Capcom Says It's Done With On-Disc DLC

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Covarr said:
Read this VERY carefully; they're not listening to consumers. They're only pretending to. They aren't really addressing the core of the complaints about Street Fighter X Tekken's DLC, namely that it was completed in time to ship with the game and was only DLC for the sake of a quick money grab.
Well as far as im aware, as long as Capcom can keep any DLC made during the main development period under wraps, then release it a reasonable time after the games release, then nobody is really at rights to complain.

Besides, the delivery was what seemed to piss off alot of people, and they do seem to be adressing that.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Yeah, they're done with on disc DLC, instead you'll have to download all of the day-one DLC.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
natster43 said:
I want to say this is good, but it being Capcom, they will find some way to fuck it up and piss me off with it.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Its hard to have faith in Capcom these days :(

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Ne1butme said:
This reminds me of a story i heard in my computer ethics class. Back in the time of mainframes (60s/70s), a computer company (whose name eludes me) would sell two different varieties of their computer. They had the basic model and the premium model. As expected, the premium version was much more expensive.

There was no hardware or software difference between the two models. To switch between them, an authorized tech just had to turn a key in the machine. The key unlocked additional ram and sped up the processor.

If a company had the basic version, and wanted to upgrade, the tech would be sent over and the key is turned and the customer has a more powerful machine immediately.

An argument could be made that the customer was buying a hobbled inferior machine, but the computer company argued that customer buys the quality of the machine they require and it's up to the manufacturer to find the best way to provide upgrade services. And if shipping the full premier rig and then limiting it was the best way, they could do it.
That kinda sums up the biggest problem with capitalism in a nutshell doesn't it? Rather than sell the best product they can for a reasonable profit margin, they intentionally hamper it and provide an inferior service, for the exact same cost to them. I'm not saying we should all swap to communism, but that is pretty damned ridiculous.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
not making an English release of Ace Attorney Investigations 2
This. Thats what I said in my previous post. They hate you if you play anything outside of fighters and zombies.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
John Funk" post="7.375215.14558701 said:
snip/quote]
John, I love you, but the title is just plain misleading. He never said anything close to that, he just made vague comments about how they were listening to feedback and "re-evaluating" how they did day one DLC.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
JenSeven said:
Yeah, they're done with on disc DLC, instead you'll have to download all of the day-one DLC.
Sadly you're right.

Off topic: Where is your avatar from?

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
RaikuFA said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
not making an English release of Ace Attorney Investigations 2
This. Thats what I said in my previous post. They hate you if you play anything outside of fighters and zombies.
That's Capcom's main problem though. They basically exist only on Monster Hunter and Resident Evil. Hence why they are insane enough to actually put 600 people on making Resident Evil 6. If they don't pull any crap with Dragon's Dogma I might take a look at it so they might have something else rather than just those 2 games.

Apr 5, 2008
In general, most gamers don't mind the idea of DLC - it's content you can experience after you've finished everything else, and it's a way for the developer to keep making money off their product. Day-one DLC is slightly more controversial but still accepted, because it's usually developed after work on the "main" game has started to wind up. But for many gamers, DLC that's already on the shipped disc is unforgivable. It was completed! It's right there on the disc!
Interesting article, and a big Hallelujah that Capcom have "seen the light" although their actions with on-disc DLC are still repuslsive. The author is wrong about one thing however...Day-One DLC still being accepted...it isn't. Day 1 DLC is just as bad as on-disc DLC and has no place next to actual DLC created after a game's development, let alone expansion packs that I wish would return.

Day 1 DLC is created along side the game, any developer that claims otherwise is outright lying. Stop spending developer time on nickel-and-diming us and make a better f***ing game. Corporations have taken over the games industry with churned-out console garbage being their bread-winner and Day 1 DLC being an unethical and unwanted addition to already vile business practices. Please bring back expansion packs, difficulty, depth, complexity, immersion and treat your customers with a little more respect. Cheers.

Kerboom

May 3, 2012
Hey guys,

We've been getting several questions, here and elsewhere about the future of on-disc DLC.
We would like to assure you that we have been listening to your comments and as such have begun the process of re-evaluating how such additional game content is delivered in the future. As this process has only just commenced in the past month or so, there will be some titles, where development began some time ago and that are scheduled for release in the coming months, for which we are unable to make changes to the way some of their post release content is delivered.

One such title is Dragon?s Dogma, where the decision to include some additional (but not all planned additional) game content for the game on disc was made at the beginning of the game?s development cycle as at the time this was determined to be the most efficient way of ensuring certain content was made available. Owners of Dragon?s Dogma will be able to further their gameplay experience with the release of additional quests, weapons and other items in the months following the game going on sale.

Dragon?s Dogma?s post-launch content will extend the lifespan of a title that already offers around 30-40 hours of gameplay by following the main story thread, but if a player was to complete all the side quests Dragon?s Dogma ships with, that increases to around 100 hours. Players will also be able to add to the stock of 100s of weapons and 1,000s of customization options to create not only their ideally equipped, but also their most elaborately designed character.

Just wanted people to know in advance the whys, wherefores and where we're going in the future. You are being heard. Thanks.
Where EXACTLY does this say that they're "done" with On-Disc DLC?

No, really, someone point it out to me, because as far as I can tell, it doesn't say this. It says they will "re-evaluate" how content is delivered, but I wish the Escapist news writers would just stop making these bullshit titles that are a twisted version of the truth full of assumptions and ridiculousness.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Covarr said:
John Funk said:
But for many gamers, DLC that's already on the shipped disc is unforgivable. It was completed! It's right there on the disc! So why can't I play it?
Relevant part bolded.
John Funk said:
Capcom USA senior VP Chris Svensson said that the publisher would be "re-evaluating how [DLC] is delivered in the future."
Relevant part bolded.

Read this VERY carefully; they're not listening to consumers. They're only pretending to. They aren't really addressing the core of the complaints about Street Fighter X Tekken's DLC, namely that it was completed in time to ship with the game and was only DLC for the sake of a quick money grab. Rather, they are addressing the issue of delivery method. So we'll see just as much day-1 DLC from them, even content that was ready in time to be included and could've been part of the main game. People weren't mad that it was on the disc, they were mad that it should've been included and unlocked from the start.

The only impact this'll have is that our discs will be less full, and we'll use more bandwidth to download the DLC. It'll still be planned and made well in advance like it already is.

P.S. Thanks
Its good to see some of you are paying attention! Ya they don't listen to anyone but the accountants in the back room. The only change in delivery we can expect is for them to actually use DLC by its description. Fine we won't put it on the disk, you'll have to download it. But they'll still rip ya off with alot of DLC, and probably within 48 hours of release.