INSANE".

I'm sorry, but loss of jobs or not, I cannot bring myself to feel any sympathy for a company that arrogant and stupid.
Not even one with iconic game series under their belt.

Though maybe they have a point. Perhaps they should be worried about their old target demographic growing older, because as they do, they're likely to be less gullible and better at spotting bullshit.

Neronium said:
There's something about Capcom failing so miserably that satisfies me. Really I feel bad for the people who are probably gonna lose their jobs because of executive idiots again, but Capcom has burned me so much in the last few years that I either a) don't buy their games at all or b) make sure that they are used so then they get no money from it. >:3

What, I'm a disgruntled Megaman Legends fan who's still pissed at the fact that Capcom blamed the cancellation of the game on the fact that apparently I didn't love it enough. That'd be like Iwata cancelling a Kirby game because "the fans obviously didn't love it enough". >.>
I don't blame ya. I'm in the same camp, really.
It's clear to me that Capcom is trapped in their old ways; only now they're without their original talent, as most of their old key developers have departed the company, mostly in the last decade.

So from what I can see, it's not just their target demographic who is getting "too old" for their shit.
Capcom is outdated and haven't found a way to remain relevant, like many of their peers in Japan (except Nintendo, but Nintendo is...weird to say the least).

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Wait a minute... You're tired of selling games to the people who actually have the money to buy video games?

I wasn't hugely impressed with RE5, and it kept me from even taking a look at RE6 (which, according to most reviews, is for the best). But I honestly don't think it's a matter of age; it's more that I don't have the patience to push through tedious and ill-conceived game play in order to move forward a grim, nonsensical plot. (You can be grim or nonsensical, but my tolerance for Diabolus Ex Machina is pretty low.)

I've liked some RE games; I just don't think the franchise is sacrosanct. Games like Operation: Raccoon City haven't helped. It's good that they're willing to try to move in new directions, but I think Capcom needs to stop thinking that the strength of the name is a cover for all sins.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I wonder what their budget was since selling over 5 million copies isn't enough apparently. I've played Resident Evil since I was old enough to handle a controller properly, and I'm only 19. The fanbase isn't too old, but the games are changing too much for their own good.

I personally feel that RE6, although being a super fun game in coop much like RE5, fell a bit short because of the massive overhaul the game received. Fans want the old stuff, and I'm talking about everything between RE1 and RE4( except for that first-person rail shooter they releases. Nobody wants that shit).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Maybe if you finally dropped the bullshit bio-terrorism plots, stopped shoving quick-time events into gameplay/cutscenes, removed random-item generation and focused more on actual survival horror, Capcom.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
otakon17 said:
Capcom, you are blaming the people that MADE YOU WHAT YOU ARE TODAY for YOUR failings? ARE YOU LISTENING TO YOURSELVES?

1. Make a PROPER Resident Evil game. Take it back to 4 if you don't want to go too far back but dammit it's NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A STRAIGHT UP SHOOTER!
2. MAKE A PROPER BREATH OF FIRE GAME! Your flagship RPG is sinking, WHY!? Hell make a proper BoF HD remake and put it on the 3DS. It would probably sell like hotcakes.
3. PORT MONSTER HUNTER TO THE POPULAR WESTERN SYSTEMS. Stop letting the portables just have it dammit.
4. Make a proper Dragon's Dogma sequel that let's us explore the rest of Gransys AND proper multiplayer with real life people instead of brain-dead pawns.
5. If all else fails, sell everything to Nintendo.(kind of a joke that last one)

Please don't die like this Capcom, it would be a shame.
Uh, that's kind of the problem; the fact of the matter is that you can't expect your audience to stay on. The comics industry learned that the hard way by constantly catering to a shrinking demographic. As for your points, let's see here:

1. Uh, 6 WAS a proper RE game. Once the series dropped all pretenses of being a horror series they were better off for it. Being a shooter wasn't the problem. It was that it wasn't as tightly designed as 4 or 5.

2. And then watch the game sell NOTHING.

3. MH4 is on the 3DS. How the HELL is that not a popular systems.

4. They might get around to that

5. And not a very good joke.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
Sound like whoever is in charge there is the one who's actually too old. They have no freakin idea what people want, and are insanely out of touch with the world. Hey, how about making a good horror games(I know, debatable if it was good or so bad its good but that's not the point right now), you know, that thing that actually made the series popular? Yeah that, now make one and sell it to the people who CARE about your damn IP, instead of creating more abominations.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Seventh Actuality said:
But it's the aging fanbase that's the problem. The games are just fine. /sarcasm

Yet another example of a company not getting it. Future game developers better be taking notes with all of this stuff. Honestly, their failures are plainly obvious to anyone willing to actually turn a critical eye to them.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
I miss the older resident evils when it was more about survival. Sure 4 was fun but 5 went to more action and I didn't bother with 6. Well capcom I spose you could say that as 1 of your older gen, I have lost interest in the franchise but its because you made it so much like every other action game out there and survival horror was thrown out the window. I just played the evil mansion mod for skyrim (resident evil 1 recreation into skyrim) it was pretty awesome and the atmosphere was great, the howls of invisible werewolves in narrow corridors did bring a stab of terror. Maybe they should look at that mod and try to recreate some of the horror and survival that the series once invoked. Ok better stop there before the rant gets even worse.