Catholics, Buddhists Join Hindu Protests Against Smite

qwagor

Mar 18, 2009
Catholics, Buddhists Join Hindu Protests Against Smite?
Trekkies, Whovians join Star Wars fans protest against episodes I-III...

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Worgen said:
Thank you mr. downer face! Now Imma have to go watch some silly videos to make myself feel better again. And that is also blatantly wrong and a gross oversimplification.
Nouw said:
What about Tibetan Buddhists :p?
Revnak said:
After watching Baccano!, I can now turly appreciate your avatar.
Everyone can and should appreciate my avatar. You know, I was just about to change it to something from league of legends as I have become addicted to that game, but now it just wouldn't be right. Thank you for showing me the way individual who is apparently chilly chill.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Why are people getting so angry. If anything this is the least offending case of religious believers trying to stop a piece of media from being made. Fuck, it's usually insipid, narrow minded and racist. While this could also count as narrow minded it doesn't seem that bad.

Revnak said:
I... I feel so odd about this. On one hand, people of different religious beliefs are respecting one another. On another hand, they're trying to force a piece of media to not be made, which I am definitely against. I just don't know whether I should be upset or pleased.
Okay basically what he said. But I get a feeling people are just bashing religion here, although I am more on Hi Rez's side on this.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Revnak said:
Everyone can and should appreciate my avatar. You know, I was just about to change it to something from league of legends as I have become addicted to that game, but now it just wouldn't be right. Thank you for showing me the way individual who is apparently chilly chill.
You must keep the Rail Tracer. While Vino is an amazing character, Firo just takes the hat for me. That green fedora and suit...oh man...

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I just don't get it. This game will feature gods and saints from different religions. Most definetly, they will be shown in rather cool way. People will like the gods and saints, will desire to find out more about them and, in the end, those religions may find some new followers. I know that the very same thing happened to me with metal. Thank you, Brutal Legend for showing me the world of Rock.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Revnak said:
Haha no problem Rail Teeracer ;).

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
felbot said:
oh now i definitely hope they include the abrahamic god and include allah incase the muslims wanna protest too.
Even though I'm not a fan of MOBA games, if they include Jesus, I might actually buy this game when it's released.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
A message to all world religions.

Fuck. Off.

You are free to worship as you see fit, but that does not mean that everyone on the planet has to respect your deity. And let's get one thing straight: If it exists, it's fair game to be used in any medium, regardless of whether or not you personally find it offensive. Because let me tell you something: Not everyone believes the same things you do, and that's okay. If a product out there offends you, there is a very simple answer: DON'T CONSUME IT.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
hazabaza1 said:
I'm glad that Religion can't invoke copyright laws.
If only they'd just admit religion as a work of fiction, then they could copyright it! Problem solved.
hazabaza1 said:
The main offence I'd take if I was religious is that some creepy Kali rule 34 will probably result from this.
Nah, plenty of it already exists, no harm done.

Jun 26, 2009
I'd love these guys to see some SMT stuff, for example YHVH aka the Ambrahamic God.

In SMT he's shown as a vain dictator who created the universe in such a way that it stays forever subjugated under him, Lucifer is actually more smypthatic then him (IMO). He's also the final boss in Shin Megami Tensei 2, after which he punishes the Protagonists by forever torturing him to the point of death only to reincarnate him until the end of time itself.

Also other examples, just pics.

There's also Mara, whom I won't show as they are literally a penis. Or a penis on chariot.

I wonder what people of old religions think of our depictions of Loki, Zeus and the like? As an Atheist to it's just like watching Thor with... Thor and Loki, or Clash of the Titans with Zeus and Hades. I guess I can't really relate.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
At first, I thought they were just whining, but then I realize they had a point. These are their supreme beings, here, and we're making them lesser. Then greater, with a leveling system. But, while their point is valid, we are still discussing mythologies and pantheons of superpowered persons and creatures, which is already well documented to be fair game for game developers. Besides, if it wasn't this, it would be God of War, or Darksiders, or Dante's Inferno, or Asura's Wrath, or Enslaved, or Too Human. There's plenty of space for new gods in gaming, and, if there was something like a tasteful little bio about each one, it could even educate more people about that religion and it's fundamental mythologies.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
I'm really only interested in this video game if they also include Xenu and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. In fact, I would pre-order if that were the case.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Oh come on...

Look, people, nowhere have the Hindus, Catholics, or Jews stated anything along the lines of "I'm going to stop this game being made," or, "I'm going to sue Smite into oblivion." They don't like the game, they've said they don't like the game, they've tried to talk to the developer about the game so that maybe the game could be changed and then they could like it, and (finally) they're encouraging their practitioners not to buy the game. These are all perfectly okay things; the creators of Smite aren't the only ones protected by Freedom of Speech.

This right here?

1337mokro said:
I can say anything I want about it whenever I want to. So please, go cry in the corner silently.
You are a hypocrite. I'm actually kind of amazed at the stunning display of cognitive dissonance that must be at work to allow someone to claim "I can say anything I want" and then in the very next sentence order the other group to be silent.

Beyond that, whether you are legally allowed to say a thing is irrelevant to the question of whether or not saying a thing makes you disrespectful, a jackass, or a disrespectful jackass. For instance, I was pretty hard on 1337mokro right there, and I was kind of a dick about it. I'm allowed to say such things, but I'm still a disrespectful jackass for saying them in the manner that I did, particularly since I singled out 1337mokro even though there are many, many posts I could have chosen (sorry, you lost the random pick) or, better yet, I could have made my point without singling out an individual--I didn't because I think this shows a stronger, clearer position, and I couldn't have made this paragraph's point as well without showing legally acceptable jackassness.

Is Smite disrespectful? Of course it is. This is an idea born out of high school thought experiments ("Shiva would totally murder Odin, man!) and not religious enlightenment. They weren't aiming for respect, they were aiming for the Rule of Cool. Personally, I didn't think them jackasses until COO Todd Harris decided to be snarky in his response to the Hindus.

Should it be made? Of course. Free speech is free.

That being said, no one should be surprised that people being disrespected are upset that they're being disrespected. I mean, come on, don't piss on them and tell them it's rain. Additionally, people coming together and telling a company what they think of the company's product is basically how business works (Mass Effect 3 ending, anyone?)

So let's all take a step back and a deep breath, read some Cracked [http://www.cracked.com/article_15759_10-things-christians-atheists-can-and-must-agree-on.html], and not act like dicks today.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
mindlesspuppet said:
hazabaza1 said:
If only they'd just admit religion as a work of fiction, then they could copyright it! Problem solved.
First of all, you can copyright, say, science, which is not fiction, so being fiction is obviously not a requirement for copyright.

Secondly, everything older than Mickey Mouse is in the public domain, so they couldn't get copyright protection anyway.

Basically, not a single part of your statement is true.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Azuaron said:
mindlesspuppet said:
hazabaza1 said:
First of all, you can copyright, say, science, which is not fiction, so being fiction is obviously not a requirement for copyright.

Secondly, everything older than Mickey Mouse is in the public domain, so they couldn't get copyright protection anyway.

Basically, not a single part of your statement is true.
First of all, by "copyright science" do you mean "patent technology", two entirely different things.

Secondly, it was a joke.

Basically, not a single part of your post was relevant.

Fapmaster5000

May 13, 2011
Azuaron said:
Oh come on...

-snip-

So let's all take a step back and a deep breath, read some Cracked [http://www.cracked.com/article_15759_10-things-christians-atheists-can-and-must-agree-on.html], and not act like dicks today.
I award you an internet cookie.

I'm an atheist or an agnostic, depending on the day, but good lord, people, lay off the hatred. The people in this thread ranting about how much they hate religious people are just as bad as the religious nuts screaming about the people in this thread are going to burn in one of several hells.

Can't we all just take a fricking chill pill, listen to some music, and agree to disagree on this one? (You know, WITHOUT assuming the other side is evil/stupid/lying/etc...)