Capcom Says It's Done With On-Disc DLC

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Acrisius said:
Antari said:
Covarr said:
John Funk said:
But for many gamers, DLC that's already on the shipped disc is unforgivable. It was completed! It's right there on the disc! So why can't I play it?
Relevant part bolded.
John Funk said:
Capcom USA senior VP Chris Svensson said that the publisher would be "re-evaluating how [DLC] is delivered in the future."
Relevant part bolded.

Read this VERY carefully; they're not listening to consumers. They're only pretending to. They aren't really addressing the core of the complaints about Street Fighter X Tekken's DLC, namely that it was completed in time to ship with the game and was only DLC for the sake of a quick money grab. Rather, they are addressing the issue of delivery method. So we'll see just as much day-1 DLC from them, even content that was ready in time to be included and could've been part of the main game. People weren't mad that it was on the disc, they were mad that it should've been included and unlocked from the start.

The only impact this'll have is that our discs will be less full, and we'll use more bandwidth to download the DLC. It'll still be planned and made well in advance like it already is.

P.S. Thanks
Its good to see some of you are paying attention! Ya they don't listen to anyone but the accountants in the back room. The only change in delivery we can expect is for them to actually use DLC by its description. Fine we won't put it on the disk, you'll have to download it. But they'll still rip ya off with alot of DLC, and probably within 48 hours of release.
Exactly why I think ANY form of day-1 DLC is bullshit.
I take it one step further. ALL DLC is crap. If you couldn't find the budget or effort to put that idea in the game from the onset. Then I don't even want to look at the rest of the game, because I know it'll be a barely playable load of crap thats not even remotely entertaining because half the ideas behind it have been removed.

Saltarius

Aug 30, 2011
RaikuFA said:
3. They supported SOPA and weren't ashamed of it.
Hey Capcom, if SOPA got passed, who'd stream those nifty fighting game torunaments of yours?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Acrisius said:
Antari said:
Acrisius said:
Antari said:
Covarr said:
John Funk said:
But for many gamers, DLC that's already on the shipped disc is unforgivable. It was completed! It's right there on the disc! So why can't I play it?
Relevant part bolded.
John Funk said:
Capcom USA senior VP Chris Svensson said that the publisher would be "re-evaluating how [DLC] is delivered in the future."
Relevant part bolded.

Read this VERY carefully; they're not listening to consumers. They're only pretending to. They aren't really addressing the core of the complaints about Street Fighter X Tekken's DLC, namely that it was completed in time to ship with the game and was only DLC for the sake of a quick money grab. Rather, they are addressing the issue of delivery method. So we'll see just as much day-1 DLC from them, even content that was ready in time to be included and could've been part of the main game. People weren't mad that it was on the disc, they were mad that it should've been included and unlocked from the start.

The only impact this'll have is that our discs will be less full, and we'll use more bandwidth to download the DLC. It'll still be planned and made well in advance like it already is.

P.S. Thanks
Its good to see some of you are paying attention! Ya they don't listen to anyone but the accountants in the back room. The only change in delivery we can expect is for them to actually use DLC by its description. Fine we won't put it on the disk, you'll have to download it. But they'll still rip ya off with alot of DLC, and probably within 48 hours of release.
Exactly why I think ANY form of day-1 DLC is bullshit.
I take it one step further. ALL DLC is crap. If you couldn't find the budget or effort to put that idea in the game from the onset. Then I don't even want to look at the rest of the game, because I know it'll be a barely playable load of crap thats not even remotely entertaining because half the ideas behind it have been removed.
I definitely see your point, but I think you're taking it a bit too far. There's nothing wrong in itself with developing more content to a popular game after release, if the original product was complete and finished already. You can't be in development forever, at some point you have to set a deadline and just finish it.

But what I really want to see instead of DLC is the good old fashioned expansions. To me, those are a proper way of expanding and adding to a game that fans clearly want to see more of. DLC is so easy to abuse.
Very true, I too long for the return of expansions as they usually covered material outside of the base story in a game. Most DLC is just follow on greed inspired crap.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Yes, I'm sure removing DLC from the disc and replacing it online will convince people it's better somehow. Hell, it works for EA and Ubisoft.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Antari said:
That's harsh. And you're essentially saying that you'll never play another game EVER because there is not a title that hasn't had content cut or removed due to time, financial or technical restraints.

Properly done DLC can be a boon as it's the same as little expansion packs spaced out. The problem is a number of companies just see it as an easy cash in and treat it as such.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
LordLundar said:
Antari said:
That's harsh. And you're essentially saying that you'll never play another game EVER because there is not a title that hasn't had content cut or removed due to time, financial or technical restraints.

Properly done DLC can be a boon as it's the same as little expansion packs spaced out. The problem is a number of companies just see it as an easy cash in and treat it as such.
Ya its harsh, but it doesn't mean I stop gaming. I just don't pay any attention to anything made these days. There are plenty of old games that are and will be playable until the day I die even without internet. I do not need these useless offerings being pawned off as software today. I would probably support dlc if companies didn't exploit it as an easy cash cow. But they don't. The ruthlessly exploit it. I treat DLC with the same care from my own point of view. I'll never go easy on it.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
In other words 'please buy our games coming up'.

I guess I'll wait until Resident Evil 6 has been out a couple of months before I buy it, I'm not going to trust these guys any more than I trust EA.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Fighters have lost their appeal. Especially these fighters geared more towards fan-jerk-off-ness.

I mean aren't cross-overs meant to offer players their favorite characters? If that's the case what happened to the awesome 40+ character rosters of yester-year. Sure some of the fighters were just copy-paste skin edits, but at least there was virtually a character for every fanboi included.

Now I feel like I get a 10 character roster, and sure the characters all feel different, but I've got essentially 10 play throughs to go through, and 10 matches before I'm bored playing local Vs.

Marvel Vs Capcom 3 really sealed the coffin for me, I'm glad this game tanked.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Mygaffer said:
It is really just day one DLC which is a rip off. Nine times out of ten it is stuff they have cut off from the main game so they can squeeze extra money out of the people who buy games near launch. Naked cash grab.

Look at Skyrim. Was there any day one DLC? Nope. The first DLC is coming out soon, many several months after the game launched. Those guys are making legitimate extra content that was never going to be included with the game at launch.
Or maybe they did and they're just waiting a while to release it so they don't piss people off like Bioware did, (I don't really believe that by the way, I'm just trying to keep an open mind).

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
so they wont be putting it on the disc but its still content they are cutting from the finished game to resell

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
That was just one issue. I know I vowed to never buy another of their fighting games. Releasing incompatible updates nine months after the original just kills my interest.

Though this is good news. I had become iffy on buying Capcom games in general (Okamiden was the last one I bought), but this gives me some hope.

MagmaMan

Apr 2, 2012
Now if only so many people hadn't bought the day 1 Mass Effect 3 dlc. Maybe we'd stop getting that as well.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
so they wont be putting it on the disc but its still content they are cutting from the finished game to resell

You forgot one:

P.S. Thanks

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
I actually don't have much of a problem with on-disc dlc anymore, but this is probably a good move by Capcom as the whole concept of on-disc dlc does make people slightly uncomfortable.

If Capcom really are being bastards and removing content from their games to resell as dlc, well, this won't stop them from doing that. We'll just receive it as a full download now instead.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Who wants to bet their solution is just going to be take what would have been "on-disc-DLC" - as in it is ready when the disc is going to print - and simply hold it in their download farms. Then when it is needed for online with characters they have bought then they have to download it as a compatibility patch.

It's actually a pretty good excuse that for a multiplayer game every player needs the characters to play with the ones who did buy them, it's not like premium maps where players simply cannot join games in maps they haven't bought.

Maybe they just need to sell it differently not as "downloadable" "content" but as a Virtual Item. It is well established that actual textures and attributes of a virtual item exist in the game code, the "content" is already there but the Rules-Of-The game are that you have to earn their actual use either by challenges... or just paying cold hard cash!

That's the problem with on disk DLC: It lies.

And central to that lie is the dishonestly of this content only being available by forking over cash, that is justified by it pretending to be a mini expansion pack but it isn't, it is not Half Life Opposing Force. See in all the many free-to-play models out there which sell virtual items, it is justified because you do not HAVE to buy them. You can get them by either playing very well or just for a long time and trading smartly.

I think it's inevitably going to go in the direction of Virtual Goods you can earn by play or pay to get them now.

See, they cannot be DLC, as everyone has to have these assets, like virtual goods. And you can't make them ONLY available by purchase as you are gouging them for content they have already downloaded, you have to make it out that they can earn it in their slow due time... or pay to unlock it now.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
I'm sick and tired of Capcom, like many I don't believe them and will continue my boycott of their games other than Dead Rising until they've had a good year under their belt.