Captain Planet

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
.... Captain Planet?

CAPTAIN PLANETTTTTTTTTTTTT

But seriously, why keep bringing back 20 year old cartoon characters? I used to watch ol' Planet quite a lot when I was a young'un but nowadays I just don't think people would get it.

theklng

May 1, 2008
Cody211282 said:
Oh god it is going to suck, the average villain in that show just stole an oil tanker beached it, used the oil to cover baby seals then caught them on fire.

IT MADE NO SENSE!
this is exactly why it's going to be the most awesome thing ever.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Planet#Captain_Planet

Actually Captain Planet was from the early 1990s, had a sequel series apparently, and is still in syndication. As such I'd imagine more kids are aware of it than some people might think.

Otherwise I also think it's a bad idea simply because I've always felt the show itself was never a GOOD idea. I also think that this show has a lot to do with the attitudes of a lot of thos who grew up in the 1990s and are currently adults. I see young, ignorant, liberals as being one of the problems with society today.

I'm not saying liberals have to be ignorant, or that conservatives can't be, however consider that shows like "Captain Planet" present a very one sided and magical view of enviromentalism. Guys basically out to despoil the enviroment, and while doing so for profit might be mentioned it doesn't cover issues like why people can make money this way. Nor does it deal with issues like third world goverments who don't want to comply with international regulations, and groups like the UN who instead of acting like the global police force they are supposed to be, actually encourage things like this in the name of national independance.

Nor does it cover simple issues like, if you don't cut down trees somewhere, you can't have wood, without wood you can't make a lot of things that we used day to day. Even with perfect recyclying the demand is still going to be ridiculously high due to the constant increase in humanity's population (which is incidently one of the biggest problems facing us today, and at the root of a lot of what is going wrong).

Not to mention the fact that the downside of tolerance, understanding, and building people around the world up, is that as their demands for better lives increase, so does their demand for resources which puts a strain on the planet. A third world nation becomes a second world nation, puts more cars on the road which means more gas, and more demand for things like wood as the people want to build better homes.

It's an old joke that done correctly Captain Planet would actually be sort of an enforcer of the status quo, doing things like acting to keep China and various thirld world countries down so they wouldn't continue to gradually increase more and more resources. That wouldn't be politically correct, but it would be kind of funny if Captain Planet was running around blitzing developing infrastructures. :p

The point here being that things are more complicated than some dude building a massive cybertank and deciding to wipe out a rain forest for fun. Especially when you consider that enviromentally speaking the real enemies of the rain forest might be the native people living there who want to see it cut down for money, which might very well be spent on guns to fight wars with their neighbors, or to build up a drug production infrastructure. :p

I honestly don't care about "Hippy Enviromental Messages" to be honest as long as they are conveyed with a bit of common sense. Largely because like any problem this comes down to people with varying perspectives, none of whom are nessicarly wrong. For example there is nothing wrong with people in the third world wanting to better themselves on a fundemental level. However as sad as it is, that can be very bad for everyone else. There is no real absolute right and wrong here. Is it right to prevent people from deciding what people can do with their own land? By the same token is it right to let them do so when the enviromental damage being inflicted by a realtively small group of people for their betterment can affect everyone else? It's not an easy question, and arguably among the biggest ones. Hence why most enviromentalists attack nations like the US despite the fact that I feel it's not the "big countries" that are the problem. Even when acting abroad it's usually done more or less at the request of the countries being "despoiled" because they want the jobs being provided if nothing else, and if an embargo was actually put in place people would be screaming just as loudly it was a conspiricy to keep them down.

Enough rambling, the bottom line is I can't see this being turned into even a tolerable movie.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
This is going to be really retarded especially since the fan base is so low

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Therumancer said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Planet#Captain_Planet

Actually Captain Planet was from the early 1990s, had a sequel series apparently, and is still in syndication. As such I'd imagine more kids are aware of it than some people might think.

Otherwise I also think it's a bad idea simply because I've always felt the show itself was never a GOOD idea. I also think that this show has a lot to do with the attitudes of a lot of thos who grew up in the 1990s and are currently adults. I see young, ignorant, liberals as being one of the problems with society today.

I'm not saying liberals have to be ignorant, or that conservatives can't be, however consider that shows like "Captain Planet" present a very one sided and magical view of enviromentalism. Guys basically out to despoil the enviroment, and while doing so for profit might be mentioned it doesn't cover issues like why people can make money this way. Nor does it deal with issues like third world goverments who don't want to comply with international regulations, and groups like the UN who instead of acting like the global police force they are supposed to be, actually encourage things like this in the name of national independance.

Nor does it cover simple issues like, if you don't cut down trees somewhere, you can't have wood, without wood you can't make a lot of things that we used day to day. Even with perfect recyclying the demand is still going to be ridiculously high due to the constant increase in humanity's population (which is incidently one of the biggest problems facing us today, and at the root of a lot of what is going wrong).

Not to mention the fact that the downside of tolerance, understanding, and building people around the world up, is that as their demands for better lives increase, so does their demand for resources which puts a strain on the planet. A third world nation becomes a second world nation, puts more cars on the road which means more gas, and more demand for things like wood as the people want to build better homes.

It's an old joke that done correctly Captain Planet would actually be sort of an enforcer of the status quo, doing things like acting to keep China and various thirld world countries down so they wouldn't continue to gradually increase more and more resources. That wouldn't be politically correct, but it would be kind of funny if Captain Planet was running around blitzing developing infrastructures. :p

The point here being that things are more complicated than some dude building a massive cybertank and deciding to wipe out a rain forest for fun. Especially when you consider that enviromentally speaking the real enemies of the rain forest might be the native people living there who want to see it cut down for money, which might very well be spent on guns to fight wars with their neighbors, or to build up a drug production infrastructure. :p

I honestly don't care about "Hippy Enviromental Messages" to be honest as long as they are conveyed with a bit of common sense. Largely because like any problem this comes down to people with varying perspectives, none of whom are nessicarly wrong. For example there is nothing wrong with people in the third world wanting to better themselves on a fundemental level. However as sad as it is, that can be very bad for everyone else. There is no real absolute right and wrong here. Is it right to prevent people from deciding what people can do with their own land? By the same token is it right to let them do so when the enviromental damage being inflicted by a realtively small group of people for their betterment can affect everyone else? It's not an easy question, and arguably among the biggest ones. Hence why most enviromentalists attack nations like the US despite the fact that I feel it's not the "big countries" that are the problem. Even when acting abroad it's usually done more or less at the request of the countries being "despoiled" because they want the jobs being provided if nothing else, and if an embargo was actually put in place people would be screaming just as loudly it was a conspiricy to keep them down.

Enough rambling, the bottom line is I can't see this being turned into even a tolerable movie.
Well said.

Silent Eagle

Mar 11, 2010
I didnt know that Marvel had Captain Planet as well.
*wikipediaing "Marvel"* What else do they have? 2011 is going to suck..

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
No i have not but i dont know it's going to do well outside of environmental nut-jobs and Ted Turner watching it.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MrPokeylope said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
oppp7 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
oppp7 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
oppp7 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
*ahem*

All right guys, let's do this!

EARTH!
BrynThomas said:
FIRE!

Edit: I think it's a good marketing idea, nostalgia sells.
HEART!

OT:Feh. Never liked Captain Planet but it'll still be fun to watch Hollywood ruin it.
Like you just ruined out summoning, eh? It's earth, fire, wind, water, heart.
Well maybe I'm tired of being the loser of the group, always going last in everything and getting no respect! Whenever I tell people I'm part of Captain Planet they say "Oh cool! Does that mean you can shoot fireballs or summon tsunamis?" And I'm like "No, I have the power of heart." And they say "Wow, that's gay. What does that even mean? What could a heart do?" And I can't respond because I DON'T EVEN KNOW! What the hell does a heart do to stop environmental problems?

I'm tired of all this BS. I quit. Here's your f^%^ing ring back...
It's not useless, you're the final part of the summoning! Your the one that everyone will remember, as you are the last to speak!

YOU CAN TALK TO MONKEYS!

You can influence people. Go into politics!
You know, I think I will.
*Becomes a dictator in a 3rd world country and starts ruining the environment building military equipment*
*uses power of earth to free oil from the ground*

I'm rich! I'm rich! FUCK YOU, CAPTAIN PLANET!

The people don't wanna save the planet, so why should we bother?
I think you two just figured out the plot...
No, the plot will be this.

"GRRRR! I AM (Insert over the top villian name here) AND I WILL (insert unbielevaly dumb plan here that barely makes sense and will barely get the villian any kind of money/ material goods).

Gaia: TEENAGERS! (Insert over the top Villain name here) IS (insert unbielevaly dumb plan here that barely makes sense and will barely get the villian any kind of money/ material goods). YOU GOT TO STOP THEM EVEN THOUGH I AM A GOD AND CAN DO ANYTHING!

Wheeler: Dur hur, we will do that, while (insert dumb joke/insult here pointed at Ma-Ti).

Ma-Ti: THIS! IS! HEART!

Kwame: Lets us go stop this!

(Insert sequence where they get captured)

Insert over the top villian name here: HAHAHA! THEIR IS NOTHING YOU TEENAGERS CAN DO! YOUR DOOMED!

Kwame: Let our powers combine!

Insert over the top villian name here: OH #$^#! WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO! IT IS NOT LIKE THEY ARE VULERABLE WHILE THEY CALL CAPTAIN PLANET!

Captain Planet: (Insert three bad Earth puns, two enviromental messages, and a sequence where he effortlessly fixes everything).

THE END

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
Matthew Woo said:
Yeah Clive Owen is supposed to play Captain Planet, if I heard right.
Really? I would've thought after that Robot Chicken that Ted Turner would do it for sure. They could make it all gritty and realistic too... Thats what the kids like now-a-days isn't it?

Ikuraut

Aug 26, 2009
GL2814E said:
Matthew Woo said:
Yeah Clive Owen is supposed to play Captain Planet, if I heard right.
Really? I would've thought after that Robot Chicken that Ted Turner would do it for sure. They could make it all gritty and realistic too... Thats what the kids like now-a-days isn't it?
I think thats what they're going for story wise, but they're trying to keep costumes as close to the cartoon as possible. Something about keeping Cap as close to his already marketed look as possible.

They are getting Halle Berry to play Gia, I guess Opera has gotten a bit old and chubby for it.

Ikuraut

Aug 26, 2009
Personally I think it would have been better to do a more adult remake of Pirates of Dark Water.