Chauvin Found Guilty of All Charges

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Bodycam was released and said girl was less than a second away from jamming a knife into another girl. Whole situation is a clusterfuck but the shoot looks good. I mean that in the legal sense.

Yeah this looks hard to condemn without some evidence either the two weren’t fighting or that what she has isn’t a knife. There’s not much from before the shooting so who knows. For reference, this is what cops said about Floyd’s death day of.

Edit: fuck, wrong tweet in my clipboard
Edit2: it was never a tweet, I’d saved an image. Fuck.D0C348C2-D637-41FB-AB34-F84621595FD1.jpeg
Edit3: in case it isn’t obvious, my standard for judging whether a cop should get away with something is identical to whether a gang member should get away with the same thing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Either it becomes the new norm, or it becomes an excellent argument in favor of burning down police precincts.
The thing is, it's hard to keep caring, to keep up the protest. There will always be extremely dedicated people who will keep up the fight regardless, but most other people will feel exhausted from this whole ordeal and maybe think or hope that with this conviction that we can finally 'go back to normal'. That we got the bad guy. And I think a lot of organisations are counting on that. That with this the problem is dealt with and cops can go back to... ahem, being cops. 'You had your win, now shut up and let us get back to work.'

This feels like one of those victories we'll have forgotten about in a year's time due to the whole policing system still being fucked.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
The thing is, it's hard to keep caring, to keep up the protest. There will always be extremely dedicated people who will keep up the fight regardless, but most other people will feel exhausted from this whole ordeal and maybe think or hope that with this conviction that we can finally 'go back to normal'. That we got the bad guy. And I think a lot of organisations are counting on that. That with this the problem is dealt with and cops can go back to... ahem, being cops. 'You had your win, now shut up and let us get back to work.'

This feels like one of those victories we'll have forgotten about in a year's time due to the whole policing system still being fucked.
Keeping up the energy is hard when you keep losing. So take the W and keep fighting.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Well, Tucker's having A Time:

Like, there's layers to this: the immediate outrage that the white former police dude said that Chauvin used excessive force, the instantly queued up and ready to go footage of a white cop arresting a black man, the fucking joker laugh...

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, Tucker's having A Time:

Like, there's layers to this: the immediate outrage that the white former police dude said that Chauvin used excessive force, the instantly queued up and ready to go footage of a white cop arresting a black man, the fucking joker laugh...
He's going full clown mask on.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Bodycam was released and said girl was less than a second away from jamming a knife into another girl.
I've heard that the girl killed was the one who called the cops in the first place, which raises questions.

Reactions: Revnak

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Bodycam was released and said girl was less than a second away from jamming a knife into another girl. Whole situation is a clusterfuck but the shoot looks good. I mean that in the legal sense.

Yeah, this one seems justified

EzeW-XIUYAEpDfR.jpg

Look, when it comes to police shootings, a lot of the ones that we see are obviously an unnecessary Police escalation of a non-violent situation, but this one looks like the girl in pink was literally just about to be gutted.

I still have no idea why tazers aren't the default, but I think anyone would have a hard time saying that this shooting wasn't preventing an attack.

Obviously there is the ultimate hypocrisy of "you stopped one person getting injured/killed by killing someone else - a child, no less", but from what I can see at the moment, I would definitely err on the side of this being legal.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
For a moment I thought I walked in a different topic because I see this other story being discussed. I dunno how the guy goes from "hey guys what's up" to "bang bang bang bang" in like two seconds.

But yeah on the OP, I think it was obvious he was gonna be convicted cause there was video and everyone saw it a million times. Even if it was a case where he had some excuse or it was the drugs he ate or what have you, when people see this video over and over they're not gonna vote to acquit unless they're sociopaths and it's pretty hard to pick out 12 of em to sit in the jury unless they made it one of his actual peers and filled it with crazy cops lol.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
What is with you people and Trump? Dear God, the man isn't even president anymore and people still won't stop bringing him up in every conversation.
Because what you mentioned was exactly the same "logic" that the QAnon Trump-worshiping weirdos used, after he lost.

"What we are seeing today isn't the real trial - there is going to be a super secret trial where the real justice will be served!" - and also something about cannibalistic, Satanist, paedophilic, lizard-people, I guess? I don't quite understand the intricacies.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Because what you mentioned was exactly the same "logic" that the QAnon Trump-worshiping weirdos used, after he lost.

"What we are seeing today isn't the real trial - there is going to be a super secret trial where the real justice will be served!" - and also something about cannibalistic, Satanist, paedophilic, lizard-people, I guess? I don't quite understand the intricacies.
That's because you took the blue pill, ya fool.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Look, when it comes to police shootings, a lot of the ones that we see are obviously an unnecessary Police escalation of a non-violent situation, but this one looks like the girl in pink was literally just about to be gutted.
Someone's got to have one hell of a red mist going when a bunch of armed police turn up and they still try and stab someone.

or, as in the case with Trayvon Martin, just pre-emptively uses their gun when there's no justifiable threat to the police.
I think you might be confusing cases: Trayvon Martin was shot by a gung-ho neighbourhood watch goon after the two had already started fighting.

This neighbourhood watchman later went on to a further history of domestic abuse, threatening people with guns in disputes, and using his notoriety to flog all sorts of stuff like his own terrible paintings for huge sums of money. Truly an American hero.

Reactions: BrawlMan

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
This neighbourhood watchman later went on to a further history of domestic abuse, threatening people with guns in disputes, and using his notoriety to flog all sorts of stuff like his own terrible paintings for huge sums of money. Truly an American hero.
He was obviously traumatized. I'm not even kidding, Zimmerman's situation was far from easy. Woulda shoulda coulda applies of course; he should've left Martin alone that night.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
They generally are, as they are meant to be the step before lethal force is used. The problem with tasers is the same as with pepper spray though: In many situations, particularly when the attacker is under the influence of drugs, they won't be enough to stop the violence in progress. At best they are a temporary distraction but won't be enough to subdue attacker in the long term. They will just keep attacking without seeing or resume attacking as soon as the spasms subside. In some cases that respite will be enough to let the police get the upper hand and restrain the attacker, but it is by no means given and failing to do so increases the risk of the victim, bystanders or the police getting injured. Hence the "safe bet" becomes to escalate straight to lethal force, because a lethally injured or dead attacker will not be able to pose a further threat.

I realize I'm coming off as defending bad police practices here and I want to make clear that a lot of police shootings in the US are entirely unjustified as the police responds way too aggressively to minor provocations or, as in the case with Trayvon Martin, just pre-emptively uses their gun when there's no justifiable threat to the police. But in violent situations, when you're sympathetic nervous system is firing like crazy and people might be seriously injured or killed it is often really hard, if not downright impossible, to accurately judge the right amount of force to subdue someone without causing unnecessary injury. It is guess work and often that means using more force then necessary as a precaution.
Yeah, but they also report that many police officers suffer from ptsd due to the extreme stress of their job. In the U.S. everyone can have a gun so everyone is also a potentially lethal threat. Society expects officers to uphold the law with risk for their own life and the very nature of the job attracts a certain kind of people with often authoritarian tendencies or atleast closely related personality traits. I think it's this mix of character type, prejudice and having prejudice confirmed by mere nature of the job. Other cops having similar experiences will also aggravate the degree of cynicism which makes these kind of incidents even more likely to occur. Ultimately the police violence is an accumulation of wealth inequality(the poor neighbourhoods where most gun violence occurs), prejudice of cops either due to prolonged exposure to serious stress of always being send out to this violence or already pre-existing or both and the fact that there are simply way too many guns. It's a cascading effect of conditions that evidently render many police officers unable to judge each situation entirely on it's own merits.

Still though I don't understand why cops aren't outfitted with non-lethal ammunition or a PEP gun. It seems more in proportion to the majority of real, or often perceived, threats they face than live rounds.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, but they also report that many police officers suffer from ptsd due to the extreme stress of their job. In the U.S. everyone can have a gun so everyone is also a potentially lethal threat.
Police officer, in the US, isn't that dangerous a job compared to, say, forestry, IIRC.

However, there's the perception that it is, which is a problem, yeah.

Still though I don't understand why cops aren't outfitted with non-lethal ammunition or a PEP gun. It seems more in proportion to the majority of real, or often perceived, threats they face than live rounds.
Minor point, but it's "less-lethal" rather than "non-lethal". As I understand it, they used to call them non-lethal, and that came up as a defense after a few deaths, the police blaming the manufacturers and the manufacturers blaming the police. Had to change the name to encourage police to think of them as weapons to use against dangerous people, rather than tools to get annoying people to be quiet.

But, yeah, for certain real threats, they are better than bullets. And even if you kill the suspect, you're not supposed to use them unless lethal force isn't unjustified anyway.