Check Your Privilege!

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Is the whole internet on some kind of privilege craze?

53/100, apparently. Guess poor me for being gay but never having any problem with it. And otherwise living a perfectly standard life for big city university studies, or somtehing!

Montezuma's Lawyer

Nov 5, 2011
17/100

What an utter load of shit this is, appearently having parents who are heterosexual increases your privilege?

What a fucking joke, back to tumblr with this nonsense.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
I didn't quite understand what the questions at the end were trying to get at. Were they pretending headmates were a thing, or was it some other buzzword way of describing a situation?

Also 33/100

And honestly, I've felt pretty damn content with life, in fact that sales job it considered a negative I was so good at it got me a career. Lovely how things work out sometimes.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Reality check: If you're posting on this site, you're almost undoubtedly privileged in comparison to the vast majority of the world.

Hell, I know I'm privileged as hell and I still scored a 42/100. Apparently because getting my feelings hurt as an atheist in a Catholic school means I've been oppressed or some bullshit like that.

DMShade

Dec 6, 2007
I got a 26. Interestingly, many statements that sound like they should have been linked or gone hand in hand, did NOT when I answered them honestly.

C14N

May 28, 2008
I'm not giving Buzzfeed an extra page view but are they seriously calling you less privileged for being an atheist?

NSGrendel

Jul 1, 2010
"You live with 35 out of 100 points of privilege."

As tests go - apart from being US centric, like 99% of people, it's worthless. Like most people too, now that I think of is. In retrospect, taking this test makes you a fucking moron.

NSGrendel

Jul 1, 2010
C14N said:
I'm not giving Buzzfeed an extra page view but are they seriously calling you less privileged for being an atheist?
Yes. They are. Do you have a response to that or are you just trying to appeal to a general sense of outrage?

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Well, this questionnaire really is quite specific to the US, many of the issues are not the ones that are prevalent in my country (Germany).

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
59-100

Considering that I live in the US, have an internet connection, food and a roof over my head, I consider myself pretty fucking privileged.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
C14N said:
It's idiotic when you consider that atheism is, most likely, directly correlated with education and socio-economic status, at least in the US, which are things that make you more privileged on the very same test.

Fucking morons.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
M_K_D said:
elvor0 said:
Firstly, rape, suicide, depression, bullying and being over or under weight have nothing to do with privilege. They can happen to anyone, anywhere at any time. Bill Gates could be raped tomorrow. Oxford and Cambridge are infamous for their hazing and "pranks".
Privilege is far more complicated than "could it hypothetically happen to you?" If you're a straight male, you're at a far lesser risk of being raped than a female or a queer male. Have you ever felt that casual male friends would be willing to sexually violate you? What about random males on the street? Odds are you haven't, or at least you haven't felt that sense of threat in the same way or at the same rate as a female. That is privilege, being able to go through your day without justifiable fear of sexual assault is privilege.
What about regular assault? Because men are more likely to be assaulted than women on the streets, yet men don't fear it as much as women, what does that fall under?

Superlative

May 14, 2012
66-100

As a Heterosexual, Cisgender, Middle Class, Black male who has a MA and lives at home I'd say thats about right.

Race has been a thing in my life but not a huge one. After a while you just get used to being the only black person in the room. I've encountered racism but most of what I've dealt with has been more based on ignorance than malice and all ignorance needs is a little education/counter-examples. the only thing that really gets on my nerves is the level of threat management black men need to avoid becoming another Trayvon. Mostly I've just enjoyed the %75 resistance to sunburns and lice.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
M_K_D said:
That's an interesting question, but I'm not quite sure that it matters. A cishet man being randomly assaulted on the street for reasons unrelated to his gender has nothing to do with privilege so far as I can tell.
If it was unrelated to gender, then there would as many assaults on women as on men, no? There must be something more satisfying to assault a man than a women for these people.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Do people actually act like they can only be discriminated against if they're a racial minority or a woman? I'm curious.

That said I didn't take the test because Buzzfeed HAHAHAHAHA