Characters people love that you hate.

Nov 28, 2007
hazabaza1 said:
Anyone voiced by Jennifer Hale.
Also Kefka.
What do you have against Samus Aran? :(

On-topic, Shale from Dragon Age: Origins. She is just a clone of HK-47 in a different settings. Granted, to some degree you can say the same about the other characters, but not nearly as badly as with Shale vs HK-47. One is a robot that refers to humans as "meatbags" and is overly violent, and the other is a golem that refers to humans as "it" and is overly violent.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
nifedj said:
It irritates me that Mario, Sonic, Master Chief etc are always at the top of "Best Video Game Characters" lists, because being iconic/from a great game isn't the same as being an interesting or good character. I think there are quite a few characters that people say they love, when actually the game or something else associated with the character is what they like - silent characters have already been mentioned in that regard.
Absolutely. A good game or a cool visual design is not the same thing as a good character. Crono's another character that constantly gets brought up as one of the best characters ever when he really has no personality or character at all. He, like Gordon Freeman, actually has even less character than Mario or Master Chief do. Chrono Trigger is a great rpg and has some of the best characters in any rpg ever.. but Crono himself is not one of them.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Amethyst Wind said:
Well I don't think about it enough to call it hate, but seriously...

Sasuke's a dick.
Wait, he was supposed to be likeable? Doesn't help that he bitches and moans and kills off the interesting villians.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I suppose Apollo Justice from, shockingly Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice.

It's not really a good thing when you don't like the player character :/ Maybe i'm just bitter because of the horrible shark jumping shenanigans in AJ.

They also did too good of a job of making Mike Meekins intentionally annoying in every single instance of his existance. Fuck this guy's life.

Anyway the main person I have to talk about is the Main Character in Persona 3... Oh my god that guy was a dick. Seriously if you go for the antisocial loner character in a friendship based game you have to character develop him out of his dickish shell at some point... Think Neku from The World Ends With You (good game, should probably get back into that at some point.)

Crazy long 40/50/60 hour game and his character development is next to zero. Every other character is expanded upon and have arcs and all that awesomeness (<3 Aigis) but the MC remains unlikable and pretty much off-theme compared to the entire rest of the game

Really this and the horrible party AI hurt my overall enjoyment of the game far too much. It's weird because every other character is so good it makes the terribad MC that much more noticeable.

Yes, I know the PSP version (apparently) fixes practically all my problems, don't keep recommending it to me every time I raise this point. I'll get round to buying a super late PSP at some point to try it out.

And who the fuck dissed my John Marston?! I just went back to RDR today and I forgot how much I love that man. I don't want to say I ship John/Bonnie... But I totally ship John/Bonnie ^^

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Well, Mario?s, like, the blandest protagonist ever and it seems his only motivation for repeatedly rescuing from a princess with probably the most incompetent security ever from a giant turtle with a human fetish is to get a fucking cake. And whenever he says anything is just some annoying generic phrase in a thick stereotypical Italian accent. His evil counterpart, Wario, is a far more interesting and original character.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I hated Kamina from Gurren Lagann so much that
I grinned maniacally and was on the brink of sadistic laughter when he died
Only about halfway through the series did I start liking him because his importance became apparent. Before then he was just tricking everyone into thinking he was the main character, and people were treating Simon like crap.

I also don't like Ezio. He's a frickin' Italian chav.
At the beginning he's just an apparently charming whore, then when his family is attacked he decides the best course of action is to don a hood and go around shanking people.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
I don't HATE any character really X3. Not many people or things get me to feel that emotion =p. I'm ANNOYED by a whole bunch though! I guess Chuck Norris, and here in Norway, Lars Monsen, are two "characters" I really havea distaste... And that is, I don't hate the real people, but I am extremely annoyed at the people the public has made them into in their own eyes! They are not supermen! I'm sick of hearing about how they could beat this and that up with their respective beards! Quit talking about them already!

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Kefka.

Okay, look... Final Fantasy 6 is a good game. I enjoyed it. It's fun. But Kefka was simply born to be hated, not loved. He's amusing to a point and effective as a villain, but let's get something straight here... Kefka is a foppish clown trying desperately to be the Joker, but I think the actual Joker would do better in his position. He's an entire circus act wrapped around genocidal hate-monger.

He gets credit for re-arranging the face of the planet and stealing the power of the gods that made it, but let's put up one harsh reality about that particular notion: This act and everything that led up to it was made possible by HIS EMPEROR, an actual strategist and leader with a little horse-sense, like..."Re-arranging the face of the planet is BAD.".

He's insane, but I don't think too highly of the opinion that he's actually deep. I think the display we see is exactly what it says on the tin. He hates everyone and everything, likes killing and maiming, enjoys ultimate power, and looks very VERY flaming...except that no one would ever REALLY want to get near him on either side of the board.

And yeah, I do like Sephiroth better, but while there might be Kefka fans chomping at the bit to tell me off, I don't really worry too much about people who don't like Sephiroth. The Jenova-spawn can look after himself.
I get your criticism of Kefka. He's very out of place in the game, his clownish character does not fit in with the otherwise somber tone of the story. He's so goofy, acting more like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum than than a sociopathic dictator, which makes it very hard to feel threatened by him even as he lays waste to the entire world. But that's kinda why I love him - he is just such a surreal choice for a villain. The first time you see him, you can't help but go - "Really? That court jester is our antagonist?" Maybe I'm just a sucker for camp, but I find the juxtaposition of the apocalyptic tone and his cartoonish antics hilarious. Every time he's on screen, I can't help but smile.

Lucian The Lugia

Nov 4, 2011
Sorry, fellow bronies, but Fluttershy is one of the most one-dimensional and overrated MLP:FIM characters to exist, and the one time she ever got a decent character arc (her learning to be more assertive) they instantly shelve it.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Lucian The Lugia said:
Sorry, fellow bronies, but Fluttershy is one of the most one-dimensional and overrated MLP:FIM characters to exist, and the one time she ever got a decent character arc (her learning to be more assertive) they instantly shelve it.
I agree. Fluttershy isn't so great. Obviously Twilight is best. The pegasi are on the bottom of my favorites list.

OT: I don't like any characters in Dragon Age. Maybe because I don't like Dragon Age at all, being a boring game.

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
Swyftstar said:
Catelyn Stark. Know-it-all busybody caused more trouble than she was worth.
Eddard Stark, he has nooooo flexibility in his moral reasoning. He just a self righteous fool.

David Bjur

Hazy sucks, Daystar Moreso
Nov 21, 2011
I sort of dislike Tali'Zorah nar Rayya from the Mass Effect series, but that might be just because her fans are really creepy.
Plus, she's overly shy and she almost worships Shepard in the second game which kind of creeps me out.

thmz

Jul 12, 2010
Ezio Auditore, without doubt.
It may just be my hate for the way the AC series has gone from AC2 on (aliens? REALLY?),
but I believe Ezio is a COMPLETE douche. I can't feel him as a character,
because he's a rich philantrophist playboy....who fights crime....and conceils his identity...oh, crap! Now I'm obligated to make a batman comparison.
Yeah, that's it! I think he's a batman-wannabe... with a blue/green/red/whatever suit.
What kind of assassin wears blue? At least white was symbolic.
My point is that Altair was much better. He was relatable and awesome. Yes, at the start of the game he was arrogant, but that changes pretty quickly. Ezio has been arrogant for 3...well let's say 2 games. In Revelations, I started to like him a bit more...but then he I remembered that he was like, what, 60? And he's still parkouring like that? Sure, throw all sense out of the window. Next you'll tell me Altair becomes 100 years old and suddenly has a gun... Like that's ever gonna happen!

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Dante. It's not so much that I have a problem with him, I just find it hilarious that people genuinely think he is cool when he's the most cliched badass --yeah I thought white hair was cool, too...when that guy from Eerie, Indiana did it in 1992-- played straight that video games have ever had.

Then again, I'm starting to come across more and more people who take Capcom stories seriously --I've even seen the word 'canon' get tossed around-- and that just blows my mind.

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
Tali from Mass Effect.
I honestly saw no appeal and whenever she spoke it was just to spout some rubbish or other. I liked her outfit but her personality did nothing for me.

Gordon Freeman - Half Life
The guy says nothing. He's just a blank avatar.

Ashley Williams - Mass Effect
She was just a racist! Kaidan was not interesting but at least he had an open-mind and I would never hesitate sacrificing her for Kaidan to live.

Murdock - The A-Team
You're funny sometimes but just tone it down - you can get irritating when you overdo everything.

theblindedhunter

Jul 8, 2012
Hate is a stronger word than I want, but I'm going to complain about Lydia (from TES:Skyrim) real quick:
I don't see why people like her. She isn't terribly annoying, because I can just tell her to not follow me around, but she has so little to say that isn't whining "I'm sworn to carry your burdens".
I'd take her around as a pack-mule, but she doesn't have the slightest understanding of what stealth is, and isn't the brightest combatant either.

I could see liking her if you could actually talk to her about stuff, but as is she is hardly noticeable to me, except for having someone weird hanging around my house all the time.