Check Your Privilege!

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I got 45, lower than I expected although some of the question are a bit iffy. "Is there a place of worship for you religion in your town? well no because I'm Atheist and don't worship anything. Also there needs to be something between never and yes because then its counting one off things. For example I have been called racial slurs in non joking manners but that hardly common.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Ok so a lot of those questions just sort of assume I have a religion. I'm an atheist I don't have a religion. I got like 44 or something.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
42/100 "Not Privileged". Mostly due to mental health and financial issues, with a little bit of help in the religion section due to being quite loudly atheist in a small conservative town.

So, as someone who's "Not Privileged," can I just say how fucking dumb I find the excuse "It's not my job to educate you," which my results assure me I'm now allowed to use? It probably shouldn't be, but as soon as "I" ("I" here meaning "Any given SJW") start bitching at you over your ignorance, I have implicitly made it my job. Whining and moaning about ignorance and privilege, then refusing to do anything to remedy them, is nothing if not an abuse of privilege in and of itself- "It's not my problem, so I won't do anything about it, but that won't stop me from bitching."

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
I got a 34. Hmm, well I'm not white and am really poor but I guess that number doesn't tell all cause I at least live in a First World country. Still, life still sucks so I'm somewhat glad for the little validation. :)

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
generals3 said:
And what about "There is a place of worship for my religion in my town." (and other similar questions), i'm an agnostic, what's a place of worship for my religion supposed to be :/
A nice building with a question mark on the roof?

OT:
Yeah I saw that stupid quiz, to be honest I hate the phrase "Check your privilege" Mainly due to the fact that it's usually used as a round about way to tell someone to nut the fuck up and/or shut up, but with more arrogance and pretensions to social morality as if being a white heterosexual male makes life a beautiful and happy place. Incidentally I got 32.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
20/100
Schizophrenic, Transsexual Woman, Previously homeless for a couple years, and chronically unemployed because of all three previous things, so yeah that makes sense. I didn't know it was THAT bad though, especially because I'm also a white American. I guess I just got used to the shitty parts.

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
61/100

I don't think it's that good of indicator though. For instance, my city has amazing public transportation, so I never had the need for a car. (Not that I would've gotten one anyway, but still.)

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
21/100

You?re underprivileged. The world is not a fair or ideal place and you know that because you grew up with several identities that the world is not kind to. You had a lot of challenges to overcome simply to get on a level playing field with most people in the world. It is not your job to educate the world about its injustices, but if you choose to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

do does this mean i can demean people with a higher score than me becasue they are more privileged or are differnt from me?

or do i do the logical thing and see the "test" for the bias it is and ignore the test creators agenda and form my own self worth and values not that what some random test tells me i am

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
70/100

Frankly I was expecting it to be higher. It's mostly just that my sexuality is abnormal, though I'm not a homosexual, which is mainly what the questions were about. I also have some mild mental disorders.

I've never felt even the least bit unprivilidged, and the things I lost points for are things I consider personal issues in no way relating to social status or class which is what privilege usually refers to.

DasDestroyer said:
80/100
Helps that most of my time is spent at home, so any question about whether a person has called me something or treated me worse due to something gets an automatic no because I barely interact with people in the first place.
Same here, I've never had to pretend to be just "just friends" with my significant other because I've never HAD a significant other. I'm also not sure how to answer questions like "I have never gone to bed hungry" because if you've never ever gone to bed hungry in your life, you're probably obese.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I think all this "privileged quotent" is absurd because the very idea of its use is to put people into some "Victimhood olypmics" where the most suffered person gets to automatically win any argument because of skin color or particular gender. Because "checking" your privilege means never disagreeing with someone who's a bigger victim

I'm a liberal progressive and I see nonsense like this all the time, and my perspectives help me see through a lot of bullshit.

I do like the fact I can leverage mine to prove points because my sexuality which caused self-hate and depression in a strict religious school, health issues from cancer, living below the poverty line, and other things which make me less privileged all mean I can never be told to "check it" when in an argument because someone prejudicially sees a white a guy and assumes I've never had any problems compared to them, making their automatic "you're wrong, I'm right" trump card worthless.

It's very satisfying in that case, because they can't hide behind a word so easily.

Oh and I scored under 30, and the questions are obviously skewed to make "certain people" look bad.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
I got a 47... what the fuck is this shit?

Seriously, Buzzfeed needs to be re-calibrated or something because I consider myself quite well off. I don't want to live in a world where a straight, white male isn't considered the most privileged. Has my life not been as good as I thought?

Damn it, Buzzfeed, you are making me question my entire existence.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Hmmm...52. Too bad it was not ten points less: Bad-Dum-Tsss! Ultimately though, I have no idea where this thing gets its perspective from.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Ratty said:
"Things like racism are institutionalized. You might not know any bigots. You feel like ?well I don?t hate black people so I?m not a racist,? but you benefit from racism. Just by the merit, the color of your skin. The opportunities that you have, you?re privileged in ways that you might not even realize because you haven?t been deprived of certain things. We need to talk about these things in order for them to change." - Dave Chappelle

Yeah I heard about this joke-quiz a while back. But privilege is a real thing, and people should be aware of it and not mocked for talking about it. The above quote that I just saw recently encapsulates why very well.
I'm well aware that cultural hegemony and institutionalised racism/sexism are real issues, this quiz was just supposed to be a bit of fun, it wasn't my intention to mock anyone.

Beffudled Sheep said:
blaming Colour :D
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Blame Colour
Listen, don't start this shit in my thread.

You're just jealous because my score was super high. XD

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Colour Scientist said:
You're just jealous because my score was super high. XD
Does that mean you're not only checking your privilege, but reveling in it?
It means I can acknowledge that I have it easier than some people without getting super pissy because someone dared to point out that I might not face as many or the same challenges in society as someone of a different race/sexuality/religion/social status/disability etc.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Whenever I hear someone say "check your privilege" I want to say "check your prejudice".

I'm a straight white male atheist with aspergers.

49/100, "you are not privileged".

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
67. So is this thing designed to make people feel bad? Because this is how you make people feel bad.

Oct 10, 2011
43/100
You?re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You?ve had your fair share of struggles, and you?ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

Seems a little low. Sure, I'm gay, poor and atheist in a religious family, and I have previously attempted suicide, but I'm also a white male who is big enough that nobody ever tries any actual violence against me.

Also, I've managed to avoid my family finding out about the "gay atheist" part, so they still support me in the things I do. Once that bit of info gets out...

Well, I plan to be gone by that point anyways.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
I guess the test only works if you´re american what with it asking shit like if you had a car in high school (what kind of rich ***** has their own car in upper secondary school?) or if your parents paid your tuition. No such thing as parents needing to pay jack where I´m from.

Still I became something 40% prvilegiged but you can´t really rely on this test, this isn´t the 60´s, everybody has been the victim of some sort of violence and most definately slurs because of their ethnicity. Everybody has been in a room where there was nobody of their ethnicity. Never felt poor? Never been called fag? Don´t project on me bro, just cause you have a guy on the payroll just to wipe your ass don´t mean every white guy from here to Belize is in the same situation. Having felt poor, having been in some scrapes, not being able to afford a car in upper secondary school, etc. That isn´t being some sort of poverty stricken hobo that´s just normal life for most people in the middle class and below.