Cerberus Gears Up in First Mass Effect 3 Screenshots

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Cerberus Gears Up in First Mass Effect 3 Screenshots

Get a close look at the Cerberus forces that oppose Commander Shepard in the first duo of Mass Effect 3 screenshots.

Get ready, because BioWare has released our first look at in-game footage of Mass Effect 3. It's in the form of just two screenshots, but hey, that's better than nothing.

[gallery=208]

Game Informer was given the pair of exclusive shots that show Commander Shepard in action. In them, he's fighting the forces of Cerberus on the Salarian homeworld. It was first trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109098-Mass-Effect-3-Details-Arrive-Like-Reapers] showed us that Shepard will have to deal with that while also figuring out how to save Earth from invading Reapers.

The screens show that Cerberus is seriously armored up in Mass Effect 3. I don't know how they can see out of those helmets. Shepard at least knows how to play it cool without headgear, just like his old self.

We don't get a lot from these screens, other than the confirmation that Mass Effect 3 will have shooting, weapons, armored dudes, potted plants, and some serious flare effects. Hopefully a better look at the game is coming along soon.

Mass Effect 3 is scheduled for release on the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC in late 2011.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/20/exclusive55_5f00_mass55_5f00_effect55_5f00_355_5f00_screens55.aspx]

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Mass Effect 3, Now with more lens flare!!

They don't need to see out of those helmets. They use the force... I mean Biotics to see where they are going.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
I think I'm becoming more cynical by the day. Every time I look at material from or on Mass Effect 3, I become more trepidatious on the game and the franchise.

Maybe Mass Effect 2 murdered my ability to optimistically look at a BioWare product... I dunno.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
Those weapons look the same. The gameplay looks the same. The art style/quality is also the same. I hope the game is better, then again how much can you tell about a game from 2 screenshots.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Okay so everything I've done for cerberus, I shouldn't do? In case it comes to bite me in the ass in 3? Like saving the reaper technology or letting that scientist guy continue to experiment on his brother?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Ah, the comforting familiar sight of the ME blue lens flare. Makes me feel all warm inside.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Well Cereberus certainly doesn't care about looking like the good guys anymore. Dark helmets with slanted red eyes don't exactly scream "protagonist".

Quiet Stranger said:
Okay so everything I've done for cerberus, I shouldn't do? In case it comes to bite me in the ass in 3? Like saving the reaper technology or letting that scientist guy continue to experiment on his brother?
If you did that you're a pretty bad person to begin with imo.

Honestly, how anyone could want to hand reaper technology over to the Illusive Man is beyond me.

fledin

Apr 8, 2010
Maybe I'm being a ***** since I use the internet at all and should be used to how it works, but I really didn't want to know that Cerberus turns on Shepard. I stopped reading as soon as I saw the spoiler warning in the last ME3 article because of, well, wanting to be spoiler-free. SPOILER ALERT here would've been nice.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
It looks very close to ME2, the first ME used a lot of blue, the second had a kind of red/orange feel that this one also seems to have. Since this is the BIG FINAL EPIC I want a bit more contrast with the colours, and add some blacks, its supposed to be dark times for humanity

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Wes1180 said:
Perhaps its just a rogue cell XD :p
By the end of Mass Effect 2, I just assumed "Rogue Cell" was code for "Normal Cerberus Operation, under a different name to fool an utterly gullible Shepard".

I liked Mass Effect 2, but my god, I hope Shepard is off the idiot pills.

Otherwise, looking good. I remember reading that article in an airport.
Mass Effect does seem to be getting even MORE like a shooter, but it's also adding back the RPG...so I'm optimistic.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Oh fuck, I turned over the collector's ship to them...

Well, Earth's fucked for me then

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
meganmeave said:
Mass Effect 3, Now with more lens flare!!

They don't need to see out of those helmets. They use the force... I mean Biotics to see where they are going.
Lol. The first thing I thought when I saw those Cerberus goons was: Stormtrooper wannabe. Is it me or is EVERYTHING to do with Cerberus just a little bit too square? Kinda like the shuttle aboard the Normany was awfully angular. That always bugged me, I mean the future is supossed to be all shiny round edges and stuff right?

Oh and if Mass Effect has any MORE lense flare I think I'll have to wear sunglasses while playing...

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Stevepinto3 said:
Well Cereberus certainly doesn't care about looking like the good guys anymore. Dark helmets with slanted red eyes don't exactly scream "protagonist".

Quiet Stranger said:

Honestly, how anyone could want to hand reaper technology over to the Illusive Man is beyond me.
You look into those cybernetically enhanced baby blues and just TRY to say no. That's right, you can't.

Illusive Man is a romance option in ME3. You heard it here first.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
cerberus works way better as the bad guys imho but please make it that the illusive man left some kind of comm devise in shepards head so i can keep having conversation with martin sheen.
I still think the illusive man just handled too much reaper stuff and got himself brainwashed.
oh and making fun of helmets you couldn't look out of in the ME universe is kinda pointless, one of the helmets in ME2 was designed with cameras/screen instead of a normal visor. I just hope for whoever is using such a helmet that the technology ins screens gets better in the next 170 years, having a modern day screen centimeters from your face during combat would suck.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
Oh and if Mass Effect has any MORE lense flare I think I'll have to wear sunglasses while playing...
Wishing more than anything right now I could come back with an awesome Horatio Caine saying.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Stevepinto3 said:

Quiet Stranger said:

Well I didn't of course, I blew it up but I'm just wondering now if being a good person is the safest way to go now.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
meganmeave said:
Proverbial Jon said:
Wishing more than anything right now I could come back with an awesome Horatio Caine saying.
Oh believe me, the thought certainly crossed my mind but then you could say that...

*Puts sunglasses on*

...I saw the light

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!