Capcom Says It's Done With On-Disc DLC

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Didn't Capcom also say that SF4 wouldn't have a bunch of "Super edition" remakes? We know how that turned out. Vanilla 4 got no support, Super 4 came out and they said it was the final version, then Super 4 Arcade Edition came out. AE 2012 was a free balance patch, but you had to be up to AE in the first place.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I didn't even know about this scandal until reading the article, but I'm not exactly convinced. As many have pointed out, what they've said still leaves room for day-one downloadable content. Which is missing the point.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
yeah yeah I'm sure you are Capcom(sarcasm)
I bet all you're going to do is try to cover tracks better and not leave entire characters on disc you're still going to release 4 types of the same game.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
RaikuFA said:
JenSeven said:
Yeah, they're done with on disc DLC, instead you'll have to download all of the day-one DLC.
Sadly you're right.

Off topic: Where is your avatar from?
A series called Hyper Police. (the manga is better but yeah...)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I get the probably wrong but still strong impression that companies make us fight hard for the slightest responses in order to make them seem more important than they really are.

One day there will be companies that don't make you fight for bullshit, and the corporates will find out how lonely it is when nobody cares about them anymore.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Call me old-fashioned, but I preferred the days when a game was finished and over in one piece and that was it. Sequels notwithstanding, of course.

Relying on people's internet connections is an ugly example of fairly proximity based design. American and Japanese game designers are both guilty of assuming that everyone has speedy internet connections. Especially when a patch or DLC is forcibly required to play your game if your console or PC is connected to the internet.

I live in Australia. That kind of design policy is not good for nations not designed from the bottom up with cable internet connections. And it's not just us - America and Japan are among the speedier nations for internet, and that they design in this way purely for themselves and the few places that are even faster is frankly self-destructive.

The world isn't ready for DLC to become as big as it is, and the way it's being pushed forwards all the time in the industry just smacks of foolish 50's science fiction thinking. Moore's Law may apply to all kinds of technologies and networking in America, but not everyone is so lucky and if the industry wants to profit on a truly international scale, not just supranational (i.e. one is only many nations, not close to all of them), it needs to be aware that there are countries where the internet is still in its dial up stages. Not even joking (they use cell phones introduced by pioneering IT companies to get some internet functions going, but lack the real hard infrastructure). These places buy games much the same, because in the end other than the internet, game consoles only really require electricity. Gaming is very likely covering ground not covered by the internet.

How does this all fit in with On-Disc DLC? Simple really, if it can be unlocked using a code, then it's good and in fact better in all of these countries lacking real internet power. If it cannot, it's just as bad as all the rest of the services that very arbitrarily require an internet connection due to lazy design and to fill in for bad planning practices. The end result: less profit for these companies (against what they may believe) and less convenience for all gamers, especially those who already live in inconvenient places.

Arkitext

Mar 25, 2008
This game went from being a cool trip down nostalgia street to a flat out worst purchase of all time. The catalyst was finding out there was nothing to unlock in the game through regular play. So I played it like 3 times to do the Arcade, and an evening 2player with a friend and then it was done for me. £40 down the drain. And to make matters even worse, I actually bought Super Street Fighter IV but took it back and traded it for SFxT before I got it home, after I convinced myself £10 more was worth it for playing the Tekken characters with a fellow long-time Tekken fan of mine.

I don't play Tekken hardcore, or online like some people, I've just been a casual fan since the first game. Coming back to the series to be greeted by this kind of nonsense is totally destructive for the "brand" (a horrible word for a game series that companies love to throw around nowadays and a clear sign of how money focused some sectors of the the industries become) as I'll not likely be purchasing another Tekken nor SF game before I find out about the DLC content. That is if I even consider buying one at all after this. It seems like a waste of money to buy these games early in their release cycle. I might aswell wait for either the Gold version, or just until it's been out long enough that it's 1/2 or 1/4 price and actually a fair price for the amount of content.

So this move is totally the right one by Capcom, and hopefully a lesson learnt for the industry as a whole.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
For their good, I hope they have learned a lesson. Doubt it, but I can still hope.
However, the damage is done. I didn't bought UMvC3 and SFxT because I knew Capcom would release a special version down the line. They will have to seriously outdone themselves for me (and people like me) to buy another one of their fighting games.
Brad Shepard said:
Can bioware follow suit? People seem to forget Javik was already on the disk.
He was there as character in the game, but not a playable character. The 12 characters in SFxT were completed and usable.