Characters you find yourself immediately liking

vledleR

Nov 3, 2014
I like characters that are very upfront with their personality; Barrett, Handsome Jack, Mordin Solus. The ones that get on my nerves upon first impression are the dudes who brood on their insecurity

As for the ladies, I like those with a lot of sass; Bayonetta, Morrigan, even the goofier ones like Rikku or Juliet Starling.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Hm let's see...Garrus and Wrex from Mass Effect, Every TF2 character, Wheatley from Portal 2, Atlas from Bioshock (the betrayal, it burns!), Professor Layton, Kirby...yeah. Those guys are cool. Oh, and Clementine from The Walking Dead. She's so brave and smart, yet childlike without being obnoxious or needy. When it came to telling her that her parents were dead, I knew rationally that the best thing to do would be to break the news to her as quickly as possible, but I held off because I didn't want that to be the thing that finally shatters her composure. So much empathy I felt in that little girl.

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
Cidward said:
"Papers, Please" seemed an apt game to play to bid farewell to 2014 (it speaks to the year for me, for pessimistic reasons), and I'm remembering how much I liked Jorji Costava, the jolly and helpful drug smuggler.

Cobrastan is a real country in my heart, guy.
I know right! I had him arrested TWICE and he still offered me his LEGIT passport to get out if necessary. Has to be the only time a homely bunch of pixels has moved me to such a degree.

Solbasa

May 3, 2014
The character that I remember liking the most is Vivi from Final Fantasy IX; I knew I'd like him from the start, and he's become one of my favourite characters in anything ever. First off, he's a badass black mage, who can use his powers constructively as well as to kick ass. He's also got one of the best character arcs in that game (although all of the characters are very well developed), going through real growth as the story progresses.

As for others, the ones that come to mind are Garrus from the Mass Effect series, Chrom from Fire Emblem Awakening, Cell from Dragon Ball Z, Cloud from FFVII, and Fiora from Xenoblade Chronicles.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
The Wykydtron said:
Labrys and Shadow Labrys in Persona 4 Arena. Labrys for being totally adorable and making Yosuke's Route absolutely godlike (obviously they made Yu's canon because all hail Gary Stu though) and Shadow Labrys has quality evil laughs and I like how completely straightforward she is. No complex motivations, just "Come Asterius, everything dies now"

Her one scene in Ultimax? Perfect. Not even mad that she wasn't in it much. That "I cannot believe this is happening, the cheese is making me want to vomit" scene.

"......"

*Drops axe*

"Fine. I've had enough of this shit. You take back over Labrys."
I loved that scene. And when she appears and tells Sho to "kiss her skinny metal ass". I ROFL'd my coffee out of my nose. (ex-Spidermod's revenge, I wager)

Also out of the Persona bag is newcomer Rei from Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth. Her love for food rivals mine, and she has such an adorable personality. Haven't gotten to the end of the game quite yet, but there's one scene that Rei absolutely made me howl with laughter. This maybe be out of context, but I do this...

Yeah, all hail Rei, Rei is best Rei. XD
Oh what, Q is out now? In the EU even? Oh my god, Google says it is. Atlus is getting half decent with EU rele-no I can't say that with a straight face. Still better than Persona 4 Arena, Catherine and Persona 4 on the PS2 back when it first released cuz there was around a full 12 months between the NA and EU launches of those games.

Whenever I hear "Atlus just released a game" I read it as "Atlus game out in around 6-12 months" so I had no idea when Q was gonna be released. It's on 3DS too, awesome. I don't have to regret not buying a Vita.

Mimic

Jul 22, 2014
Oh man, I totally forgot about Portal 2. Definately love Wheatley and Cave Johnson was awesome.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Kaulen Fuhs said:
Sera from DA:I. So many Sera moments that brought a smile to my face when I played through it.
Although it took a little while to get used to her, I did as well. But the person I liked immediately upon meeting was Dorian. A mage with pride for his people, but acknowledges the idiocy of his his own government. He's basically a more likable Anders of the group. More likable how? Well, he doesn't whine nearly as much. I learned how the Tevinter government worked from him. It was similar to Orzammar's caste system, only you could work to change your class, based on your magical lineage.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Morrigan and shale from DA:O... Great humourous cynicism and a joy to be around.
Alistair took a little while to warm to, but now he is necessary to all journeys for his odd lighthearted defenses. I always remember the time my group went into a house in redcliffe and the first thing he said in a sing song voice was "somebody's been driinnking!"
Ah i havent returned to skyrim since. Maybe because it feeds off my soul crushing loneliness.

Wheatly portal 2 for definate. There is something disarming and charming about the good ole westcountry accent.

Loved Pagan Min...for the 30 seconds you get with him at least!

Of course Garrus. Not sure why. I just strongly feel the desire to lovingly carress his face contours. Oh and the scientist alien dude whos name i never remember.

What about characters that seem like they were written to attempt to be likable or fun, but fail terribly? Id say any final fantasy character thrust upon me has been a cringeworthy experience.

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
Though I haven't played TWEWY, I liked Neku the first time he showed up in KH[DDD]. There I was having to deal with Sora, the most happy-go-lucky 'i wanna be helpful to everyone and everybodys mah fraahnd' shmo to ever ooze out of a character creation orifice, and then Neku showed up he just squirted 'i dont give a fuck' out of his pores. I was just so happy another hateful little shit slithered on screen (cause I too being a slight misanthropic punts just enjoy seeing my species up and about)

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Vergil from DMC3.
He alone solidifies why the original series was just better. He is Dante, just cooler, with that same kind of quip his little bro has. And in comparison the calm and collective one that when he has MOTIVATION, he sees it through to the bitter end while still retaining his own version of style that matches up to our goofball protagonist.

So yeah... I'm pretty hyped for his return in DMC4:SE.

I also immediately enjoyed the respective bros of Person 3/4, Junpei and Youske. Deep characters that can get serious while still having the push for a heavy bromance and the right kind of humor on the coming adventure? I'll take these fellas any day.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Frankster said:
Lo Wang from new shadow warrior.

How can you not immediately like a guy who's singing to "You got the touch"?
And answering phone calls with "You got Wang!".

Heck how many FPS games base a big part of their trailer based on the protagonists personality alone?
I like him most when he messes up the one-liners.

"Do you feel lucky, chump? I mean punk. Damn, I always fuck that one up."

Elfgore said:
-Sima Zhao from Dynasty Warriors and Warriors Orochi. His appearance had me from the get go. His personality only helped. I love the laid back bad-ass trope.

-Edward Conway from Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. His personality is just something I really enjoy. He was a breath of fresh air after the hell that was Conner, so that may help.

-99% of characters in Mass Effect. I have a tough time hating anyone in that series.
Oh, Garrus. You can take as much time with those calibrations as you need. <3

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
Clap-Trap from all the Borderlands games. He's like a melding of Bender from Futurama and R2-D2 from Star Wars. Sassy little awesome-bot.

The Squid King

Jan 19, 2014
A quick list of 5
GladOS - Portal
Iron Bull - DA:I (although it helps that my first exposure to him was that cutscene :p)
Eddie Riggs - Brutal Legend
Isaac - TBOI
Sir Daniel Fortesque - MediEvil

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
Well, let's see...

When I first met Urdnot Wrex on the Citadel and suggested we both take down Fist, I'd expected him to be all "grrr, temporary alliance, grrr..." or something like that.

Instead, he acknowledges me, not just as an ally, but as a FRIEND.

I tend to love when a brick shithouse ends up on my side.

There was also Ratbag from Shadow of Mordor: the only orc that was friendly towards you WITHOUT needing to be Branded first. Sure, he was simply working to climb up the rankings to Warchief, but he was endearing enough that I could consider him something of a bro, even if Talion seemed to be fighting the urge to slit him up.

And then there's Lorewalker Cho from Mists of Pandaria: when most pandaren greeted you with an air of wariness or, in the case of Taran Zhu, outright mistrust, Cho sought to learn about the culture you come from, while also introducing you to his own. He also told you some of the most amazing stories I've heard in video games. Lorewalker BRO is more like it.

That's just a few of them, for me.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
Instantly likeable, huh? Let me think:

Tali, Garrus, Kasumi, and Mordin from the various Mass Effect games
Hanako and Rin from Katawa Shoujo
Jane from The Walking Dead Season 2
Jack Bartlett from Ace Combat 5
Solo Wing Pixy from Ace Combat Zero
Solo-Wing said:
(nice username)

Probably several more too, but I can't think of any right now.

dohnut king

Sep 22, 2014
Khrowley said:
Clap-Trap from all the Borderlands games. He's like a melding of Bender from Futurama and R2-D2 from Star Wars. Sassy little awesome-bot.
He had me when he called me "minion."

Naraku578

Dec 3, 2014
Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles,
It was nice to see a main character that was NOT arrogant, stupid, careless, self-centered, or extremely lacking confidence in a JRPG,while still having a personality and back-story.

I guess I liked him because he did not have a MAJOR personality flaw like in every "tales of" game I have played.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
- Sten from Dragon Age. I like that it takes some time to crack him open and even then he remains rather standoffish.

"So Sten, tell me all about the Qunari!"
"No."

- Jack from Mass Effect 2. It's hard not to like someone who's first reaction upon being defrosted is to fire up the biotics and hurl herself headlong into a wholesale wrecking of the shit. Also it was nice to have a character who wasn't in a hurry to lick Shepard's boots and stayed that way even after you got to know her better.

"I'm here to help you."
"Yeah? You sound like a pussy."

- Jane from The Walking Dead S2. While everyone else is freaking the fuck out, panicking or at one another's throats, she's getting shit done. I like that she was highly competent and also highly flawed.

- Toph Bei Phong from Avatar TLA. She's a tiny blind tomboy who's proud, sarcastic and blunt and capable of some serious bending badassery. What's not to like?

- On a similar note, Lin Bei Phong from Avatar LOK. I guess I just like put-upon grumps who don't take the protagonist's bullshit. Plus, whoever did her visual design fucking nailed it.

jackknife402

Aug 25, 2008
Really? No ones gonna mention the most manliest man in the history of gaming? Fine I will, mutha trucker Barry Burton from RE. The man was a family man through and trhough, doing whatever he could to protect them. Also that time line about Jill and a sanwhich; classic. You can't find a better man's man than Barry Burton.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Well Iroh form Avatar:TLA is the only one that comes to mind for me. I loved that guy. Next to the ending of the Iron Giant his story in "Tales Of Ba Sing Se" is the only story that has made me tear up.