Check Your Privilege!

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
34 out of 100, which seems low, to be honest.

Many of the questions were geared towards Americans though.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
You live with 84 out of 100 points of privilege.

You're among the most privileged people in the world. We don't live in an ideal world, but you happened to be born into an ideal lot. This is not a bad thing, nor is it something to be ashamed of. It just means a lot of other people in the world don't live life with the advantages you have, and that's something you should always be aware of. Hey, the fact that you took the time and effort to check your privilege means that you're already trying.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i got a 53 i should have scored waaay higher than that im the majority shareholder/CEO of a small but still multinational corporation for f's sake and from an old money family im (mostly) white too maybe being female, bisexual and an adult brought my score down??

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
GreyNicor said:
I got 52/100.
The test is very flawed though, it assumes you have a SO and a religion.
How can I be attacked for my religion when I do not have one?
I basically got +10 privilege for being an atheist and +10 more for not being in a relationship, no wonder everybody scores high.
Also the "are you white" question was not exactly a subtle way to hide their perspective on privilege.
You can, in fact, be attacked for your lack of religion. This is a thing that happens, and there really are people out there (I've met them myself, in the most surprising of places) who sincerely fear that a lack of faith means one must naturally default to being a truly awful horrorshow of a sub-human being.

Not to say the test isn't flawed. I'm relatively comfortable in life myself despite coming in at a whopping 18/100.

I think the best thing about this test though, is that it does not actually shame people for scoring privileged. Nor does it voice entitlement to those who don't, merely remarking that hey: the world is kinda crapsack and it's a crapshoot where you end up. Whether the specifics it evaluates your privilege on are extremely accurate or way off base, that's an important voice to raise: we're not monsters for being at the extreme ends of the scale, and there's no reason to become so.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
63 out of 100.

That should probably be much higher as I was seriously laughing at a good deal of the questions.

I'd say there should be one last final question about whether or not you've ever created a test for privilege, automatically maxing your score if you have.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
GreyNicor said:
wulf3n said:
GreyNicor said:
By being attacked for not having a religion.
The problem with this logic is that you assume people know what religion I have or not have.
Not really. You're personal experience aside, my post was merely pointing out that being persecuted for not having a religion is fundamentally no different than being persecuted for having a religion.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
GreyNicor said:
wulf3n said:
GreyNicor said:
By being attacked for not having a religion.
The problem with this logic is that you assume people know what religion I have or not have.
Well, if no-one cares for what your religion is, then you're not being attacked over it either.

But for example if you live in a society where it's acceptable to off-handedly call atheists horrible people, or force you to attend to religious services, or where you have to consciously hide you're not religious, then you'd be discriminated for your lack of religious beliefs.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
49/100 not privileged at all apparently.

Weird I thought it would be higher because tumblr.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
I got a 40.

"You?re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You've had your fair share of struggles, and you?ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help."

I have no idea what intersectional means. It sounds like a traffic system.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
ThreeName said:
I got under 50.

This quiz is broken to the shithouse, I live in a sandstone castle.
What you have to understand is that the zero score isn't really rock-bottom.

It's rock-bottom among those who have access to a computer, the internet and possess the free time and basic knowledge required to fill in an online privilege test. That pretty much already puts you in the top 10% of this world, a sandstone castle wouldn't necessarily disqualify you from being in the bottom half of that top 10%.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
52, although some of those overlap and it doesn't cover a fair few things. I'd still consider my score accurate.

DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
I guess this just goes to show "privilege" is not secret Tumblr code for "bias against straight white dudes."
Although it generally turns out that way.

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
30/100 - You're not privileged

That wouldn't surprise me but this test still seems a bit broken. Not accounting for a lot of other aspects.
Kind of a waste of time.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Ratty said:
"Things like racism are institutionalized. You might not know any bigots. You feel like ?well I don?t hate black people so I?m not a racist,? but you benefit from racism. Just by the merit, the color of your skin. The opportunities that you have, you?re privileged in ways that you might not even realize because you haven?t been deprived of certain things. We need to talk about these things in order for them to change." - Dave Chappelle

Yeah I heard about this joke-quiz a while back. But privilege is a real thing, and people should be aware of it and not mocked for talking about it. The above quote that I just saw recently encapsulates why very well.
This is bullshit. Why should I feel guilty a) for being born a certain skin colour and b) for working hard mon-fri to get the lifestyle I want?

Complaining about racism then forcing people to feel responsible for something they have no part in purely because of thier skin colour is a tad hypocritical. I live in the UK where weve never had slavery and weve never forced black people to use separate facilities. Also this mainly happened years ago, im pretty sure young germans dont feel guilty for the holocaust (yes these things should be remembered and we should be grateful for what we have but we should never feel guilty)

Racism is a dreadful thing but I dont feel in anyway guilty. I feel sorry for victims of racism but im not taking responsibility for it

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
shootthebandit said:
Ratty said:
"Things like racism are institutionalized. You might not know any bigots. You feel like ?well I don?t hate black people so I?m not a racist,? but you benefit from racism. Just by the merit, the color of your skin. The opportunities that you have, you?re privileged in ways that you might not even realize because you haven?t been deprived of certain things. We need to talk about these things in order for them to change." - Dave Chappelle

Yeah I heard about this joke-quiz a while back. But privilege is a real thing, and people should be aware of it and not mocked for talking about it. The above quote that I just saw recently encapsulates why very well.
This is bullshit. Why should I feel guilty a) for being born a certain skin colour and b) for working hard mon-fri to get the lifestyle I want?

Complaining about racism then forcing people to feel responsible for something they have no part in purely because of thier skin colour is a tad hypocritical. I live in the UK where weve never had slavery and weve never forced black people to use separate facilities. Also this mainly happened years ago, im pretty sure young germans dont feel guilty for the holocaust (yes these things should be remembered and we should be grateful for what we have but we should never feel guilty)

Racism is a dreadful thing but I dont feel in anyway guilty. I feel sorry for victims of racism but im not taking responsibility for it

I don't see where anyone has suggested that you should feel guilty about anything.
Pointing out or wanting to have a discussion on the subject that specific groups are more likely to experience certain privileges in society that others are excluded from is not akin to a personal attack.

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
shootthebandit said:

You shouldn't feel guilty for being fortunate, but you should be aware that you have been and give some consideration to the idea that other people haven't. That doesn't necessarily mean you, personally, should have to go out of your way to do something about it...you may not actually be in a position to be, and that's fine. People shouldn't assume that you are.

But statistically speaking you're more likely to be in a position to than others. That may not make you directly responsible for things, but it may enable you to take as much responsibility as you choose to take from the amount of responsibility you are able to.

The idea that -isms have been institutionalized isn't hugely disputable. What it really means is that we have habits that grew out of them that haven't really gone away, and that we don't often consciously consider...especially if we're affected positively by them, because humans tend to take the good in our lives for granted.

You aren't (or, at least, shouldn't be) being asked to rise up and take personal responsibility for apartheid. You are being asked to consider the ways in which you've benefited from the way things are, and how you might be able to share the wealth of your experience with those who have not so benefited.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
70/100

White, male, heterosexual, athiest. Don't have a particularly good job or education, but able to save money very well, (which is how I got through the last 4 years of being unemployed but still paying keep and then getting screwed over by the first person during that time to give me a job who then didn't pay me for months).

I ticked a bunch of stuff just because it's technically true, but only in the sense that it's not applicable to me, such as religious discimination, so that's probably bumped it up a bit, but what else are you supposed to do?