Captain America: The Winter Soldier Releases First Official Trailer

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I love the first movie so I expect to see this one, but after noticing how different it is just from what I can see in the trailer I am forced to keep from getting too excited and just stand by cautiously optimistic.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
tdylan said:
Looks good. I'm hoping they don't drop the ball on Winter Soldier the way it was, in my opinion, dropped with Bane in Rises. I liked him up until the 3rd act reveal.

Falcon looks cool. Glad to see more African heroes being utilized, being of African decent myself. Decent halloween costumes have been difficult to come by.

Edit: First thoughts about Winter Soldier as a villain (not being terribly familiar with Cap's rogues gallery):

What if Winter Soldier wasn't Cap's long lost friend, now brainwashed but instead Cap's long lost friend that has replaced his ideals with a cold, cynical, "realism?" He "sees the world the way it really is," and is doing what must be done "for the greater good."
Not unlike Magneto's relationship to Xavier. Both believe that their way is the right way. Captain America is "freedom. choice. liberty." Winter Soldier is "rule with an iron fist."
Its kind of heard to fight for a greater good when you're essentially the tool of a bunch of Russian gangsters (which looks like the way they're going with this). That sounds like an interesting movie, but personlly, I think the idea of the Winter Soldier's exploitation mirroring how Steve feels that SHIELD is just using him as a tool would be interesting too.

As for the trailer, looks awesome. I loved the first Captain America, and I'm pretty sure this one will be great too.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
WaysideMaze said:
The Gentleman said:
Where is Frank Castle being imprisoned, anyways?
As far as I know they actually have the rights to The Punisher back, but I think that awful war zone film that was released was by them (under the Marvel Knights banner). I'd love to see them have a proper attempt though!
Warzone wan't that bad, but it's probably best to have another reboot for this universe (this would be his fifth, I think?)

Mar 26, 2008
The Gentleman said:
WaysideMaze said:
The Gentleman said:
As far as I know they actually have the rights to The Punisher back, but I think that awful war zone film that was released was by them (under the Marvel Knights banner). I'd love to see them have a proper attempt though!
Warzone wan't that bad, but it's probably best to have another reboot for this universe (this would be his fifth, I think?)
The problem has always been the choice of actor, not the source material. The comic book Frank Castle is a very subtly layered character and so far the actors who have portrayed him only really seem to nail one aspect. Off the top of my head I can't think of an actor who'd be the right fit, but I'm sure there is one.

In regard to the new Cap America movie, I think this looks really good. Cap seems really torn between the values he holds dear and the world that he's kind of been injected into. They didn't really get a chance to explore that in the first movie because of origin story, etc.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It looks freakin' awesome. I have to admit, I liked Captain America the most out of all Marvel Avenger universe movies so far, despite him being the most boring character. And my favorite girl Scarlett is in this one.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
Looks good I'm defiantly gonna watch it.

There's a little bit of the John Walker/US Agent storyline in here it seems. Not exactly the same, but a "disenfranchised Captain America" storyline is really where Cap is at his best.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
The Gentleman said:
WaysideMaze said:
The Gentleman said:
Would The Punisher really fit in the Marvel Cinematic universe as it exists now? Its very colourful and light in tone, and Punishers....the opposite of that.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I can't help but think that Chris Evans is the second best cast actor in these movies (with Robert Downey Jr as the best cast) as I can't really picture anyone else playing Cap. He really seems to have clicked with the character and I believe him as Steve Rogers even in this trailer. So, I'm more than happy to return to this series.

All in all, not much I can say. Most of it seems out of context and I'm not sure what to think of it. I'm guessing cyborg ninja is Winter Soldier. I'm hoping we see more of him than the trailer seems to imply. From what I know of him, he and Captain America are almost perfect foils (among other things), so they could be a great conflict if done right.

I'm sure I'll see this at some point. Either on DVD or in the theater. Depends on if I have some friends to go with.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Ooooh...I like this. This looks like it could be fun AND smart. Looking forward to this.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
The Winter Soldier has... the Winter Soldier? I think I'd rather spend 90 minutes watching him fight Batroc.
Are you actually familiar with who the Winter Soldier is? And if you are, did you actually read Brubakers run on Captain America? Easily some of the best story telling Marvel's had in the last two decades.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Toadfish1 said:
Would The Punisher really fit in the Marvel Cinematic universe as it exists now? Its very colourful and light in tone, and Punishers....the opposite of that.
Well, considering pretty much every other Avenger has a higher body count than him except maybe the Hulk, I'm inclined to agree. He's a tad too reflective for this universe.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Been waiting for this announcement since forever. Can't wait for Steve and Bucky to get back together or something like it, and Natasha and Sam.... oh, characters. Whedon did say this one would be most like The Avengers, so my hype is even more than what it was.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
The Good:
Almost everything.

The Not-As-Good:
I miss the red in Falcon's costume. Maybe for Avengers 2 or later in the movie when Cap needs help?

In essence, I'm hyped.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
This looks like more of a spy-thriller ala James Bond than a typical action movie, which is awesome! As cool as the Iron Man movies have been and as much as I've liked all the other movies, they need to be more than just pure action.

Note: It's clearly still an action movie, but so long as they subdue the whole "super power" thing it works as more than pure action. Captain isn't even supposed to be super powered, just the peak of what a human can be.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Looks promising. I have to say, though, I'm hoping for a slightly less contrived reason for the Winter Soldier's appearance than
"you got thawed out of a block of ice, too? Small world."

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
100% stoked.
I liked the first one, but when he was in the Avengers...he really didn't DO anything. That disappointed me.