Capcom Thinks It can Sell 10 Million Copies of Dragon's Dogma

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Capcom Thinks It can Sell 10 Million Copies of Dragon's Dogma

Capcom reckons Dragon's Dogma will be popular - like "10 million sales" popular.

"I don't know if other Japanese developers are trying to become more global, but I know we definitely are," producer, Hideaki Itsuno, told Videogamer.

"It's difficult, because we really want this game to sell 10 million units worldwide. We want to sell a lot, and that's just something that we think we can do. We're not positive [it will be a success]. Of course it's a risk, but that's what we want - a challenge."

Considering Dragon's Dogma is a new IP and Capcom are contended with all kinds of PR woes at the moment, ten million sales seems a bit optimistic. Itsuno reckons at least one million of those sales will take place in Japan.

"But in Japan, we can absolutely sell a million units. We know that's attainable, it's absolutely do-able. We have a kind of assurance that that will happen, but for worldwide that's not so much the case, and I think that's why a lot of Japanese developers are hesitant about going global. It's because they don't have that assurance that it'll be successful."

To put that number in perspective: Similar open-world RPG, Skyrim, which was the first western game to receive a perfect score from picky gaming mag, Famitsu, has clocked up less than half a million sales since it was released last December.

Dragon's Dogma is being developed by Capcom's largest ever development team, helmed by Devil Mary Cry 4 producer, Hiroyuki Kobayashi, and director, Hideaki Itsuno. It's due for release on the 25th of May for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Source: Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/dragons_dogma/news/a_million_sales_pretty_much_guaranteed_for_dragons_dogma_in_japan.html]

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
You know, when the first instinct of the guy with a Nicholas Cage avatar is to say, "are you guys nuts?" you know you've gone 'round the bend.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
freaking morons.

and "not enough sales" is their justification for not localizing monster hunter...

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
Ahh yes, refuse to bring Monster Hunter over to promote this with their over optimistic expectations, just one more reason to love Capcom.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Um actually it's Capcom's second largest dev team ever. They one upped themselves with the dev team for Resident Evil 6 by having 600 people work on that. Also considering Capcom has been spinning a PR nightmare like no other to the point where so many people are boycotting them they have a LOT of work to do.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
I'd get it, but right now I'm having my wallet tied down by buying all the PC parts for my new computer. And I've been quite fond of playing on the PC lately, so hopefully in the future it will get a port.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If it comes to the pc then Ill get it, the vids I've seen of it look pretty awesome but I don't play my 360 anymore.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
10 million copies?

Are you just sure that isn't another typo, Capcom?
It probably was and they'd meant to say 100 million copies.

Poor poor Capcom....

Dec 14, 2009
anthony87 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
10 million copies?

Are you just sure that isn't another typo, Capcom?
It probably was and they'd meant to say 100 million copies.

Poor poor Capcom....
They meant to say eleventy million copies.

Fuck numerical conventions.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
LMAO

short answer: NO

longer answer: with every thing you idiots have done to piss off your fans, what makes you think you'll get any where NEAR that number

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
80Maxwell08 said:
Um actually it's Capcom's second largest dev team ever. They one upped themselves with the dev team for Resident Evil 6 by having 600 people work on that. Also considering Capcom has been spinning a PR nightmare like no other to the point where so many people are boycotting them they have a LOT of work to do.
Okay, I actually missed this. What's their latest PR disaster?