Check Out The Newly Revealed Supergirl Costume

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Check Out The Newly Revealed Supergirl Costume

CBS has just revealed Melissa Benoist's Supergirl costume, combining the iconic cape and skirt with a slight Man of Steel twist.

We've already come a fair distance from <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137546-DC-Comics-Supergirl-Coming-to-CBS>last year's announcement that CBS would produce Supergirl: Not only is the pilot beginning production, we finally have a glimpse of Melissa Benoist in her costume. Created by Arrow and The Flash costume designer Colleen Atwood, the style mixes the original cape, skirt, and boots combo with a slightly modernized Man of Steel aesthetic - and by and large it works.

"In designing Supergirl, I wanted to embrace the past, but more importantly, thrust her into the street-style action hero of today," Atwood said in a statement.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/supergirl>Supergirl will follow the adventures of Kara Danvers - whose Kryptonian name is Kara Zor-El - who has long hidden the powers shared by her famous cousin Superman. But when she turns 24, Kara decides it's time to accept her family heritage and embrace her powers, along with a costume, while still finding balance for a normal life.

How exactly Kara will use her powers - let alone what her relationship with Superman will be like - remains to be seen. Helen Slater and Dean Cain, who played Supergirl and Superman in other film and TV projects, have also been cast for the pilot and will probably fill some family role. But regardless, Benoist certainly looks the part, with the only tangible change being the lack of yellow in her S symbol. In fact, even with the darker colors it's closer to the sourcer material <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135859-First-Promo-Image-of-Superman-From-Dawn-of-Justice>than Superman's costume in Man of Steel.

Here's hoping Supergirl ends being another solid DC television entry alongside Arrow and The Flash. As it stands, CBS has no plans to share universes with other DC Comics adaptations.

[gallery=3894]

Source: TV Line

Pescetarian

Jul 6, 2010
Looks okay. The second one feels way too photoshopped (compare the head and hands), but it's okay.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
I really like it actually. Makes me wish even harder that DC would just integrate these shows into their cinematic universe.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
rosac said:
I really like it actually. Makes me wish even harder that DC would just integrate these shows into their cinematic universe.
they want to possibly put supergirl inside of the Arrow/Flash Verse which is really starting to grow

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Is The Flash considered successful? I watched it a few times because Flash was the best character in the Justice League Unlimited cartoon, but the live action show bored me to goddamn tears. I've yet to see Arrow but if people are saying the Flash is a of the standard, I may give Supergirl a miss.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Not bad at all, I like it. Very artificial looking picture though, I kind of would have liked to see how it looks with more light hitting it.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I don't really like the kind of lighting the photographer went for to be honest. Nor the background pattern of choice. Doesn't do much at all to bring out the costume. Aside from the suggestion of more gold rimmed clothing accessories this outfit looks okay.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
ShenCS said:
Is The Flash considered successful? I watched it a few times because Flash was the best character in the Justice League Unlimited cartoon, but the live action show bored me to goddamn tears. I've yet to see Arrow but if people are saying the Flash is a of the standard, I may give Supergirl a miss.
Well it isn't doing poorly (here in Canada it's the second most watched show on Tuesday at 8pm after NCIS) since it's a CW original series that wasn't cancelled after the midseason finale.

What I want to know is if it's going to be in the same universe as the CW series. That was a massive missed opportunity on DC's part to not have its series and movies in the same canon.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Zontar said:
ShenCS said:
Well it isn't doing poorly (here in Canada it's the second most watched show on Tuesday at 8pm after NCIS) since it's a CW original series that wasn't cancelled after the midseason finale.

What I want to know is if it's going to be in the same universe as the CW series. That was a massive missed opportunity on DC's part to not have its series and movies in the same canon.
Its TV series universe is going to be broader than its movie-verse. A 3rd animated show called Vixen is set to take place in it with rumors of an Atom and Firestorm spinoff as well.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
We all know that the reviewers have already prepared to say that it's much better than the movie, and we all know they'll be right.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
It's a nice costume, and she wears it well. The leggings also keep it from being too cheesecake, but I look at it and I think "Supergirl".

Mission accomplished, CBS costume designer.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
That's Supergirl.
Got the costume right, now lets see what they can do with the show.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
ShenCS said:
Is The Flash considered successful?
It gets good numbers and critics generally like it. I find it to be probably the most lighthearted and fun of all the superhero shows currently on. Arrow doesn't seem willing to ever let the city he's protecting ever actually get any better, which makes the whole endeavor seem kind of pointless. Gotham isn't bad when they do gritty crime/police drama and sucks whenever they do "Hey, look, this is gonna be Batman in 15 years!"

Flash isn't without it's flaws, but if I had to drop down to only one superhero show, it would easily be Flash.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The costume could be made to be a little brighter. Not the blue from the comics, but a shade or two lighter than Almost Navy blue it looks to be.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Nice boots. But Enji Night will always be Supergirl [http://enjinight.deviantart.com/art/Asteroid-264399655] to me.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I'm getting sick of this darkly lit, subdued stuff from DC's live action; they might as well make it all black and white. The costume could use a little trim, too; it's kind of boring (especially with how over-designed so many other recent designs have been).

That said, it's serviceable. It's closer to classic territory and I've always preferred the cape, skirt, and boots combo. Thank god they didn't try to go with the new 52 look: I hate that costume.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Looks very...underwhelming. Like something you'd buy in a Halloween store, but then try to pass off as a cosplay you made yourself at a Con. Then you run into someone else with the exact same outfit and they call you on your bullshit.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
Um, Kara Danvers?

Is this some shot at Marvel and Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel. Are they trying to do a copyright war piss thing.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous that Warner Bros has their own television network, they own DC.. and yet they are licensing their own characters to other networks when they have two of the best DC shows ever on television. It's just madness to me that they could establish a full universe far better than any movies they have made in the last 5 years by simply putting them all on the same network. It would only make sense that the Flash, Supergirl, and the Atom could all crossover with ease.

OT: I think it looks a lot like the Man of Steel constume... which is only OK at best. But still pictures don't ever do anything justice. It will only either look good or bad in action, so I always find these pictures useless.

ShenCS said:
It depends on what you consider successful. Critics like it a lot, the show is well received by fans and it does some of the best storytelling I have seen in a show related to comics. I personally love the show. It's exciting, it's well written and most importantly, it's not afraid of it's source material (its biggest strength).