Challenge accepted

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Final Fantasy 12 has some really nice settings.

Metal Gear Solid 4 has some nice powerpoint presentations in it, and a cool final fight.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
SmallHatLogan said:
Final Fantasy VIII: World was great, music was great, Triple Triad was awesome.

GabeZhul said:
I just find it really funny how most of the examples people are bringing up as games they "hated" are some of the most highly regarded and universally loved titles out there. I was expecting more actually bad games is all I am saying...
lacktheknack said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
(sees all the games people hating and wonders how)
The next challenge for the Escapist users: Choose actually bad games rather than the 'look at me, I'm so edgy" choices. xD
Well, games that are universally hated most likely have a lot less redeeming qualities. I'd like to say something nice about ET or Superman 64 but I really can't. Plus the bad games that you remember are usually the ones that didn't meet your expectations. I played plenty of horrible shareware Windows 95 games back in the day but I can't really remember them. FFVIII I remember because I had played and loved a few FF games before playing it.
Well, it's hardly a "challenge" then, is it?

Besides, anyone can tell you that Dragon Age II looked pretty. "ET is pretty competent for being programmed in three days by one dude for a major release" is a less known, more interesting statement.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
JustCallMeJonny said:
spoonybard.hahs said:
FFXIII, XIII-2, and Lightening Returns had-

Sorry... I can do a lot of things. But feigning any sort of praise for that unholy trinity is a dark pit I will not throw myself into.
They were really pretty, I guess. The race scene in FF13 is easily one of my favourite cutscenes ever.
Butbutbut! I want a game too look pretty AND have great stories, characters, and game play! Not one or the rest!

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
Sonic unleashed had an awesome first level. And I looked forward to another day-time level. I never got that far, however.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I got bored of RAGE both times I tried to play it... but returned both times because I really liked the character models. There was something satisfying about them that I liked!

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
Aliens: Colonial Marines did have one line about the exploding aliens that made me smile. it was like "...they're like 'oh hey, what was that?' and then they fucking explode!" or something...

although I've now reminded myself that Aliens: Colonial Marines exists. Bollocks

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Alpha Protocol probably has the best dialogue/response system I've ever seen in a game. I really wish the rest of the game was as good.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Didn't Jim and Yahtzee have to do this at the Expo once? Ah well...

In God of War...I get to see Kratos suffer and eventually die (in the 3rd one)...that genuinely made me happy, I literally jumped up and cried out in triumph.

Though it only held my attention for a few hours, the sequel to PS2's Shinobi (Kunoichi) was fun for a while, and pretty. Alas, one of the boss fights was too much for me (actually beat Shinobi and 50% of Kunoichi), but barring that it was a competent enough game (if not compelling).

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Uncharted had some pretty nice visuals.

Spec Ops also had some good graphics

Sonic 06 had really great music and gave me a lot of good laughs.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
lacktheknack said:
The next challenge for the Escapist users: Choose actually bad games rather than the 'look at me, I'm so edgy" choices. xD
People don't hate bad games. By and large, they don't even play them. People hate games that are hyped to the moon and disappoint them.

Harleykin

Sep 11, 2013
auron was a good character in FFX. i really enjoyed him being there. (lulu too but i'm a sucker for gothic(looking) women so that shouldn't count)
that's everything(!)

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Repeatedly blasting storm troopers with Push in the Force Unleashed games had me needlessly depleting my Force meter (however the fuck that works, stupid, lazy midichlorians) many a time to slam their ragdolls into the nearest breakable surface, then into the following non-breakable surface behind it. Being able to pick up enemies, even most of the bosses, and wing them across the area was pretty fun too.

The Perfect World MMO had swords you could fly around on like rocket surfboards. I never got that far, but it looked nifty.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
FF 8 has one of the coolest Ifrit designs in the series.

The parts in ME2 that allowed me to ignore the overarching main plot.
That's not backhanded, I hate Mass Effect 2 but I love The Seven Samurai (or whatever) In Space.

In ME3 I liked how they tried to make the crew more alive by having them move around the normandy and such.
I also like the combat in this the most. Also the whole Tuchanka section.

JediMB said:
Some of Mass Effect 3's character arcs were really well-written and highly enjoyable.
^Also this^

Granted, I don't actually hate ME3, but then hate is a pretty strong word for a video game.
Don't worry, it's mostly just internet hate. It's basically meaningless.

MarsAtlas said:
Metroid: Other M.... didn't put Samus in high heels, I suppose.
I'm pretty sure it actually did.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Dawn of War 2 had a pretty cool story, and I really liked the Chaos Rising expansion, as well as the Last Stand mode.

Crysis 2 was pretty.

Darksiders had some pretty great art design.

Skyrim is fun to mod the crap out of.

RAGE had some great animations, especially when you shot a guy and he would stumble. Oh so satisfying.

World of Warcraft has a great setting (The best in any MMO that I have played), and some deep lore that I always find interesting. Also, it has the Lich King, and he's cool.

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
I actually really enjoyed the combat in Metroid: other M, It really made you feel like you were playing one of the most bad-ass bounty hunters in video games.......unlike almost everything else in the game.

PolarBearClub

Aug 7, 2008
Far Cry 2 had a huge, great looking open world to explore (or so I'm told, as I didn't make it far enough to see about 90% of the game).

The most recent Dragon Ball Z game (presumably) works well in effectively making you feel like one of the characters in the show.