Character Names

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Sol_HSA said:
The sad truth is, voice synthesizers suck.
Arby and the Chief beg to differ.

Ontopic: that robot idea sounds fun, actually.
And funny, I got around the "Exile" part in Kotor II by naming my character "Exile Kun."
It worked wonders for immersion.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I'm not really convinced that an English language voice synthesizer is quite feasible for this kind of thing yet, although that robot idea could work. Changing the protagonist for the western release of Nier was an interesting idea, but one which is slightly undermined by the fact that both versions of him look pretty terrible and unbalanced.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Every time Yahtzee mentions abuse of "input your name" I laugh again at the memory of a college friend who played through Suikoden with a main character named "Eyikeelu".

Maybe, if a synthesizer was sufficiently limited to only being a name, and nothing else, it could work. Especially if further limited to highly dramatic scenes like Yahtzee mentions. Though as people have suggested, any method of "Is this right?" the game tried would be horribly immersion-breaking. Though at least it'd be less immersion-breaking than listening to Yuna desperately trying to tiptoe around not using Tidus the-name-of-her-newest-Guardian-that-she-thinks-is-cute. (I actually rerolled without renaming Tidus in the hopes that the voice-acting had at least recorded a version with his name and a generic some-other-name version. Oh how naive I was.)

Sinbeans

Apr 2, 2010
Reminds me of a gag they did in Shadow Hearts where they have you 'input name' but then mock you for trying to rename the character.

Fuhjem

Jan 17, 2009
Okay, I'm pretty sure Yahtzee is in my house.

My name is Frank, and when he mentioned my name after going on and on about hearing your name in games, it creeped me out.

Then he mentioned Puss in Boots with Shrek playing right next to me.

Yahtzee, get out of Illinois and go back to Australia. :p

Psyco Slim

Apr 16, 2008
MpSai said:
Mass Effect got around the naming problem by having a set last name that every character calls you by. Though it gets weird when your love interest is still calling you "Shepard".

i didnt think so since all me friends call me by my last name and i've never had a girlfriend call by my first name.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I remember that the original Knights of the old republic somewhat alleviated this problem by having the aliens who didn't speak English say your name in the subtitles then near the end they revealed that the name you chose wasn't your real name so other characters could identify you directly like a normal person. Still a bit off at times but it kind of worked. The thing I wonder about is that if voice synthesizers get good enough will the need for voice actors ever drop off completely? It would certainly make some games cheaper to produce.

Mr. Blue Sky

Feb 23, 2010
They have the same Nier in Japan, but they have two different versions (Similar to Pokémon), where the protagonist is different on PS3 or 360, but they only released the father one here, because they wanted the Japanese to have a standard JRPG protagonist.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I remember 10 years ago when Deus Ex came out, it had the novel technical innovation of lip synching. Now not only did you have voice acting, but the characters lips moved to match! Such a little thing that went under the radar but now it would be wierd not to have. Personally I'm hoping some day we'll see the same thing with voice synthesizers.

...though not for the same reason other people are mentioning here, so that the game will properly pronounce the name it let you enter. But rather for the flexibility it provides in the dialogue. Because of voice acting, everything must be pre-recorded and scripted allowing for no flexibility in the game. Additionally, the increased cost of voice acting tends to lower the overal amount of dialogue in the games. There will be plenty on the main quest, but less for the more mundane less important things that can help bring a game world to life. And of course you won't have problems like in Oblivion where they had like 2 voices do the entire world.

Callus

Dec 26, 2009
Like by naming the hero "I say" so all the characters sound like Foghorn Leghorn
ROFL which is quite painful for me since I just had a hernia repaired yesterday.

Callus

Cucipher

May 19, 2009
Haha. The two games mentioned here, Just Cause 2 and Uncharted, are the two games I thought could be infinitely improved by hiring the voices and likenesses of Danny Trejo and Nathan Fillian respectively

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
I always thought it would have been a good idea to have a pre-recorded list of names to choose from. Two sets would be nice, one for first name and one for last... that way they'd be able to refer to your character by their full name and such.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
deth2munkies said:
I'm surprised you didn't mention Mass Effect. It has a perfect balance, IMO, by letting you give your character his/her first name, but keeping the last name constant to ensure character continuity AND that voice acting (GOOD voice acting IMO) could be done accurately.
I disagree somewhat, while it did let you choose your own first name it had no bearing in the game, I don't recall an instance in either 1 or 2 where the name you chose was even displayed.

RPGs are classified as such because one of the founding principles was that you get to name the character yourself, but if there is no point in naming can you still call it an RPG if you include the ability merely as filiing the staple (name, class, attributes, personal history) of an RPG?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
While many point out the difference between characters, it seems to me that the western version IS the original version since it's also in Japan along with the teenage version, meaning it was Japan that localized the game differently for themselves, not for us.

The Cheshire Cat

Sep 5, 2009
To me, a big part of the appeal of Saints Row 2 is the whole "Just pick the character you like best and play that" aspect of it. Not just the visual customization, which is awesome, but the fact that you can choose from 6 different voices, that have full dialogue recorded for every cutscene and in-game bit of chatter, and even though the lines themselves are all more or less the same, the different voices all have clear personality differences in the way they deliver the lines.

More games should do stuff like that. Saints Row 2 is the only game I've played that really delivered on the "Play who you want!" idea. Well, so long as you want to play a sociopath.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
miraclefilms said:
Actualy, there have been a lot of advancements in voice synthesizers. We're very close to the indistinguishable to human speech.

Check this links:

http://www.loquendo.com/en/demos/demo_tts.htm

http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

http://www.acapela-group.com/text-to-speech-interactive-demo.html
When I typed in "Supercalafregelisticexpealadocious," the thingy sounded like GLaDOS dying.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Dirt 2 does something like this, they have a whole bunch of common names included in the voice acting portfolio so if yours happens to be on that list, NPCs will actually call you by your name when they talk to you.