Cheap Ass Gamer

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
That's pretty cheap. Then again, maybe I shouldn't talk.

I would buy a game for $80 if it was something I really really wanted, but that hasn't happened for awhile and I just don't believe most games these days are worth it. I literally felt like I stole the Orange Box when I bought it for $30.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Whenever there's new games at launch that I really want to buy, I think of all the backlog games that I have sitting on my shelf and I slowly work through them.

So I only buy end up buying games when I think "heck, it can't get any cheaper than this" because Amazon's game prices tend to fluctuate a lot.

I did have few day 1 purchases though for Uncharted 3, Team ICO collection and Portal2 as far as I can remember.

Aug 31, 2012
Yeah, I'm a cheap assed bastard. Would never pay more than £30 for a game under any circumstances and I don't think I've ever seen a PC game for more than £30 anyway. Generally £20 would be my upper limit. Average would probably be around £10-15.

Amazon is usually where I buy cheap games, since they are a bunch of tax dodging bastards they are usually very cheap.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Desert Punk said:
aaronobst said:
How did this DLC shit get so out of hand in the space of a single generation.
You can look at gamestop for that one, with so many people buying games used and it being easier than ever and those used games being offered instead of the new versions publishers have found DLC is a good way to recoup losses.
Of course we're the ones ripping of publishers. It's not like they release buggy piles of shit but still expect us to pay 60 dollars anyways because we're so damn loyal.

No. I don't care. You lost money because your game wasn't worth $60? That's not my problem. There are so many developers out there that make freeware right now. Not free to play with microtransactions, I'm talking full game right out of the box or installer free. All they ask is for donations.

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

Hell, the admin is actually concerned that he might have to put ads in because he doesn't want to bother people with ads. That's how selfless he is. That is a man I would pay if I had the money.

I wish I had a money tree in my backyard so I could buy every game at full price. I wish I had a roller coaster in my backyard that runs on Mr. Fusion. But sadly I don't and I have to look out for myself. I have to decide what is worth 60 dollars and what isn't.

BandicootPower

Jun 14, 2012
maninahat said:
BandicootPower said:
maninahat said:
Daystar Clarion said:
'i never understood why people do'

Because the soul reason those game you buy so cheaply in the first place exist is because people are willing to buy them on launch? Because if they didn't, the devs wouldn't make enough money to make said games?

Really, it's not a difficult concept.
That explains how he can buy them at discount. It doesn't explain why people don't buy them at discount.

I recognise, as a cheap bastard, that if everyone played the waiting game like I did, the value of games would depreciate at a way slower rate, so it is in my interest that most people pre-order/buy on the day. But I don't get that impetuousness. Not when the same product can reduce to a fraction of the price within a few months.
If everyone played the waiting game like you and I game prices would depreciate at a waaaay faster rate just to try and get people to buy the damn game! They're only as expensive as they are because a lot of, if not most people, are prepared to pay £40, $60, or whatever standard release price is in your region. Obviously if standard release price was £5 no one would make a profit and everyone would go bust, but there isn't a justifiable reason for games being as expensive as they are (especially with all the DLC releases and the sheer number of sales most AAA titles manage to achieve) other than that is what people pay.
I suspect what would happen is that they would drop off in price to around £20 or £15 in fairly short order, and then keep it that way for years at a time, kind of like what happens with well received movies on DVD. That's sort of how COD already does it; I've been waiting for COD4 to come down to a fiver, and it just hasn't happened. It has stayed up there, and even during sales, it never seems to drop as low as £10.
I noticed just the same thing with COD games. I bought and played Modern Warfare 4 not so long ago (to see what all the fuss was about). I'd been watching it for ages and the price just would not fall below a £10 - £15. I'm not sure why or how, that game was hugely successful, there must be millions of copies of that game knocking about!

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
barbzilla said:
krazykidd said:
Daystar Clarion said:
'i never understood why people do'

Because the soul reason those game you buy so cheaply in the first place exist is because people are willing to buy them on launch? Because if they didn't, the devs wouldn't make enough money to make said games?

Really, it's not a difficult concept.
Isn't it the opposite? If no one buys a game they drop the price to entice people . And if many people buy it then it stays the same price .

Kinda like how DNF dropped to 20$ in like two weeks and hows Nintendo titles/CoD stays at 60$ FOREVER .

OT: No i'm not a cheap ass gamer . Games i want i'll buy day one . Games i don't want i'll only buy for less than 20$ . The reason i can do this and not go brankrupt is because i'm a JRPG fan and those are few and far between .
Kidd, you and I are usually too busy disagreeing with each other to have a moment like this, but.... I am on your side here. Games only sell for $60 USD because people pay it. If people stopped paying it devs/pubs would become more responsible with their budget and start selling games cheaper. When you deal with a market base like games, buying games day one, pre-ordering, and paying full price is only going to cause games to stay high (if not go higher).
Woohoo ! You don't know how happy that makes me . This means i am

A) Recognised by someone !
And
B) Not always wrong !

Oh happy day! Well my main flaw is that my spelling sucks and i don't know how to express myself clearly .

Matthewmagic

Feb 13, 2010
I am a cheap ass gamer as well, I usually use steam or wait about a year and a half after launch to get the GOTY addition, with all the DLC. I'm not going to call them out but someone decided that developers are martyrs saying something like "if we don't they wont make any more games." Well yes but if we don't and we don't buy DLC and they are not making as much money as they would like too be with their current model. Instead of bitching about it they should come up with a way too reduce their price point. I'm actually kinda excited for the idea that used games wont work. If this is done while bringing the price of games down I will be so much happier going into the next console generation. Otherwise I may not even bother, the pc has become my home for gaming recently anyways.

LadyDeadly

Mar 5, 2011
There's a place in Ontario thats called " Entertainment Overload" That sells used games, movies, merchandise. But they also sell new games at the original price.
So if you can't find it used they'll always have it new. But to be fair, used is usually only like 20 there and older games are hecka cheaper.
I got me2 for 13 dollars and a pokemon game for my ds for 8.

I do buy games full priced sometimes but only If I know I'm going to keep it. If I know I'm going to sell if after I play I'm less likely to buy it full priced.
I got Skyrim and Lollipop Chainsaw and Mass Effect 3 full price.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
There's a whole website targeted specifically at you:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
krazykidd said:
Yeah, you and I had a fair bit of "discussion" about the whole Dark Souls EM thing. It does feel nice when someone recognizes you though doesn't it?

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
Her Majesty, The Cheap-Ass-Gamer, reporting for her appearance!

I typically don't like paying much more than 10 $ (US monies) for a game, unless it's current gen, then my leniency goes to about 20 $.

I've literally waited years for games to drop in price before buying them (usually on account of me forgetting their existence for a while). For example, I intend to get Ultimate MvC3 when the next paycheck rolls around, and it's about 19.99$ after 2 years of price droppage on amazon. Did I forget about it a few times? Yes. Does it make me want it any less? No.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
If a new game come out that I want, I will try to get it on sale. Working in retail, that's not really a problem. If I'm buying on launch, it's probably a preorder, and coming with preorder bonuses.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
I skipped the current generation because I couldn't afford an Xbox, PS3 or decent PC and a library of games to go with it. Had it not been for the Homebrew Channel on my Wii I would have missed out on a ton of great games for that system as well, and the one game I would have gladly thrown down cash for (Skyward Sword) turned out to be pretty garbage.

How's that for being a cheap ass gamer? XD

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I buy a lot of new games on release, but even then I'll check price comparisons. Usually saves me ~?10 per game, not to mention some nice bonuses you can sometimes get.

budgetgaming.nl is my friend. :)