Celebrate old Escapists! The war against the newbies has been won!

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Redlin5 said:
Drathnoxis said:
So how do you feel about winning the war against the newbies?
Now we need to bring back the 2008-2009 people and reclaim our ancestral land.

The war never ends.
Bah. I resent the assumption that age bring experience and maturity! That's purely outdated thinking. Anyway, if you want good people then you can make them yourself by treating 'em all right.

inmunitas said:
shrekfan246 said:
inmunitas said:
You do relies there is a world outside of North America, and the term "fag" doesn't necessarily have homophobic connotations else where, right?
You do realize that "chan culture" clearly does not use "fag" with British or Australian meanings, right?
Actually it's not clear at all, given that there are multiple definitions and uses of the term which are quite similar but have different implications.
Uhhh, well then hopefully the reactions of people you call it in conversation will clarify the matter. I bet it will shortly after they assume you're not referring to them as a bundle of sticks or a rolled-up cigarette. That is what tends to happen in my experience of seeing it, which is why I don't call other people that and probably why a lot of those I know don't do it either.

Misericorde said:
Barbas said:
IceForce said:
On other forums around the internet, it's not uncommon to see people with join dates more than a decade old. There's one particular forum I also frequent where almost all of the regulars have join dates 2003-2005.

Why does The Escapist have such a (comparatively) high turnover of users? Is it because people get bored of it quickly? Is it the moderation? Perhaps it's because people tend to join this site when they're fairly young IRL, and grow out of this place after a few years.
I'm not really sure the reason...
The site's forums haven't been around for all that long. They got started some time in 2006, IIRC, which was as far back as threads with comments in will currently load for me. Earliest join date I saw was 2004, I think, belonging to someone who helped put the site together. A lot of people joined back then and simply don't post in the forums, ergo they aren't seen as much nowadays. The mute white faces are legion.
Forums take a lot of work to run well, and the payoff can be hard to see unless they're doing very well. It's not a shock that a lot of sites are tossing their forums, and at best using Disqus or something similar. Maybe there will just be an Escapist Subreddit at some point?
There already exists such a place, and, in a word, it is hysterical.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Barbas said:
Redlin5 said:
Drathnoxis said:
Now we need to bring back the 2008-2009 people and reclaim our ancestral land.

The war never ends.
Bah. I resent the assumption that age bring experience and maturity! That's purely outdated thinking. Anyway, if you want good people then you can make them yourself by treating 'em all right.
Surely you didn't think I was serious? :p

Escapists have been guttersnipes since the servers first opened. From what I've seen, the nicer people come from all join dates. My opinion of join date 'supremacy' is the same as my opinion of post count prowess. [http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XsMIc-FqCT0/Umm9EoskPpI/AAAAAAAAANw/SalFHRk2RPk/s1600/Post+counts.png]

Its all a joke to me :D

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Redlin5 said:
Surely you didn't think I was serious? :p

Escapists have been guttersnipes since the servers first opened. From what I've seen, the nicer people come from all join dates. My opinion of join date 'supremacy' is the same as my opinion of post count prowess. [http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XsMIc-FqCT0/Umm9EoskPpI/AAAAAAAAANw/SalFHRk2RPk/s1600/Post+counts.png]

Its all a joke to me :D
People are sadly often serious about that sort of thing, though they'd never admit to something like that. "Guttersnipe" is a real Victorian's insult, but I prefer the more comical "ragamuffin". Again, sadly, I think it may have fallen out of vogue some time ago to refer to people as urchins. :<

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
Barbas said:
inmunitas said:
shrekfan246 said:
inmunitas said:
You do relies there is a world outside of North America, and the term "fag" doesn't necessarily have homophobic connotations else where, right?
You do realize that "chan culture" clearly does not use "fag" with British or Australian meanings, right?
Actually it's not clear at all, given that there are multiple definitions and uses of the term which are quite similar but have different implications.
Uhhh, well then hopefully the reactions of people you call it in conversation will clarify the matter. I bet it will shortly after they assume you're not referring to them as a bundle of sticks or a rolled-up cigarette. That is what tends to happen in my experience of seeing it, which is why I don't call other people that and probably why a lot of those I know don't do it either.
Except British usage of "fag" doesn't come from shortening the term "******" (a bundle of sticks) it comes from the term "fag end".

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Um, that's cool, I guess.

I didn't realize that this was a big damn deal, but alright.

Also, I would like to point out that we need the new people to keep this place around, and while it's sad to not see the older peeps post more in forums, it's not the end of the world if they don't post much. I mean, I know a few of them are in user groups now because they're just rather not deal with the forums, or they just want to hang out with a few posters that they're friends with for a bit in UG.

Or it could be, ya know, the older crowd having other things to do, and maybe don't have as much time as they used to, and the new people do.

As for "the war", I think it's pretty damn silly, and you should try to not be silly, you silly billy.

Jack Action

Not a premium member.
Sep 6, 2014
Newbie drunken clockwork alligator, reporting for duty!

I'm not gonna stop being annoying just because you people have seniority.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."
Or in gaming, if you want to make enemies, try suggesting that you don't have to be a complete asshole.

The Lunatic said:
I don't really think it's your place to lecture the homosexual on homophobia, dear.
Really? Could you explain to me precisely what my place is?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Also, I would like to point out that we need the new people to keep this place around, and while it's sad to not see the older peeps post more in forums, it's not the end of the world if they don't post much.
I'm reminded of that Duck Dodgers cartoon where Daffy and Marvin fight basically until the planet is a clump of dirt and then Daffy declares himself victor.

But seriously, you need old people posting as well as new people because without old posters, new people either see a ghost town and don't sign up or don't hang around long. You need old people around to last long enough for the new people to become old people and replace them.

And, I mean, seriously, without our charm and wit, why would anyone sign up? >.>

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Commissar Barbs I hereby order you to take these recent joiners to the basement for reeducation. Its the inevitable victory of the science of old joiners.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Something Amyss said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Also, I would like to point out that we need the new people to keep this place around, and while it's sad to not see the older peeps post more in forums, it's not the end of the world if they don't post much.
I'm reminded of that Duck Dodgers cartoon where Daffy and Marvin fight basically until the planet is a clump of dirt and then Daffy declares himself victor.

But seriously, you need old people posting as well as new people because without old posters, new people either see a ghost town and don't sign up or don't hang around long. You need old people around to last long enough for the new people to become old people and replace them.
No, I agree.

You need the old farts to keep this place going and make it an awesome place, and have it so the new peeps want to keep it up. It's all circular, but I guess I just don't see it as the worst thing in the world if the older guys don't post as much as they used to for whatever reason. Like work or whatever.

And, I mean, seriously, without our charm and wit, why would anyone sign up? >.>
Wait, we have charm?

Man, I must have rolled shitily. >.>

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
Well this is just... I was in a... But I didn't...

Just awwwwwww.
Join a site I like and apparently I'm still a loser.
Well time to start up a resistance.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
You need the old farts to keep this place going and make it an awesome place, and have it so the new peeps want to keep it up. It's all circular, but I guess I just don't see it as the worst thing in the world if the older guys don't post as much as they used to for whatever reason. Like work or whatever.
It wouldn't matter so much if it didn't look like the circle was collapsing in on itself. Otherwise, it's basic attrition. Which is cool.

Wait, we have charm?

Man, I must have rolled shitily. >.>
That expains why I'm so overtaxed!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I rarely pay attention to joined dates when reading posts unless one seems a bit "off" from the regular style of posting. Its not anything to do with that two letter abbreviated issue some people continue to talk about that I won't mention except in passing. It rather seems that "newbies" most of the time are not aware of how this forum has evolved in the past. I can tell just by reading a post if someone is "new" to the forum, I don't know how.

Anyway OT: I had no clue, and don't really care now that I'm informed, that there was a war. I honestly have been more willing to welcome fresh faces as long as they add to discussions and do not get salty or full of odd rhetoric that derails threads. Everyone was a newb somewhere, and we can't be salty towards them. Its not right IMO, we should help them, be their shepherds, their partners in this Journey through the wastelands of Escapist's forum. If we do not guide them, then they will become lost.

We must also be careful not to instill bias in them from our own views. Rather we should just be a guidance, and help them avoid moderator wrath and the ever-looming banhammer of Damocles hanging overhead.

No, there should not be a war here, we need not act like Ghandi from Civilization and form alliances only to nuke them into radioactive dust. Save the wars for when we really need to act, and be open to new folks.

I will reiterate: You all were once "newbies" as well, and your join date coupled with your posts may only mean you've wasted a lot of time here. :) I'll admit that I waste my time on Escapist, I've been here a decent amount of time, surprisingly enough, but it means nothing in the end.

./rant
END OF LINE

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I think some people here are taking the OP a bit too seriously...

Also, can we maybe not bring in derailing and passive aggressive posts to the thread about the loss, and rationale for said losing, of newer forum members?

Unless the point is to...I dunno...illustrate why this is happening?

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
Remember when there used to always be those threads where people would complain how there weren't any old users anymore, and everybody had a join date newer than so-and-so? Well, we don't have that problem anymore! Nearly everybody who still posts here has a join date older than 2013 with most being 2008-2011.

I just checked the first page of each thread on the first page of Off-Topic and tallied everybody who had a join date from 2014-2015:

Total Posts: 539
Posts from users with join dates 2014-2015: 58
Individual users with join dates 2014-2015: 35
Percentage of posts from users with join dates 2014-2015: 10%

For comparison I did the same thing with the first page of Off-Topic from August 16, 2011 [http://web.archive.org/web/20110816093450/http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/index/18-Off-topic-Discussion]:

Total Posts: 602
Posts from users with join dates 2010-2011: 356
Percentage of posts from users with join dates 2010-2011: 59%

Eh, I've been here awhile, but I still feel like a noob, given I don't post much XD

Nice Dashie avatar btw OP! /)

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Wow. I joined five years ago. That kind of blows my mind. It also explains why I'm burnt out on posting.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Well, that really kinda sucks. But kind of obvious given how slow the forums are nowadays and the only reason to continue coming here being attachment to this particular forum.

...Can I have my "oldie" badge yet? I feel like I'm somewhere in the middle without a pre-2010 join date.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Finally, my plan is coming to fruition.

OT: My guess for this is because the higher-ups didn't replace the quality that left with much even close to the quality of those that left. Of the new stuff, I only read Marter's Movie Reviews. Even the big-name stuff like Game Theory is behind YouTube, which sure as shit isn't going to bring anyone from YouTube to here.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Regardless of join date, I'm sad by the gradual decline of my once favourite (most frequented) site. I would imagine the exodus of many people was due to the decline in amount and quality of content. I came during the mass ZP craze. And I stayed for a long time just because I watched it weekly. I moved on to other stuff. I then went and reread some older things like Experienced Points that I never followed before. I follow that now.

I also used to like reading the news here but there are now some that do such a bad job of reporting that its offensive. Unresearched articles with factual errors and judgmental tones where none need to be.