Capcom: Our Resident Evil Gamer Fanbase Is Too Old

superhys

Nov 27, 2013
Instead of trying to appeal to everybody and their mothers, they should just make a GOOD game. That, combined with the Resi brand name will sell. They're too deluded though.

superhys

Nov 27, 2013
A Gamecube JUST for a Resident Evil remake. Right, because that's the only reason to have bought a Gamecube... Sigh...

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I guess trading on nostalia doesn't last forever. Seeing as the last good Resident Evil game was 4. Perhaps making a decent game would turn their fortunes around?

Personally, I don't care if they ever make another RE game.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
What i find especialy sad about capcoms recent decline into bottomless stupidity is that they still have some rough gems and treasures like Dragons dogma or the monster hunter series.

The later one especialy boggles my mind. Usually translation of games nowadays costs a fortune because you need voice actors of different nationalities and even then the quality greatly differs.

However no monster hunter game ever had voiceovers... its all just text and not even alot of text compared to other games of that calibre. The language spoken by the people is complete gibberish. So my question is what is so expensive to get some japanese guys who are good at english to translate the text into english and release an english version?

Nowadays most people who play games also can atleast read english. But yet capcom stubbornly refuses to bring their monster hunter titles abroad anymore... especialy the PC players who is a complete untapped market for them in the west. Especialy since online gaming is much more relevant on PC then it is on consoles.

As to dragons dogma? They got almost everything right... kept for some glaring issues. One is the incredible fast paced story.. allowing no real character growth with the story relevant NPCs.. each of them getting like one quest where most of the time during the quest you dont even spend around them. So suddenly one NPC starts a rebellion... you know.. him and his 12 soldiers.. and its suposed to be that big shocking turn of events... but really you barely knew the guy and just kill him with a backhand attack.

Wich leads to the second issue... you outlevel the given content way to fast. And then theres the fast travel system in the original.. or lack thereof.

All these issues kept the game from being comparable to stuff like dragon age or skyrim.. it could have outclassed both these games had capcom just bothered to make it a better game.

But its much easier to blame your customers then to ask yourselfe if the games you make are good.

The sheer arrogance and xenophobia from capcom is mind boggling.. they really HATE everything related to business outside of japan. Even nintendo and sega arent that xenophobic and they kept some pretty good games from western broders.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Can't say this really bothers me much. Never cared about Resident Evil. And I'm still happy to play their other franchises, like Sengoku Basara or Monster Hunter, even if I have import some of the region free titles because they won't do western releases. But if Capcom goes under financially because of their attitude, it wouldn't surprise me.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Capcom.

*sigh*

Sometimes I wonder if you're even taking this whole "gaming developer" business thing seriously. Capcom might as well become the punchline to a variety of gaming jokes.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Haha, yeah, right. And Megaman Legends 3 didn't have enough interest.
You drank too much of your own corporate Kool-Aid, Capcom.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Whenever i start thinking Squeeenix is going to take the crown for worst videogame corporation ever Capcom reminds me once again why it has that title in my eyes.
Next thing you know they blame gamers dieing of old age for not meeting their sales. because thats the only way you can call gamer "too old".

additionally i have actually tried whats the fuss is about and played RE1. It was horrible. And the graphics or controls didnt bother me in Silent Hill, but it just felt horible for RE for some reason, and yes i know it came 1 year earlier.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
GamerMage said:
Trishbot said:
The gamers "outgrew" the original RE format?

Is that why Pokemon, a game that was birthed around the same time period nearly 15 years ago, continues to sell so well to both old fans AND new fans?

Capcom... we need to talk. Resident Evil was once king of the survival horror genre, a trend setter... rather than a trend follower, embarrassingly copying Gears of War, Uncharted, God of War, Call of Duty and other market trends to diminishing results.

You won't win the Call of Duty crowd. They already have Call of Duty. Win the Resident Evil crowd. That's what Resident Evil was best at.
I agree, but Capcom is quickly becoming like Frank Miller aren't they? Used to put out good stuff, but went crazy in recent years.
Don't get me started on Frank. That still baffles and saddens me. It's like George Lucas; someone must have kidnapped the original version and replaced it with an imperfect, broken pod person with none of the skill, creativity, or talent. It's the only explanation.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Leviano said:
I would give my first born for HD remakes of Res Evil 1,2,Nem,CodeV.
YES.

The first couple of REs are some of my absolitely favorite games, lush with mystery, cheese, ridiculous bosses and betrayals. And horror. Especially the first one. I actually bought a Gamecube just to replay it with better graphics.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Mr. Q said:

Capcom, if you're gonna run a company with that kind of half-ass logic, I might as well take you out back and put two deer slugs in the back of your head.

The reason why RE6 failed is because you tried reaching out to the "spunkgargleweewee" fans who barely give half a rat's ass about other properties that are not Call of Duty or Battlefield. I don't care if you're gonna do another sequel or reboot the franchise, but, Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, get this series back to its survival horror roots. Either learn from what made RE4 popular (and not just gloss over the details) or learn how to do proper survival horror (might wanna take notes from Amnesia: The Dark Decent and Outlast). You cannot spend your time trying to chase an audience that is already taken care of. Focus on winning back your fan base, make a damn good product, and let word of mouth take care of the rest.

You cannot afford to fuck up anymore, Capcom! Failure is no longer an option in this day and age!

THQ is already dead and buried. EA has one foot in the grave judging from their past actions. Do you really want your company to suffer the same fate?
They pretty much are dying. They only got $150 mil in the bank. What's killing them is their hatred for anything that isn't fighters or RE. And if they're not fucking up their franchises, they're treating their employees like shit. That guy who created Street Fighter had to be hospitalized for exhausion after SFXT and then there was the girl who worked on Dragon's Dogma who tried to kill herself after repeatedly being bullied by her bosses.

I hope Capcom burns and the good employees get better jobs while the shit ones(AKA the higher ups) get stuck in the mail rooms until they learn what they did wrong.

strumbore

Mar 1, 2013
CAPCOM: STOP PUTTING STUPID, CAMPY DIALOG/STUNTS IN YOUR ***HORROR GAMES*** and maybe I'll buy one of them again.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Whenever a company, a studio or even a band says something along the lines of "our fans are old/stuck in the past."

What they really mean is that they are too old and stuck in the past. Johnathan Davis from Korn said something very similar regarding their album The Path Of Totality.

the instant a company starts blaming their fans for it's own problems the instant I start losing respect. While fans can be a problem in their own right, two things.

A. you created them and B. They only have as much inference as you allow.

If you're sick of your current fan base, then start a new one.

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
Isn't that just proof that the newer releases simply sucked big time? The only reason they sold is because the audience that played the first few entries in the series (1, 2, 3, maybe Veronica and 4 I guess) and therefore brought the franchise to glory are the only ones who bought the newer ones: cause they had hoped the new releases are up to par.

The younger audience who may not have played the earlier releases so nostalgia or hope are no reasons for them to get the new entries. The only reason for them to get an RE game would be that the game itself is actually... what do you call it again Capcom? Ah yes... 'good'.

So, unless you make 'good' RE games again, you will not be able to attract new people to the series Capcom. I'm sorry but you may have to put a little effort into reaching that goal.

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
I'm currently writing an essay on how Futurism has effeted modern design and this statement proves one of my points so perfectly that I'm concerned that Capcom executives can see me right now