Cats are so stupid...

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
It's more of a matter of misunderstanding than being stupid. The reason bees and birds bump into windows is probably because they have trouble comprehending them and become confused when confronted with this reality. As for the whole laser pointer thing cats will probably chase the pointer fully aware that they can ever actually grab onto it just so that they can practise hunting.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I've often thought cats were playing a sneaky double bluff. It's like, what do they do all day? Nothing. What do they give back? Little. But they get fed by us, they get their poop cleaned by us. They get looked after by us and they live in our warm houses. Maybe it is we who are stupid? After all, we're basically their slaves.

...but then they start chewing on furniture and roll around on the carpet with a soft toy and my opinion of them crashes down. Fuck, what a bunch of morons.

Azaradel

Jan 7, 2009
Don't let them fool you.

They're just pretending to be stupid to make us put our guards down. And once we do...

BAM!

All of humanity falls before the glorious feline overlords and is put to work as slaves in the yarn factories.

More colourful balls of yarn for the masters to play with and/or get tangled up in! More, I say!

MrA

Jul 26, 2009
Nah cats aren't that dumb. But they are animals and animals are just generally stupid. But in comparison to other animals, no. My cats can all open doors. They understand that pulling the handle down opens up the doorway. That's intelligence. For an animal at least :p

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
If people are arguing that cats are stupid because they don't do what humans tell them to, I'd say revise your definition of intelligence.

Cats have different personalities the same as humans. All the cats I have owned have been different on some level and I've owned a lot of cats.

I like dogs too but I don't like the way they jump around and slobber. They are intrusive, cats are very independent and subtle creatures.

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
ninjastovall0 said:
At least their not annoying as dogs
wet slimy tongues
barking at night at the smallest (and I mean that) thing
licking their balls
their smell(especially when wet)
so stupidly friendly they never leave you the fuck alone.
This. I really can't stand dogs. At the best of times, if clam and quite, I don't mind. But if its 3 o' fucking clock in the morning I have to get up at 6 the next day I don't need you barking up a goddamn storm just because the neighbors never sleep. /endrant

Cats, even if you get a little coked up kitten, are leaps and bounds better than dogs.

And as for the OP: Yes I think cats are dumb, but cute enough that I don't mind.

jake557

May 30, 2008
neonit said:
i think that all cats are on super genius level of intelligence. i mean, try - as a human, convince someone to pick up your poop. having difficulties? cats have none......
or try to convince someone to give you food for free..... no prop for a cat.
also, try jumping on someones fence and start meowing for a whole night. cat probably would suffer no consequences. you will. eh... just trust me.....
I've succeeded in all of those (well maybe not the meowing). It was called childhood, and it was great.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Sizzle Montyjing said:
So i've just watched this video, and as a cat owner it rang true.
I just thought i'd share this amazing discovery with you all...

But do you think cats are stupid?
omfg. There isn't much on the internet that can literally make me laugh out loud, but I couldnt stop laughing for that entire video. That was great. Now I have to go wipe my eyes. hahaha

Also, yes, cats are stupid. One of my biggest pet peeves (see what I did there?) are people who let their cats wander around outside all the damn time. I HATE that.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:
So i've just watched this video, and as a cat owner it rang true.
I just thought i'd share this amazing discovery with you all...

But do you think cats are stupid?
Kind of weird how the author uses being poor and pathetic as signs of intelligence.

Insomniaku

Jan 31, 2009
what do we base a cat's stupidity on? can we really compare a cat to a human being? I don't think so, I also think cats like any animals are mostly driven by intstinctive intuition rather than contemplative thought and stupidity is an assignment made to humans who lack an ability or are seemingly impared to do so. I realize this is not as serious a thread as I'm making it out to be but I'm just saying

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
anthony87 said:
Dr Snakeman said:
Of course they are. All pets are stupid; that's part of the reason why we have them. If they were sentient, they'd be people, not pets.
...All animals are sentient. But I think I understand what you meant.
OR ARE THEY??????

lol. Unfortunately it is impossible to truly tell if something is sentient. The only reason we assume animals to be sentient is because we also assume other humans that share similar neurological stuff with animals are sentient.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
ninjastovall0 said:
so stupidly friendly they never leave you the fuck alone.
Yeah, friendly things are the worst. I don't want your attention, leave me alone! I'm trying to brood about how no-one loves me, dammit!

...I may have said words to that effect to my dog before.

Are cats/dogs stupid? Everything's fucking awesome to them. Everything. And we're all sitting around worrying about school, work, and shit.
Ignorance is bliss.

Arctarus'sCookie

May 9, 2011
Well yeah, my cat is pretty stupid. He can't even figure out how to play TF2. But hes the entertaining kind of stupid where even if he fucks up its okay because it was funny.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
i think they are spoiled an unambitious so they just turn stupid, make that cat do your homework.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
Cats are SOOOO much smarter than humans. So are dogs, but not as much as cats. Think about it, they get you to PICK UP THEIR SHIT AND TAKE IT OUT FOR THEM. And if they puke, guess who cleans it up? Who's the master now *****?

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Note: Fucking read this and don't leave a stupid ass response. I have to type this before my actual post because I've had horrible experiences on the internet with talking about this stuff. Mainly because the internet has become a place where tolerance and intelligence has gone down the shitter. And speaking as an American, this situation sounds a lot like America is today.

TL;DR Don't be a fucking asshole.

OT: When researching Paganism because I was considering becoming one, and in fact did, I came across something interesting. Animals are basically the top level in reincarnation. You see that cat, laying in the corner of your room during nothing? They earned it. Life after life of hardship, learning things about themselves and everything, to finally get to do what they want. And if they want to do nothing, fuck, let them. They've fucking earned it.

And if they do stupid stuff, that's fun to them. I enjoy playing with crumpled up pieces of paper and running around when there's a laser pointer out. It's fun. And fun = good. And that last sentence is why I stopped playing Battlefield and Call of Duty. (OH! No offense.)

While stupid things may happen, coming from a scientific stand point now, how did we learn that fire was hot? We touched it, got burned, went to the hospital, and remembered it. That cat that ran into the window may try and try and try to go through it until it realizes, "Hey. This isn't working. OOOH! LASER POINTER!"

Think about that.

TL;DR Cats can have fun. Humans just have sticks up our bums and can't have fun for two seconds without wanting to kill someone because they're different.