Check Your Privilege!

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
I'm a white, straight male and I got a 48/100 even though I answered 100% honestly. I'm quite surprised, but I guess this just goes to show "privilege" is not secret Tumblr code for "bias against straight white dudes."

Naturally, I'm oh-so shocked by that fact.
You live with 42 out of 100 points of privilege.

You?re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You?ve had your fair share of struggles, and you?ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.
Which did actually surprise me, because I'm male and from a wealthy family.

I guess my assertion that "rich people have problems too" has been true all this time.

That didn't surprise me.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Test results...
You live with 35 out of 100 points of privilege.

You?re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You?ve had your fair share of struggles, and you?ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.
Holy... fuck...

...I am so confused right now. This test must be wrong, as it has been pointed out to me many, many times that I am a privileged fucker.

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
You live with 78 out of 100 points of privilege.

You?re among the most privileged people in the world. We don?t live in an ideal world, but you happened to be born into an ideal lot. This is not a bad thing, nor is it something to be ashamed of. It just means a lot of other people in the world don?t live life with the advantages you have, and that?s something you should always be aware of. Hey, the fact that you took the time and effort to check your privilege means that you?re already trying.

Huh. Should've known: white heterosexual atheistic male from Europe.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I "posed" as a hypothetical straight male living in an isolated village in the Democratic Republic of Congo to fill out this test.

You live with 65 out of 100 points of privilege.

You?re quite privileged. You?ve had a few struggles, but overall your life has been far easier than most. While your home may have been torched and your friends gunned down by M23 rebels, at least you've never had to worry about coming out of the closet. You should be aware of your advantages and work to help others who don?t have them. Thank you for checking your privilege.
Damn...what the hell am I doing in New Jersey? One way tickets to the DRC, please!

Vudu

Apr 14, 2014
It's funny how the quiz brought up defending your religion several times but not defending non-religion (atheism). Because being an Atheist has definitely been a struggle/problem for me and questions like that may have pushed me from a 41 to a better or worse number. I also love how is attributes to things like not buying close every month to non-privilege. I definitely don't but that's because I don't like to and only shop for clothes when I need to. I consider that a luxury and privilege to be able to forgo buying clothes because I don't 'need' to. But it counted against privilege anyway. Oh well.

Vudu

Apr 14, 2014
DevilWithaHalo said:
Test results...

Holy... fuck...

...I am so confused right now. This test must be wrong, as it has been pointed out to me many, many times that I am a privileged fucker.
Being white automatically adds 35 points. That might have been the problem. Did you forget to check that box on the following page lol?

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
One problem I have with this quiz is it doesn't go into depth of discrimination.

I like could face daily racial slurs and I would qualify for the for the racial slur box. I could face a one off racial slur and I would still qualify for the for the racial slur box, Even though the emotional toil and damage recieve would be vastly different on the quiz it would be worth the same.

Personally I don't like this whole check your privilege thing, it makes too make assumptions based on background rather that based on that personal life experiences.

You can be a upper class, rich, well educated, white, hetrosexual, male and still live a very hard life.

You can be a working class, poor, poorly educated, non-white, bi-sexual, trans-female and live a very easy life.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Vudu said:
DevilWithaHalo said:
Test results...

Holy... fuck...

Being white automatically adds 35 points. That might have been the problem. Did you forget to check that box on the following page lol?
Nope, I got that, and quite a few other boxes to. Based on my past experiences with people regarding privileges I expected a much higher result. But as one comment pointed out in the page, it may have something to do with the amount of comfort one has in one's own skin as opposed to the external treatment they receive from others based on various influences.

Or perhaps, and I'd laugh if this were the case, the test is used to illustrate to those who continually abuse the phrase that they are thinking too narrowmindedly about the definition associated to the phrase and to force them to accept that they are devaluing the struggles that other people might have even if they happen to exist within a demographic they would otherwise treat as privileged. (That would be fucking awesome)

But that's probably my height privilege talking. And I do constantly check that, otherwise I'd bang my head some more! ;)

adamsaccount

Jan 3, 2013
Sneezeguard said:
One problem I have with this quiz is it doesn't go into depth of discrimination.

I like could face daily racial slurs and I would qualify for the for the racial slur box. I could face a one off racial slur and I would still qualify for the for the racial slur box, Even though the emotional toil and damage recieve would be vastly different on the quiz it would be worth the same.

Personally I don't like this whole check your privilege thing, it makes too make assumptions based on background rather that based on that personal life experiences.

You can be a upper class, rich, well educated, white, hetrosexual, male and still live a very hard life.

You can be a working class, poor, poorly educated, non-white, bi-sexual, trans-female and live a very easy life.
I agree, only been called a fag once, but i was so drunk and annoying and faggy cant say I blame the guy, I just stumbled away drunkenly and found an alleyway to vomit on my grandfathers jacket on. Thats a metaphor and it actually happened.

cypher-raige

Apr 15, 2014
46/100
I feel like some of these are leading questions.

Also "I don?t rely on public transportation."
Public transportation is very common for young people in my country and gets a lot of government funding.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
ehhh 68.

Not quite the very most privileged, but close. Well I call sodding bollocks, on the score and the test.

Firstly, rape, suicide, depression, bullying and being over or under weight have nothing to do with privilege. They can happen to anyone, anywhere at any time. Bill Gates could be raped tomorrow. Oxford and Cambridge are infamous for their hazing and "pranks".

"All my jobs have been accomadating of my religious practices" irks me. You're there to do a job, if I was in charge you follow company policy do your job, whether you're a white male christian, a female Muslim, and elderly Jew, an Athiest or a Tibetan Monk.

My family is fucking poor, my Mum bought me up on her own, and worked 2 jobs (and still does even though I moved out a good few years ago) to support us. We're pretty much in the lowest band when it comes to income short of being homeless.

This quiz is clearly aimed at Americans, because I guarentee, "I went to College" "I can afford Health Care" ramp up the points significantly. I can afford Health Care, because it doesn't cost me anything, because we have this lovely thing called Free Health Care, where we don't have to remortgage our house in the even someone is injured.

I went to University, because we're poor, and thus I get a loan to do so. I have to /pay off/ that loan, and it's well into £25,000. University wasn't free, but my family did't pay for me to get there either, I gotta pay that shit back for most of my life. I also have no idea what "Sallie Mae" is, however after googling it, I don't know, because I'm British. Again, this adds points.

That and a lot of those questions are biased, I'm an Athiest, I don't get bullied for my religion, because I don't have one, that doesn't make me privileged, because there's nothing to be gained or lost from being an Athiest.

Also "I graduated High School"? That's not a privilege, that's something you should be able to do providing you're a regularly function Human being and not a complete moron who dicks about in class.

"I work in a salaried job" is also odd. Again, that's not a privilege, thats something you have to earn in most cases, people work hard to earn a decent salary, don't chalk that up to privilege for fuck sake. "I've never had an addiction" is bollocks too. What's that got to do with privilege? Unless you've ended up in a really shit scenario, you bring addiction upon yourself.

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
You live with 23 out of 100 points of privilege.

You?re underprivileged. The world is not a fair or ideal place and you know that because you grew up with several identities that the world is not kind to. You had a lot of challenges to overcome simply to get on a level playing field with most people in the world. It is not your job to educate the world about its injustices, but if you choose to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

This test thing is making some heavy biases and assumptions. However, at least it goes that experiences matter more than aspects, but still things bother me. The test automatically assumes that you have privilege just because you are male or just because your are white. It is as if all the other shitty stuff in your life doesn't matter because somehow that is supposed to make up for it.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
34/100

Fuck yeah. BD

Still not that bad all things considered.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I got 20/100 for this quiz. "You?re underprivileged. The world is not a fair or ideal place and you know that because you grew up with several identities that the world is not kind to. You had a lot of challenges to overcome simply to get on a level playing field with most people in the world."

That sounds about right, honestly.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
I'm a white, straight male and I got a 48/100 even though I answered 100% honestly.
Oddly enough, this is exactly how mine turned out. I even grew up in a middle class family.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
71/100, being "quite privileged". I suspect that it's mostly because of being in a decent income family and not yet having much in the way of financial concerns, being heterosexual and an atheist (although I'd like to note that the quiz didn't consider the idea of defending being an atheist. I've had people tell me I'm just confused or not old enough to have a proper opinion, which must be the most opposite view I've ever heard). Also while I am a different ethnicity I am mostly white so no one can actually tell by looking at me.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
As a deist, it's hard to be "attacked" by people of other religions, since most don't even know what it is.
Also, "place for worship"? I'm guessing in my case it could be anywhere?

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
56/100, Quite Privileged

Ignoring the fact that Nordic countries are apparently famous for free healthcare, (mostly) free education, I have enough savings and spendings to balance out my student grant with monthly expenses to maintain 5000? threshold for bank benefits, privileges on being a student and I've lived most of my life in backwater towns without much immigrants.

That test probably should account for country in hindsight, since Fenno-Scandinavia should add privilege points.

tgbennett30

Oct 7, 2010
Saltyk said:
61/100

When it came to the various disabilities, I can say that I don't have any diagnosed. But there was one...

"I do not have any learning disabilities."
You see, if you knew me, you would understand why this is a bit complicated. When I was a kid, I was diagnosed with epilepsy (its actually more complicated than it sounds). As a result, I took several medications for it. Which slowed me mentally. I was placed in Learning Disabled and even Severely Learning Disabled classes.

I can literally remember looking up at a poster of a circle representing a human head with ears made from "d" and "b" which was explaining the difference. And not getting it. It just didn't click. I remember getting ouster crackers in class. I can probably find the rooms if I ever went back to that school.

But I was taken out of it after my mom took me off the medicine against doctor's orders (haven't had any seizures or anything). Even placed in honors classes in the following years. But I can say that this had a long term affect.

I also was in Speech Therapy due to an ear infection I had as a baby that seems to have screwed up my speech. Imagine saying "Stop" as "Sop" and having trouble with "R" words. I swear I still have trouble with words like "roar", but I've been told it's perfectly fine. Don't think it was bad? My sister was regularly called into my classes to "translate". Yeah, Spanish was fun.

So, where do I stand on that? I put that I don't have a disability, for the record.

I don't know. This feels deeply flawed. But maybe I'm just too privileged.
This is why this is an utterly bogus quiz.

I'm deaf (and I wasn't born that way), and my deafness sure as heck affects me on a daily basis a lot more than racism or sexism or whatever affects my friends who fit in the quiz's non-privileged categories.