CD Projekt Red CEO: Cyberpunk 2077 will be "More Ambitious on Every Single Front"

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
I am psyched about Cyber 2077, to an extent. (Multiplayer tagged on doesn't really set my pants on fire. Opposite really.)

But what I would really love to see, would be for CD project to either extend the witcher world, or create another, to one that has similar medieval fantasy setting, but with Chinese-Korean-Japanese mythology setting, like the current witcher world is mash of Europe. No shortage of folklore monsters to drawn on, or regional warfare events with very brutal outcomes, even before the age of industry. You think Vlad the impaler/Radovid was bad? Let me tell about fun guy named Xiang Yu, who decided that perfect execution method for +200 000 POW's was to bury them alive.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Therumancer said:
Charcharo said:
nomotog said:
Charcharo said:
Well... at least I wont have to compare it to the superior books, so I am looking forward to Cyberpunk! :)
Me too.. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am. I think getting away from a book and pre-set characters should give them a lot more freedom. I want to see what they do with that freedom.

Blazing Hero said:
So is the girl in the trailer the protagonist or is it the guy standing behind her with the gun?
Information is rarer then the dodo, but as I understand it. It is both. You can pick your character this time around.
Yeah, without books to compare it to, the game will be free to do whatever it wants. Also it wont have a superior art form/work breathing down its neck all the time.

With that said, for all its problems I do love the Witcher 3 in large part because it is based on books I enjoy :(

Yes and no, the game is supposed to be based on the Cyberpunk RPG, formerly known as Cyberpunk 2020, I remember reading this and it's also sort of a give away given the way they write "Cyberpunk" in the ads which is the same as the RPG. So while not tied down by novels, they are apparently working within the constraints of an existing RPG setting, one which has been around for a loooong time.

The edition of CP2020 I have has character classes and such, so I'm guessing if this doesn't use a pre-defined main character it's one where you'll wind up choosing the type of character you want to play. I'm also guessing some character types such as Media (Max Headroom), Corporate, Nomad, and Police won't be available. Nomad for example would likely involve them putting in a robust vehicle combat system and possible a focus on what happens outside the megacities in the post-apocalyptic wasted lands of the USA. Such would also involve access to the kinds of resources that don't work well in a single player RPG.

Overall I'm expecting something similar to a revved up "Knights Of The Old Republic" except based around CP as opposed to D20 Star Wars.

Those eagerly awaiting this game might consider tracking down an old game called "Bloodnet" which is a Cyberpunk RPG with Vampires, which is one of the few attempts I know of to do a Cyberpunk setting that wasn't Shadowrun.
I am hopeing to hope it doesn't try to use classes. Founding a game on a game is better then founding it on a book. Like you don't have an established character for one. Like if the witcher stated with gerolt dieing horribly and then let you play a your own character, then I would have liked it more.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Blazing Hero said:
So is the girl in the trailer the protagonist or is it the guy standing behind her with the gun?
I suspect she may be the protagonist, or at least one of them.

If I remember the trailer correctly, after the frozen scene of what looks like a cyber psychosis episode, you cut to the exact same woman armed and armoured on the way to another call out.
What I think it implies is that she is remembering her own encounter with the C-Swat (the dedicated squad for dealing with heavily augmented individuals having psychotic episodes) that led to her recruitment.

The more cyberware you have installed, the lower your empathy gets.
In some cases this can lead to a breakdown, a cyberpsychosis episode.
That results in the C-Swat team being dispatched to drop your crazy robo-butt with anti materiel rifles and emp grenades.

After they take you in, you are chained to a chair and have your augmentations shut down one by one.
Then they do a full interface with your brain and rebuild your personality into one that serves society far more appropriately.
What do you do with a person who's jacked up to the nines on cyberware and has the requisite skills to use it?
You see where I'm going.
Set a thief to catch a thief, as they say.

There's still too much unknown about the final game, but the situation they show us is one that is part of the cyberpunk setting and shows us the bleakness under the pretty, shiny chrome.

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
Still no release date? Well, hopefully it's soon. I don't think R. Talsorian Games is ever going to finish Mekton Zero without the money from this project.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
The setting is the only reason I'm vaguely interested in a game by this dev again after my less-than-liking-it experience with the first Witcher.

praisegrima

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Amaror said:
Blazing Hero said:
I think both. At the end of the trailer both of them sit in the same vehicle with the same equipment. Which suggest that she joined his team after he stoped her when she went insane for a moment.
Or they're a team infiltrating the police either as a getaway or part of a job.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I'm basically interested in any game being made by the people who did 'Witcher 3' but have any gameplay movies or screenshots been released?

I'm mostly curious how the game is going to play. Is it going to be an FPS/RPG like Fallout, or will it be a 3rd person 'Witcher with guns' type game?

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Ihateregistering1 said:
I'm basically interested in any game being made by the people who did 'Witcher 3' but have any gameplay movies or screenshots been released?

I'm mostly curious how the game is going to play. Is it going to be an FPS/RPG like Fallout, or will it be a 3rd person 'Witcher with guns' type game?
The only actual info released so far is the teaser from 2013.

TP Potato

May 8, 2015
Definitely looking forward to this. CD Projekt RED is one of the few developers whose games I pre-order; not really to secure a copy but because I'm honestly hyped.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Naldan said:
The Chinese Room (yes, the dev) already cleared it up that with "more ambitious", CD Projekt Red means more misogynistic than the The Witcher series.

Or in other words: The Chinese Room wants your attention. And they want to make sure that you know what you support if you buy stuff made by them.

To be precise: They said that on twitter in response to a tweet from CDPR about Cyberpunk 2077 being more ambitious, as far as my source goes. I try to never, ever touch twitter again.
Oh I'm done with the Chinese Room as a developer after that ill informed poke. If you actually play the game you seen not sex positivity, which many so called feminists seem to abhor, but many strong female characters, some of whom are stronger than the player character. You also play for periods of the game as a powerful female named Ciri.

I really, really believe the people who had tried to criticize this game have never played it and judging a book by its cover.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
kuolonen said:
I am psyched about Cyber 2077, to an extent. (Multiplayer tagged on doesn't really set my pants on fire. Opposite really.)

But what I would really love to see, would be for CD project to either extend the witcher world, or create another, to one that has similar medieval fantasy setting, but with Chinese-Korean-Japanese mythology setting, like the current witcher world is mash of Europe. No shortage of folklore monsters to drawn on, or regional warfare events with very brutal outcomes, even before the age of industry. You think Vlad the impaler/Radovid was bad? Let me tell about fun guy named Xiang Yu, who decided that perfect execution method for +200 000 POW's was to bury them alive.
I would really love this. We have a huge number of games set in a fantasy Europe analogue, but very little, especially RPGs, set in a fantasy Asia. From south Asian countries like India to east Asian ones like China and Japan there's a tremendous amount of fascinating historical and mythological lore to draw from. It would be a very different experience to the usual fantasy settings that we see over and over again.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
karkashan said:
The setting is the only reason I'm vaguely interested in a game by this dev again after my less-than-liking-it experience with the first Witcher.

praisegrima
The first Witcher is SIGNIFICANTLY different The Witcher 3. I highly recommend trying the Witcher 3 if the only thing holding you back is that you didn't like the first one. I didn't like the first game either.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Well if theres one developer i trust to actually deliver on their promise it is CDPR. Im a bit dissapointed we still got only one teaser trailer but i guess thats how it has to be.

Naldan said:
The Chinese Room (yes, the dev) already cleared it up that with "more ambitious", CD Projekt Red means more misogynistic than the The Witcher series.

Or in other words: The Chinese Room wants your attention. And they want to make sure that you know what you support if you buy stuff made by them.

To be precise: They said that on twitter in response to a tweet from CDPR about Cyberpunk 2077 being more ambitious, as far as my source goes. I try to never, ever touch twitter again.
Who? Oh, right, a small time indie developer that developed nothing but boring walking simulators. Calling out CDPR. Now i had a good laugh.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Naldan said:

That's rather obnoxious of them. And pretty unprofessional coming from an official Twitter. If it was someone in the company saying it, that's one thing, everyone is allowed an opinion, etc, but that Twitter is a company mouthpiece. They should be careful.

karkashan said:

praisegrima
The Witcher has changed radically between each game, though less between two and three than between one and two. The Witcher 1 frustrated me for hours before it clicked, so I know some of your pain. As Amir Kondori said, trying The Witcher 3 would give you a much better idea of what the franchise and the company is like now. It's made for people that haven't played the last two to be able to jump right in, so I heartily recommend you give it a shot.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
Ftaghn To You Too said:
The Witcher has changed radically between each game, though less between two and three than between one and two. The Witcher 1 frustrated me for hours before it clicked, so I know some of your pain. As Amir Kondori said, trying The Witcher 3 would give you a much better idea of what the franchise and the company is like now. It's made for people that haven't played the last two to be able to jump right in, so I heartily recommend you give it a shot.
I also heavily disliked the second one as well, so I doubt I'll ever bother with 3.

praisegrima

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Let's hope they are not hyping themselves too much. Remember the lessons of Carmack.

I really love the Cyberpunk genre. Tough to find lasting games though.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Mikeybb said:
Blazing Hero said:
I suspect she may be the protagonist, or at least one of them.

If I remember the trailer correctly, after the frozen scene of what looks like a cyber psychosis episode, you cut to the exact same woman armed and armoured on the way to another call out.
What I think it implies is that she is remembering her own encounter with the C-Swat (the dedicated squad for dealing with heavily augmented individuals having psychotic episodes) that led to her recruitment.

The more cyberware you have installed, the lower your empathy gets.
In some cases this can lead to a breakdown, a cyberpsychosis episode.
That results in the C-Swat team being dispatched to drop your crazy robo-butt with anti materiel rifles and emp grenades.

After they take you in, you are chained to a chair and have your augmentations shut down one by one.
Then they do a full interface with your brain and rebuild your personality into one that serves society far more appropriately.
What do you do with a person who's jacked up to the nines on cyberware and has the requisite skills to use it?
You see where I'm going.
Set a thief to catch a thief, as they say.

There's still too much unknown about the final game, but the situation they show us is one that is part of the cyberpunk setting and shows us the bleakness under the pretty, shiny chrome.
OR
That may part of investigation based on someone else's memories
Or they both were doing some sort of VR training (for extra dick points guy may have been taking role of a cybercrazy girl and gave her his opponents likeness)
I think it's called "braindancing" in CP setting.