CES: Microsoft Exec Says 3D Gaming Is Way Off

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Jaredin said:
Well, not sure if I want 3D in my game just yet...
Apply 3D to crappy Survival game, and it suddenly might not suck???

And no stealing my ...

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
I think 3D will have to stop being dependent on glasses before it catches on. So it'll probably be a while.

House_Vet

Dec 27, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
At least he knows it. The thing is, consumers don't want 3D gaming. There is no reason for it.
Speak for yourself.

What about better immersion? Sounds good to me...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
AHAHAHAHA SUCKERS.

PC gaming <link=http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Main.html>already has it!

Yes, I know it's expensive, and no, I don't have it. Shut up.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Da_Schwartz said:
"Please don't start thinking about 3d gaming. We're still trying to keep you to believing in Natal for the last year. LOOK IT TALKS TO YOU!!, and you can jump around like THIS!!"
lol.

machineiv

Oct 15, 2009
Nintendo will probably do it sooner than later.

Then a bunch of gamers will ***** and moan. They'll say it's a gimmick. Then Sony and Microsoft will do it three years later, and everyone will call them revolutionary.

(And no, the Virtual Boy doesn't count. Although it was fun.)

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Well being colour-blind, 3d doesn't really work properly for me. It's a bit 3d and a lot blurred mess, so I'll pass thanks. Being shortsighted doesn't help either.

Also I wish people would stop pointing at Avatar as if it is some technical paragon of the "way things should be" it's a below average story with above average graphics, not effects, graphics. The only special effect in that 3 hour cutscene is the integration of the Humans, otherwise it's the same as toy story. I'm sure that if it had been the other way around and they added one of the Na'vi to a solely Human film it would be glaringly obvious.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
Greg Tito said:
This dog would look a lot better if you had 3D glasses on.
No it wouldn't, it's a dog. Beastly, horrible things.

Anyway, I don't see 3D happening for a long time either. I want a holosuite (with *hard coded* safeties) and nothing less. That's the ultimate 3d experience!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
rvdm88 said:
I want this. I know its not fake because I read it somewhere. Good for you man! And welcome to the Escapist.

Chaos Theory said:
Good because 3d is really over rated

im gonna wait till we have cyber space or something
-cough-internet-cough-is-cough-cyber-cough-space. Eh hm, Cyber Space is the internet. Also, beware the avatar. You could get flamed for that.

OT: I don't care, the feeling of bullets entering my head in 3D is just too awesome. I disagree in some aspects but I'll stay 3D in my PC thanks.

Strange looking glasses? Oh please, I have glasses. Its really uncomfortable but its worth it. 3D lenses please.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
Make the stereoscopic cheap and I'll get it.

The full Nvidia kit with a 120hz screen is close to £300 so in short give it another year when it becomes a little more refined and less "Beta"

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Phenakist said:
Make the stereoscopic cheap and I'll get it.

The full Nvidia kit with a 120hz screen is close to £300 so in short give it another year when it becomes a little more refined and less "Beta"
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/08/nvidia_3d_surround_multidisplay_gaming_editorial/

now try 3 of them in an sli system

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
I have no intention of upgrading my tv, dont have the money and i certainly wouldn't spend it on a technology that has all ways given me headaches.

red and blue glasses comic books, movies gave me headaches, imax 3d with its polarized glasses? headaches, the 3d 120hz tvs i say at a trade show last year? head aches.

Till this technology stops giving me headaches i wont be buying into it any time soon, in the end its a gimmick like motion sensing its been a gimmick for 50 years for that matter.
Its not gonna end being a gimmick till we get star trek like hologram rooms.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Don't care either way. Not seen a movie where 3d was anything more than either an amusing but inconsequential gimmick or just annoying/distracting. I doubt 3d games will be any different to me.

BonerMacTittyPants

Aug 3, 2009
Ultimately 3d vision has two major flaws. First of, it either needs special expensive glasses, or cheap ones that make the game all red and blue. Second, it strains your eyes.
I am honestly surprised that they're even considering it.

Just look at Virtual boy.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
What's with everyone and the 3D glasses? I kinda like the stereoscopic glasses that I think come with NVidia's 3D bundle, but I must admit that the red and green glasses just look stupid.

And I hope that 3D isn't that far off, once Avatar is out of theaters, I want to be able to be able to watch it in 3D again... :(

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
Even if you don't care for 3D gaming, if you're a PC gamer, most monitors with a 120Hz horizontal refresh rate (what most hardcore PC gamers will be getting) are 3D ready, so you'll usually have the option. Of course, you DO need an nVidia GPU...

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
well, I hate 3D movies because they are a gimmick that really doesn't do much, and it seems a little impracticable, too.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My thought on the subject is similar. 3D also tends to give me headaches for some reason, plus honestly they already tried similar gimmicks through the years. Right now I see it as the return of an old fad like "Jaws 3d" and "King Kong in 3d".

You don't even need any new tech. If people start claiming that this is the case it's a lie.
I remember an old movie hosted by Elvira called "The Mask" which was a 3d home video oh VHS. It involves a haunted mask (natch) and whenever one of the dimwits in the movie puts on the mask a creepy, surrealistic voice says "put on the mask, put on the mask now" as a queue to put on the 3d glasses at which point it shows a trippy 3d montage of horror type scenes with a very loose scene. Typically then the character who put on the mask goes on a killing ramage or whatever. Neat idea and interesting implementation, but it wasn't very good overall. The scariest part was that bloody voice.

So basically the entire point is that 3d is a gimmick we've seen before, it's always been popular in spurts it's seemed. I fail to see how it will do.

As far as "holovision" or whatever, I don't think the idea is workable to be honest. As neat as the idea of watching three dimensional holograms sounds, the problem is that if your sitting in a chair you can still only see things from one direction, so with a diarama type projection you won't be able to take everything in very well. Generally speaking it seems like the only way it could work would be using broadway type stage conventions (rather than FX laden TV or movies) and I'm not entirely sure there would be a market for it in the long run.

Basically until someone presents a neutral interface technology of some sort, I can't see things going beyond our current 2D viewing style (with the illusion of depth). I have questions about whether we'll eventually see it simply based on safety concerns. The odds of a technology like that as being approved for the masses strikes me as being minimal. I mean with the standards for medications and drugs, imagine the reaction to a technology letting someone play with their own brains just for entertainment. :p