Catholics, Buddhists Join Hindu Protests Against Smite

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
So I went and looked into this "Reverend" Phil Bryan... if for any reason I was curious as to why he would "chime in" on this topic. After hunting around about this nobody... come to find out he was a member of the Reno Soto Buddhist center... then mystically, he is an "ordained" Reverend of a Jodo school of Buddhism about a year ago.

Now as far as his title "Reverend" is a title he has given to himself.

As the only title that he could possible of had conferred upon him by his teacher would of been that of Shike.

Though no Japanese centers of either Jodo or Soto Zen Buddhism have any record Mr. Bryan having of been (laugh) ordained with a such a title. The title itself (Reverend) simply does not exist in Zen. The closest approximation would be Osho or Roshi, but to claim such titles is a pretty serious offense.

Just to point it out what Dogen (Soto Lineage founder) was getting at...

Step 1 of 3, in becoming a Shike:

The 24 hours of the daily life shared by teacher and student are the content of the transmission, and nothing else [...] In Antaiji, when you receive shiho after, say, eight or nine years, you will have sat for 15,000 hours of zazen with your teacher. Not only that, you also shared many thousands of meals with him, worked together in the fields for thousands of hours, spread manure, cut grass and wood together, side by side, you sweat together in the summer and froze together in the winter. You cooked for him and filled the bath tub for him, you know how he likes the temperature both of his soup and the bathing water. You also shared many drinks, probabaly. In each of these activities, the dharma is transmitted. None should be left out

So he basically has "titled" himself outside of the Dharma, which is fine as Soto has a caveat through a teaching of Dogan... but he does not meet anything close to the qualifications of an officiated title within the Zen tradition other than "student of the hall".

Reverend Phil Bryan is simply NOT qualified, his ordination is a by-product of filing for the status under U.S. tax code for Tax Exemption.

He wants to talk about the shame of developers... joke of day. Let's talk about all the reasons he is not "anything" in the context of the Zen tradition in which he is a self proclaimed "Reverend".

Garbage.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
dragongit said:
Sorry for being ironic, but Jesus Christ! There have been worst depictions of religion in videogames before. I'm actually part Asatru, and I enjoy seeing Odin kicking ass. Seriously, get your religious relic out of your butts and allow us to enjoy games. If they get away with any form of banning of this game, they might be givin leverage to change more. All it takes is an excuse for some groups.
Odin? Hell yeah I love that guy.

He's fucking OP against the reaper in persona 3.

But, wait, isn't playing as a religious figure supposed to decrease your respect for him/her/it, according to these people?

There must be something wrong with me.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
1337mokro said:
erttheking said:
1337mokro said:
AnarchistFish said:
1337mokro said:
But seriously people stop being butthurt over a game. First of all it's not slandering your religion it's just using figures as heroes. Second of all your religion is not protected from slander.

I can say anything I want about it whenever I want to. So please, go cry in the corner silently.
They can say whatever they want about this game whenever they want to. Go cry in your bedroom, hypocrite.

Fucking hate this site sometimes for the self righteous and stuck up users that infest it.
Either that was a sarcasm post or you are a complete moron. You call me a hypocrite because I say someone should go cry in the corner. Then say I should do the same because I don't allow them to say whatever they want?

Guess what I never said they shouldn't be allowed to say anything. What I said was that whilst they have the right to say anything their words carry no weight.

I can see how you hate this site seeing as people like yourself are all over it :).

Thanks for commenting Mr. Moron.
He called you a hypocrite for calling people butthurt over it, and then saying that you can say whatever you want about their religion. So in other words you said that you can say whatever you want about their religion, but they should shut up and stop complaining or rather they should "stop being butthurt"...yeah that kinda is hypocritical. "I said that whilst they have the right to say anything, their words carry no weight"...no you did not say that. Also you are being fairly insulting.
Of course I am being insulting. What else can I be? I'm butthurt remember.
Oi vey. You completely ignored the point I was trying to make.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Scorpid said:
1337mokro said:
Scorpid said:
1337mokro said:
Scorpid said:
1337mokro said:
rcs619 said:
felbot said:
Seriously though, if Smite offends these guys, their heads are going to explode whenever they find out about the Shin Megami Tensei series. lol
LOL :D

Oh I had a good laugh when I read that.

But seriously people stop being butthurt over a game. First of all it's not slandering your religion it's just using figures as heroes. Second of all your religion is not protected from slander.

I can say anything I want about it whenever I want to. So please, go cry in the corner silently.
Sigh... So it's okay if gamers get offended when Samus takes a character turn that they don't appreciate, but a religion getting offended that their gods, that they hold as absolute truth, are getting put into a fighting game where they can lose to another religions god is just them being bitchy and not knowing that they've already lost?

Personally I can see their point and sort of agree with them, I certainly wouldn't want to see my mother or father or some other person I hold near and dear getting their face beaten in by someone as a game. Though Hindus and Buddhists getting together for something isn't at all surprising for anyone that has studied Indian history for more then five minutes.
Did I say that? No. You brought that up. So let's now examine that ans see how wrong you are.

When those gamers raised hell, what were their complaints. "Samus is made into a completely different character than previous games" or "The way Samus bows down to Adam is down right disgusting".

What they didn't say was "Because we believe Samus is a Supreme almighty Goddess she should never be used in any media unless it is depicted according to our very narrow standards of what is correct".

You compare a religious group complaining about their deities being used in a commercial product which they perceive as slanderous with a group of gamers who didn't like changes made between games.

Just to give you a personal opinion here.

What I didn't like about Other M was the abusive relationship between our two main characters, culminating in a stand off where a woman gets shot for being "disobedient".

Yay feminism!
I didn't play other M. My point is that people were upset, and you amongst them, that the character took a change they didn't like, that they felt she was misrepresented as a character on who she is at a fundamental level. Do I agree or disagree? I have no idea because I didn't play the game and I'm not a particular fan of Samus or side scrolling platforming that brought about her fame, but I do think your opinion certainly seems reasoned and shouldn't be mocked with statements like your very own above.
So now if we bring it back to people angry that their gods are being used in a fighting game to beat each other up, gods and religions by extension that people base their lives around and whose teachings they follow to some degree or another shouldn't be dismissed because it's a religion saying it, as you seem inclined to do.
Atheists sometime seem to have this view that they're absolutely right and where ever there is disagreement with their point of view that it should be put down with all the indignant rage they can muster against it without even a seemly consideration for the consequences of their what they say and do... or at least the majority I know. I'm not religious but being grouped with people like that is simply miserable to consider.
BUT most of all because you have a right to speak that alone should obligate you to feel it necessary to speak with some consideration of what you're saying and how it effects people, otherwise dialogue will just dissolve into shouting matches at an impasse which serves no purpose except to entrench ideologies with us vs them mentality being the first and last reason for anything said.

CAPTCHA: Silence is gold
(Most certainly...)
Then you should. Never use something as an example without actually playing it. It sets you up with a huge disadvantage as being merely an outsider who observes a group of people shouting aloud about how much a game sucks.

Let's take a look at what you misunderstood.

You think that my motivation is because it's religion you can freely mock it because it isn't real. That is incorrect.

My stance is that anything is free game for creative purposes. Religion is not a shield that protects you from that. Just because someone believes some being really exists doesn't mean we have to tip toe around them for the sake of their feelings.

That is nonsense. If I see someone who holds a belief that the earth is flat should I now never be able to point that out? Whatever medium I choose is wrong now because he might get offended that I dare to use his ideas for the purpose of entertainment or criticism.

Silence is indeed golden, but ducktape is silver, even the ducktape used by the protestors.
THERE WE GO! Now we're having something resembling debate ^_^
First off the example I used I didn't use for the content it I used it for the reaction by your group to a character they cared about. I didn't take an opinion for or against your own in your opinion of Other M. IF I was arguing that Other M represented accurately Samus and revealed that I hadn't ever played the game or any Metroid game then OH CERTAINLY your argument would sink my own like the Hindenburg, just fire and complete destruction. But that's not what I'm arguing, I was using it as an example of something you might of felt justified in debating and contrasting it to this debate over whether or not if the same holds true. Your conclusion in your case of Metroid was, to paraphrase "It most certainly is worth debating because I care about the character and wish to see some consistency in her motivations and attitudes." While on the other hand you argued that "But seriously people stop being butthurt over a game. First of all it's not slandering your religion it's just using figures as heroes. Second of all your religion is not protected from slander. I can say anything I want about it whenever I want to. So please, go cry in the corner silently."

Are you a follower of Hinduism Catholicism or Buddhism if not then by your own logic with Other M you don't have ground stand on to debate this issue. Since I've already said why I think they should be able to get this issue brought up we'll move past that. My issue secondly and the one you don't seem to appreciate was that your argument was both unintentionally(I hope) injudicious AND hypocritical when compared to another debate in video games. Well informed reasoned arguments that don't insult the audience and is at least some what consistent with what the speaker says isn't up for debate, it's public speaking 101 something you should understand because as you've said you have a right to speak so you should absolutely do it well. And this isn't aimed exclusively at you either it's aimed squarely at anyone that uses your style of debate of belittling the other side into submission while apply ZERO introspection into their own argument, more specifically atheists who believe that their opinions above reproach. `
Except my intention was never to debate.

I am not a follower but I have actually read about it, paged through actual scripture so in my case yes I did Christianity: Jesus's story 2006 unlike you sir who seems to be neither a gamer and just a religious person who came onto this forum to represent the protestors. Like I said there is no debate.

Because someone somewhere feels insulted by fictional media doesn't mean they now have a valid platform. In the case of Gamer Rage no one actually used alleged that the inclusion of Hindu deities such as Kali "trivializes" the standing of these Supreme Beings in an unacceptable way.

The mere INCLUSION of these deities has sent them into OUTRAGE. The Gamer rage has never been about that dear Mr. not-gamer. It's always how a game has betrayed itself or how the inclusion of that particular mechanic diluted something or dumbed it down.

Guess what. Their gods aren't protected from being depicted in media. There is no debate here, if the mere Inclusion of something annoys you, tough luck.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
erttheking said:
1337mokro said:
erttheking said:
1337mokro said:
AnarchistFish said:
1337mokro said:

They can say whatever they want about this game whenever they want to. Go cry in your bedroom, hypocrite.

Fucking hate this site sometimes for the self righteous and stuck up users that infest it.
Either that was a sarcasm post or you are a complete moron. You call me a hypocrite because I say someone should go cry in the corner. Then say I should do the same because I don't allow them to say whatever they want?

Guess what I never said they shouldn't be allowed to say anything. What I said was that whilst they have the right to say anything their words carry no weight.

I can see how you hate this site seeing as people like yourself are all over it :).

He called you a hypocrite for calling people butthurt over it, and then saying that you can say whatever you want about their religion. So in other words you said that you can say whatever you want about their religion, but they should shut up and stop complaining or rather they should "stop being butthurt"...yeah that kinda is hypocritical. "I said that whilst they have the right to say anything, their words carry no weight"...no you did not say that. Also you are being fairly insulting.
But I'm butthurt, I'm to busy rubbing lotion on the sore spot to listen to whatever point you were trying to make.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
1337mokro said:
erttheking said:
1337mokro said:
erttheking said:
1337mokro said:
AnarchistFish said:
1337mokro said:

But I'm butthurt, I'm to busy rubbing lotion on the sore spot to listen to whatever point you were trying to make.
That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Seriously, I'm done if you're going to keep acting like this.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
rcs619 said:
Seriously though, if Smite offends these guys, their heads are going to explode whenever they find out about the Shin Megami Tensei series. lol
oh
my
god

so much 'THIS!!'

if they really wanna ***** about 'trivializing supreme beings' that may or may not exist, then they really should have been on that back in the 90s. as it stands, they're, to coin an old phrase "a day late and a dollar short".
Shin Megami Tensei, letting you slaughter your way through the worlds' pantheons before Kratos made it all cool and mainstream =P

Also, it turned a (I believe Hindu? Maybe Arabic? Someone correct me if I'm wrong) god into, quite literally, a giant tentacled penis-monster.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
You know, I don't really care that it trivializes your Deity. You know why? Because it isn't my Deity. Fact is, if a game came out in which you played Jesus teaming up in a buddy adventure with time traveling Buddha to travel through time and switch Muhammed with Moses at the moment of circumcision in order to force feed the foreskin to the physical manifestation of the Brahman Bull, I would buy that game. If for no other reason than the sheer novelty of it.

I don't like the thought that the products I am allowed to buy are dictated by the whims of self deluding, uptight assholes with no stake in the individual game or the industry of which it's a part. Now, if they were protesting the release of the game because it hadn't had enough beta testing, I'd be all for it. I just don't see as it's anyone's business besides the developers and the customers.

That is your religious leaders for you though. They don't have any faith in your ability to exercise morality and sound judgement in your purchases. They think you're the sort of simpleton who can't figure out right from wrong and blasphemy from entertainment. If you're a believer who is likely to be offended by this (or any other) game, then don't buy it. But don't insist that the studio responsible not make games about certain topics, you don't speak for the rest of us.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
rcs619 said:
Lunar Templar said:
rcs619 said:
oh
my
god

so much 'THIS!!'

if they really wanna ***** about 'trivializing supreme beings' that may or may not exist, then they really should have been on that back in the 90s. as it stands, they're, to coin an old phrase "a day late and a dollar short".
Shin Megami Tensei, letting you slaughter your way through the worlds' pantheons before Kratos made it all cool and mainstream =P

Also, it turned a (I believe Hindu? Maybe Arabic? Someone correct me if I'm wrong) god into, quite literally, a giant tentacled penis-monster.
X3 yeah, theres that to.

and Kratos's temper tantrum isn't half as cool as the rampage in Nocturne, or Persona, or Digital Devil Saga

Jun 5, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
They're just upset because someone finally decided to put the "Whose god is better?" question to the ultimate test - hand-to-hand combat.
That's why I dont get why their so mad. Kali's got a lot of hands,

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Smite should be thanking these protestors. I never would have known about SMITE if it wasn't for this article. Bravo protestors, you just got this game another sale. :)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Where were these assholes when Megami Tensei was using every god, spirit, and legendary creature under the sun as Personas, allies, or your worst fucking nightmares, culminating in the attack against GOD HIMSELF by Lucifer's army led by you, the Demi-Fiend? I call bullshit on this entire news article, citing if this shitstorm wasn't thrown against Atlus, then they can't do it here.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
1337mokro said:
Scorpid said:
1337mokro said:
Scorpid said:
1337mokro said:
Scorpid said:
1337mokro said:
rcs619 said:
felbot said:

Sigh... So it's okay if gamers get offended when Samus takes a character turn that they don't appreciate, but a religion getting offended that their gods, that they hold as absolute truth, are getting put into a fighting game where they can lose to another religions god is just them being bitchy and not knowing that they've already lost?

Personally I can see their point and sort of agree with them, I certainly wouldn't want to see my mother or father or some other person I hold near and dear getting their face beaten in by someone as a game. Though Hindus and Buddhists getting together for something isn't at all surprising for anyone that has studied Indian history for more then five minutes.
Did I say that? No. You brought that up. So let's now examine that ans see how wrong you are.

When those gamers raised hell, what were their complaints. "Samus is made into a completely different character than previous games" or "The way Samus bows down to Adam is down right disgusting".

What they didn't say was "Because we believe Samus is a Supreme almighty Goddess she should never be used in any media unless it is depicted according to our very narrow standards of what is correct".

You compare a religious group complaining about their deities being used in a commercial product which they perceive as slanderous with a group of gamers who didn't like changes made between games.

What I didn't like about Other M was the abusive relationship between our two main characters, culminating in a stand off where a woman gets shot for being "disobedient".

Yay feminism!
I didn't play other M. My point is that people were upset, and you amongst them, that the character took a change they didn't like, that they felt she was misrepresented as a character on who she is at a fundamental level. Do I agree or disagree? I have no idea because I didn't play the game and I'm not a particular fan of Samus or side scrolling platforming that brought about her fame, but I do think your opinion certainly seems reasoned and shouldn't be mocked with statements like your very own above.
So now if we bring it back to people angry that their gods are being used in a fighting game to beat each other up, gods and religions by extension that people base their lives around and whose teachings they follow to some degree or another shouldn't be dismissed because it's a religion saying it, as you seem inclined to do.
Atheists sometime seem to have this view that they're absolutely right and where ever there is disagreement with their point of view that it should be put down with all the indignant rage they can muster against it without even a seemly consideration for the consequences of their what they say and do... or at least the majority I know. I'm not religious but being grouped with people like that is simply miserable to consider.
BUT most of all because you have a right to speak that alone should obligate you to feel it necessary to speak with some consideration of what you're saying and how it effects people, otherwise dialogue will just dissolve into shouting matches at an impasse which serves no purpose except to entrench ideologies with us vs them mentality being the first and last reason for anything said.

(Most certainly...)
Then you should. Never use something as an example without actually playing it. It sets you up with a huge disadvantage as being merely an outsider who observes a group of people shouting aloud about how much a game sucks.

You think that my motivation is because it's religion you can freely mock it because it isn't real. That is incorrect.

My stance is that anything is free game for creative purposes. Religion is not a shield that protects you from that. Just because someone believes some being really exists doesn't mean we have to tip toe around them for the sake of their feelings.

That is nonsense. If I see someone who holds a belief that the earth is flat should I now never be able to point that out? Whatever medium I choose is wrong now because he might get offended that I dare to use his ideas for the purpose of entertainment or criticism.

Silence is indeed golden, but ducktape is silver, even the ducktape used by the protestors.
First off the example I used I didn't use for the content it I used it for the reaction by your group to a character they cared about. I didn't take an opinion for or against your own in your opinion of Other M. IF I was arguing that Other M represented accurately Samus and revealed that I hadn't ever played the game or any Metroid game then OH CERTAINLY your argument would sink my own like the Hindenburg, just fire and complete destruction. But that's not what I'm arguing, I was using it as an example of something you might of felt justified in debating and contrasting it to this debate over whether or not if the same holds true. Your conclusion in your case of Metroid was, to paraphrase "It most certainly is worth debating because I care about the character and wish to see some consistency in her motivations and attitudes." While on the other hand you argued that "But seriously people stop being butthurt over a game. First of all it's not slandering your religion it's just using figures as heroes. Second of all your religion is not protected from slander. I can say anything I want about it whenever I want to. So please, go cry in the corner silently."

Are you a follower of Hinduism Catholicism or Buddhism if not then by your own logic with Other M you don't have ground stand on to debate this issue. Since I've already said why I think they should be able to get this issue brought up we'll move past that. My issue secondly and the one you don't seem to appreciate was that your argument was both unintentionally(I hope) injudicious AND hypocritical when compared to another debate in video games. Well informed reasoned arguments that don't insult the audience and is at least some what consistent with what the speaker says isn't up for debate, it's public speaking 101 something you should understand because as you've said you have a right to speak so you should absolutely do it well. And this isn't aimed exclusively at you either it's aimed squarely at anyone that uses your style of debate of belittling the other side into submission while apply ZERO introspection into their own argument, more specifically atheists who believe that their opinions above reproach. `

I am not a follower but I have actually read about it, paged through actual scripture so in my case yes I did Christianity: Jesus's story 2006 unlike you sir who seems to be neither a gamer and just a religious person who came onto this forum to represent the protestors. Like I said there is no debate.

Because someone somewhere feels insulted by fictional media doesn't mean they now have a valid platform. In the case of Gamer Rage no one actually used alleged that the inclusion of Hindu deities such as Kali "trivializes" the standing of these Supreme Beings in an unacceptable way.

The mere INCLUSION of these deities has sent them into OUTRAGE. The Gamer rage has never been about that dear Mr. not-gamer. It's always how a game has betrayed itself or how the inclusion of that particular mechanic diluted something or dumbed it down.

Guess what. Their gods aren't protected from being depicted in media. There is no debate here, if the mere Inclusion of something annoys you, tough luck.
If you're not prepared to defend your position then why did you think you were so able to add to a debate with calling three major religions 'Butthurt, and cry babies'? If you did thumb your way through the 'Jesus story' you must not of gotten very far because in the new testament which contains the 'Jesus story' is a fraction of what it talks about. BUT most egregious of all now we have to change the rules for someone you disagree, where to debate you don't have to of even read the Jesus story or know what Hinduism or Buddhism is you have more right to speak on the subject then spiritual leaders of those religions because you play video games... Where as I can only even attempt to talk about the controversy surrounding Other M by playing the game to understand a character. Two different rules for what is just to even argue by you. Rules for subjects you care about and rules that someone who you mock has to follow.

Now I feel like Other M though didn't go far enough I think Samus should of simply been chained to radiator while a man went and did her job undoubtedly better with less girly girl emotions. Why? Because fuck you that's why. And if you disagree with me your nothing but a fat sobbing acne faced fan boy who needs to get off his Samus love pillow and just join the rest of the world with us.
There's how I might argue Other M if I disagreed with you in the same way you disagree here. Do you see the problem? There is no way for you to prove to me I'm wrong because I'm presenting opinion as fact and my final conclusion isn't even logical it's simply another insult. Because I'm not trying to even you convince that Samus is a better off character i'm simply using insults as the justification for my opinion. It's how rap battles function, but unlike rap battle the goal of the two opponents isn't to actually convince the other that he has a small penis and that his mother and girlfriend are actually skeezy tramps that he had his way with the other night. It's to get people to cheer and agree because it's entertainment. Was that perhaps what you were trying to do, your opinions were meant to be taken seriously because you were trying to entertain people who agreed with you?

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Quick! No one tell these guys about Final Fantasy or the Persona series!!

They have no idea how big the iceberg is, if this is what really rustles their feathers.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Scorpid said:
1337mokro said:
Scorpid said:
1337mokro said:
Scorpid said:
1337mokro said:
Scorpid said:
1337mokro said:
rcs619 said:
felbot said:

Yay feminism!

(Most certainly...)

If you're not prepared to defend your position then why did you think you were so able to add to a debate with calling three major religions 'Butthurt, and cry babies'? If you did thumb your way through the 'Jesus story' you must not of gotten very far because in the new testament which contains the 'Jesus story' is a fraction of what it talks about. BUT most egregious of all now we have to change the rules for someone you disagree, where to debate you don't have to of even read the Jesus story or know what Hinduism or Buddhism is you have more right to speak on the subject then spiritual leaders of those religions because you play video games... Where as I can only even attempt to talk about the controversy surrounding Other M by playing the game to understand a character. Two different rules for what is just to even argue by you. Rules for subjects you care about and rules that someone who you mock has to follow.

Now I feel like Other M though didn't go far enough I think Samus should of simply been chained to radiator while a man went and did her job undoubtedly better with less girly girl emotions. Why? Because fuck you that's why. And if you disagree with me your nothing but a fat sobbing acne faced fan boy who needs to get off his Samus love pillow and just join the rest of the world with us.
There's how I might argue Other M if I disagreed with you in the same way you disagree here. Do you see the problem? There is no way for you to prove to me I'm wrong because I'm presenting opinion as fact and my final conclusion isn't even logical it's simply another insult. Because I'm not trying to even you convince that Samus is a better off character i'm simply using insults as the justification for my opinion. It's how rap battles function, but unlike rap battle the goal of the two opponents isn't to actually convince the other that he has a small penis and that his mother and girlfriend are actually skeezy tramps that he had his way with the other night. It's to get people to cheer and agree because it's entertainment. Was that perhaps what you were trying to do, your opinions were meant to be taken seriously because you were trying to entertain people who agreed with you?
Apparently you are not smart enough to get that "Jesus story 2006" is just a parody video game title and it implies the entire bible. Not to mention that apparently the only people who are capable of forming an opinion about religion HAVE to be part of that religion.

My comment about Other M was, you have no idea why people were outraged, because you haven't played the game, you don't know what is in the content.

I on the other hand know why these people are outraged and have also played the game. They are pissed because their deities are depicted in a game where they fight each other. They aren't pissed because their deities were given completely different characters from sequel to sequel. They aren't complaining that the depiction of Kali The Destroyer <- is uncharacteristic to the source material.

You are comparing a group complaining about the depiction of an established character to a group who are complaining simply because the game depicts their deities. That is your logical fallacy. One isn't protesting the depiction of a character but the way the character was depicted in consistency with PREVIOUS depictions. The other is protesting the mere presence of their deities in the game itself.

You can have an opinion on how something should be depicted sure. However what you can have but I will never allow you to enforce is the opinion that something should NEVER be depicted. That is the difference my good man. You seem to be nicely entrenched in Other M but you seem to forget not a single complaint actually read "They should never depict Samus in a game".

That is the demand posed by the Buddhists. Depicting their supreme beings in a videogame trivializes them they say therefore it should not be done.

However let's just get on to the actual meat of the matter here.

I don't HAVE to defend myself for the simple reason that I refuse to abide by other people dictating what can and cannot be depicted in a game, book, movie, song, cartoon or even a child's scribbling in the corner of his notebook.

There IS no discussion because I refuse to accept any circumstance where I cannot touch a subject because it is Divine, Sensitive or simply Off Limits. I refuse to compromise on any front to make you feel better now that people aren't talking or depicting what you believe in any form of media.

That is not going to happen.

People campaigning for limitations on this are not worthy of going in debate with. They DEMAND I have respect and reference for their beliefs when nothing merits that. They demand everyone else mind them and not thread on their toes. They have already lost by demanding things from me they have not earned and go even further by demanding that everyone on earth abide by their desires.

The audacity and arrogance is astounding. To demand that everyone, regardless of their own believes to respect and honour your beliefs and prevent them from being used for any purposes but your own.

Well guess what, if you really believe we should all mind these people so much and carefully thread around them let me start a new Church of Kali In Videogames. We have only one rule. Kali must be included in every videogame ever made, even retro-actively. Not having Shiva in a game offends me and I am going to protest that every game, no matter whether it needs to or not, includes a playable Kali character.

I hope you abide by my "beliefs" good sir.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
I would have never heard of this game before they started this controversy over it. Now I will most likely get it.

Good work fellows.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Get over yourselves is all I can say I find religions more respectable and mature if they allow fun to be poked at them kind of like self-depreciating humour. Then again I dislike all gods with every fiber of my being so meh.

Hmm maybe I should look up that good interview between christian leaders and monty python when they were discussing 'The Life of Brian' and it's supposed blasphemy.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
BehattedWanderer said:
At first, I thought they were just whining, but then I realize they had a point. These are their supreme beings, here, and we're making them lesser. Then greater, with a leveling system. But, while their point is valid, we are still discussing mythologies and pantheons of superpowered persons and creatures, which is already well documented to be fair game for game developers. Besides, if it wasn't this, it would be God of War, or Darksiders, or Dante's Inferno, or Asura's Wrath, or Enslaved, or Too Human. There's plenty of space for new gods in gaming, and, if there was something like a tasteful little bio about each one, it could even educate more people about that religion and it's fundamental mythologies.
These are not their supreme beings, these are supreme imaginary friends. I think religious people should take it less seriously.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Somehow I don't think the problem is with their "supreme beings" being in a game, or that these beings are busy kicking ass.

The problem is that they're in the same arena as other beings that are obviously not supreme. And losing.