Cheap Ass Gamer

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
'i never understood why people do'

Because the soul reason those game you buy so cheaply in the first place exist is because people are willing to buy them on launch? Because if they didn't, the devs wouldn't make enough money to make said games?

Really, it's not a difficult concept.
Oh come off it. For like 99% of gamers that has absolutely nothing to do with it.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Best way for cheap gaming imo is to avoid consoles and build a £300 budget gaming PC and buy games from Steam, that kind of price at the moment would build something that would match an XBox 360 in performance and the amount of money you would save on games would soon wipe out the increased cost of the machine over getting a console.

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
The Crotch said:
Huh. What a curious thread title [http://www.cheapassgamer.com/].
That's what I thought this thread was about. I visit that site every day and love it. It helped me pick up the Black Friday Vita bundle for $179, and sold the two games that came with it for $40.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Da Orky Man said:
Kazam24a said:
Hey,
I am proudly a cheap ass gamer. I never pay 59.99 for a new game i always wait for the price to drop to 19.99 (usually within Six months of Release) and i never understood why people do. Generally for excellent games you get a GOTY edition with all content for 20 to 30 bucks... I should mention that i don't do multilayer or co-op so maybe that lessens the appeal to paying three times as much for less content....

Any other cheap ass gamers out there and if so where do you find the best deals on your games (Consoles preferably)
First, a question.

Dollars? Pounds? Euros? Non-American dollars?

Since $59.99 is the standard starting price for games in the USA, you're probably talking about US dollars, but could you remember that this is a fairly international forum. Looking at a few polls done, just under a fifth of people here reside in the US.

Anyway, I only seem to buy games off Steam sale nowadays. And other than, say Rome 2, I can't see any games I'm particularly after coming along soon.
What are these "other countries" you speak of? The US is the only place on Earth.

OT: Sometimes I'm cheap, sometimes I'm not. Amazon is one of the best places to get games cheap.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I buy some games on launch because I want to play them then, I don't want to sit around and wait for the price to drop. Other games, like Dishonored, I can wait for a sale/GOTY edition.

Kayos

Apr 7, 2010
You should be thankful you only have to pay $59.99 for a new game on launch. It's $130 here for console $99 - $120 for pc and that is only for standard edition of games

aaronobst

Needs a life
Aug 20, 2010
You're making a smart decision if you ask me. You buy a full price game nowadays and they'll just re-release it with a 'GOTY Edition' or 'Complete edition' at a cheaper price.

How did this DLC shit get so out of hand in the space of a single generation.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I waited a week to get Tales of the Abyss when it was first released. I ended up spending the next 8 months trying to find anyone who had it in stock. I hope that answers your question about why some want to be sure they get their games. Also on a side not, if I could get a new game for $60 I'd be thrilled. No big title is that cheap at release around here.

Edit: Also some of us actually wants the developer to succeed and make another game. We can't all be happy that a game fails and the publisher goes bankrupt meaning the developer lacks funding to create new games.

Dec 14, 2009
Guy Jackson said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Because the soul reason those game you buy so cheaply in the first place exist is because people are willing to buy them on launch? Because if they didn't, the devs wouldn't make enough money to make said games?

Oh come off it. For like 99% of gamers that has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I very much care about supporting the industry I derive such enjoyment from.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Used to buy games full price but these days its rare simply because my time to play games has decreased dramatically so I dont really play many RPGs anymore despite still loving them as a whole I have generally gone back to fighting games which I pick up cheap after a few months or more the downside is anyone still playing is usually pretty good and so I get my arse handed to me.

I do still buy some games new though I am tempted to pick up Metal Gear Rising Revengeance and the new Tomb Raider but moneys real tight atm and I dont think I can justify it but I will probably get them eventually the only game I am almost certain to buy new this year is Persona 4 Arena I am disgusted by the atrocious delay in releasing this game to Europe and I assume Australia but I want to play it so much I will likely get it straight away anyway.

I do tend to buy a lot of older games like PS2 and before though and they are pretty cheap now.

Its not worth buying new games usually for me anymore best for me to wait and pick it up cheap than get it straight away and not play it for a few months I also sometimes borrow games off friends which I suppose is cheap but thats the only way I will ever play them still gotta borrow Mass Effect 3 when I can be bothered to finish off the story.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i never buy games new, im usually months and months, sometimes years (i been playing supreme commander for the first time last year) behinf in buying. but thats not because i want cheap games (i do though) but because there so many games and so little time to play them, and i jut cant play them all.
Besides, i earn what converted to EURO would be around 300 euros a month. shelving 60 euros (because apparently that's how pricing works, yay gaming industry) is a big deal for somone who has to pay for rent, pay for studies and thne still magically ahve money left for food.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
It's been years since I bought a game for full price on release. The most I've payed for a game recently was X-com for $33 ish on a steam sale. If there were a publisher/developer I trusted to put out a quality product or a series I was really in to, I'd do a day-one purchase. There isn't though, so I just wait. As far as the argument above goes, it's just as easy to say day-one purchases tell publishers they can keep putting out crap and keep going with shitty practices as it is to say that day-one purchases support the industry.

Kazam24a

Oct 17, 2011
Desert Punk said:
Some of us buy games we like when they are released because we like to support the people who make the games. I understand some people cant be bothered to think about the fact that if the games dont see sales that we wont get more of those games.

Hell most publishers look at the first few months of game sales to tell if a game was successful, not the lifetime of the product, so good job, if you enjoy a particular kind of game but are too much of a cheapskate, well only you are to blame if those kind of games are relegated to nich markets and not produced much.

I doubt publishers look only at the first few months of games sales they look to the products life spans or they should if they ran a competent business but they may not. To me by offering such serve drops in price in a very short time after the release of the game the publisher has to place the blame... A publisher has to make me want to spend 60 dollars on a game and they have failed to do so. There own shady practices on disk DLC, Day one DLC, pass codes etc have pushed me further away from buying launch games. and i buy games new just like you so the publisher does get a cut of the cash i spend just less so.... so i think the publishers can blame themselves...

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I'm like this too. I have a cut off price of £25, Its the most I spend on games and it usually doesn't take that long to reach it.

I'm a man of principles though, Any games that have online passes I buy used for example.

CheapyD

Feb 20, 2013
JonnyHG said:
The Crotch said:
Huh. What a curious thread title [http://www.cheapassgamer.com/].
That's what I thought this thread was about. I visit that site every day and love it. It helped me pick up the Black Friday Vita bundle for $179, and sold the two games that came with it for $40.
GamingAwesome1 said:
The title of your thread is convenient for me because I get a good number of deals for cheap games from a place that is actually called Cheap Arse Gamer. It is however, largely UK-oriented, so you might be out of luck there.
Thank you, I thought I was in Bizzaro world for a minute.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com
We have all the video game deals for North America, UK, and more.

The Escapist did an article about us many years ago:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_28/172-Comrades-in-Cheap

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
krazykidd said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Isn't it the opposite? If no one buys a game they drop the price to entice people . And if many people buy it then it stays the same price .

Kinda like how DNF dropped to 20$ in like two weeks and hows Nintendo titles/CoD stays at 60$ FOREVER .

OT: No i'm not a cheap ass gamer . Games i want i'll buy day one . Games i don't want i'll only buy for less than 20$ . The reason i can do this and not go brankrupt is because i'm a JRPG fan and those are few and far between .
Kidd, you and I are usually too busy disagreeing with each other to have a moment like this, but.... I am on your side here. Games only sell for $60 USD because people pay it. If people stopped paying it devs/pubs would become more responsible with their budget and start selling games cheaper. When you deal with a market base like games, buying games day one, pre-ordering, and paying full price is only going to cause games to stay high (if not go higher).