Cartoon Networks Says "Go Planet" to Live-Action Captain Planet Movie

Barbie Boy

Jul 11, 2009
didn't Ma-ti die fighting Malachite recently?
I guess he only was a angry indian who really hated Ted Turner

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Given that the original show aired about 15-20 years ago and the main audience base is now stoners at least in their 20s, here's hoping we get a full on 90s style edgy remake.

I'm talking rated R, F-bombs, brutal on-screen violence and full frontal nudity. Kinda like if the toxic avenger cartoon got re-made into a movie like the original Toxic Avenger, but about environmentalism instead of just puberty.

loodmoney

Apr 25, 2011
Not sure that the Captain's green square that he wears on his head (some would call it "hair") will translate well into a live-action feature unless they use some serious computer animation magic. Other than that, I'm excited.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Hopefully this will be better than the cartoon was...

Voltano said:
So, if "Captain Planet" is coming back in a live-action movie (which might suck), then does that mean they'll bring back all the characters? Even Ma-ti, who showed up on TGWTG.com frequently...

Who died in their third movie? Man, I didn't think Ma-ti would be revived like this. o.o
Yeah...weird, isn't it?

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
I can't wait to watch new episodes of Ted Turner kicking people in the nuts and screaming "CAPTAIIIIIIIN PLANEEEEEEEEEEEEET!"

Beertaster

Jan 20, 2011
This is yet anouther reason to add to the list of "Why I have lost all faith in cartoon network". I mean ever since Disney's old president (and CEO) died of a heart attack, Things have turned around for them. They got Pixar to stay with them, bought marvel, and have been making quality movies. Hell the last 2 Nickelodeon movies have been amazing as well (Spiderwick and Rango). And what can the CN done? They moved to reality tv (the poisonous cancer that it is).

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Yet another retro cartoon is getting the live action/CGI treatment.

Seriously, what is it with this current trend of reviving old and dated cartoons and converting them into something that will "appeal to the modern audience"? Wasn't the recent Smurfs movie enough? I'm all for looking for ways to help the environment, but I remember finding the original Captain Planet very cheesy and hard to take seriously.

And now thanks to you, I want to watch the Nostalgia Critic's review of the show again.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The show fail from what it was trying to achieve years ago (I pretty sure that it fail due to the fact that there are still tree cutting down, pollution rising etc), what chance to they got this time round for the messages to reach the kids and they will turly going to do something about it? (Or is it Al Gore and all the environmentalists are backing up on it now?)
I guessing for the message to be succesful it going to be really poweful and heavy stuff for the kid minds to handle.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
what the hell is this live action bullshit on my cartoon network?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Moriarty70 said:
Cyberdelic said:
Heart is a power that can only come from within - that and cause heart attacks. Now wouldn't that be some thing?
Ma-ti: Don't worry guys I've got this. HEART (Bad guy grabs his chest and drops dead).
Kwame: Ma-ti, what did you just do? Captain Planet could have arested him.
Ma-ti: But this way his carbon footprint is stompped out!
Wheeler: (Pulls out a gun) Hey guys, he's right. This is a much more eco-friendly way to do our job!

Everyone: GO PLANET!
That was hilarious.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
There's no way a Captain Planet movie would suck right? Maybe Ted Turner should be Captain Planet and go apeshit on everyone like in Robot Chicken.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
AC10 said:
My favorite part about captain planet was the ridiculous things they routinely had to counter. I remember one episode the villians built a pollution machine. It literally just sits there and creates pollution. Why in the hell would anyone waste millions of dollars on something like that?
Capitalistic-corporation's fat owners who want to destroy the world... Ofc, you know they are greedy and evil, and want world domination... By destroying it? Hold on I need to think this for a moment... Ofc. No one because that is stupid plot point in a bad animation series.

They should find vanilla ice from hes hiding hole and cast him in to this role, I think he is just white enough even without makeup.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Man, those kids were SOOO useless! They didn't deserve their super powers, they couldn't even think of good ways to use them. I mean, one guys ring SHOOTS FIRE. How do you get captured, or how is some ugly pig guy a threat?! SHOOT FIRE AT HIM. I wanted Green Lantern to come along and chuckle and then show those kids what a magic ring was all about.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Loonerinoes said:
It'll be funny seeing Milka no longer being 'of the Soviet Union' and I'm willing to bet that they won't figure out a good way to make 'Heart' be a power actually worth a damn without it becoming a form of Mind Control.

Seriously though, if you're gonna pick cartoons to revive from that era, then bring back ExoSquad!!! That show had TWICE more educational value than Captian Planet ever did, from things like racism, oppression, some actual military forethought...its depth was certainly moreso worth exploring with a revivification these days. Heck it could still work, with us exploiting our own resources to the point we'll have to start mining planets of our solar system eventually and which poor sods will we have for *that* shitty job?

If that kind of strife, leading from our own consumption of natural resources and exploitation of minorities, isn't an educational message for the generations to follow, I don't know what is.
I wholeheartedly agree. I liked Captain Planet but I loved Exo-Squad, action, drama, actual military application for sci-fi robot suits, and a real world grit to it.