Children have bad taste in entertainment

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
First of all, does anyone remember Digimon? If not, here's a reminder.

Anyway. I was surfing youtube when, for some reason, the entire Digimon movie showed up in the suggested videos thing on the side. My intential thoughts "Hell yeah. The Digimon movie! I remember that kicking ass. I'll set aside some time to watch it"

*1 hours and 28 minutes late*

That was dildos. Like, complete and utter dildos.

Anyway, that brings me to the topic of the thread. Is there any book, movie, game, or show that you use to love, that ended up sucking up a rewatch?

Captcha: Circle of life

And now I'm off to watch the Lion King.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
The Pacifier and Yours, Mine, and Ours (remake).

That's a much-shortened version of the list.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
The Neverending Story is bloody awful. I'm not sure if growing up or reading the book caused this to happen, but one of the two.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I think I need to go rewatch that movie now and see if all of my childhood was actually a lie. This could prove to be a depressing venture.

OT- Yu-Gi-Oh sucked. Really bad. A few of my other early animes didn't age too well either, but at least they had other qualities that made them still worth watching. Sometimes.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
No, they don't have really bad taste. They just don't have many options. People who make entertainment think they're idiots, but they're really much smarter than most people think.

Spielberg is a case of someone who respects kids and thanks to that we have movies like E.T. which I loved as a kid and I still think is a good movie.

Well, I used to watch He-Man, Transformers, G.I. Joe and Thundercats, none of which I think is that good now, but the thing is that those were the best cartoons at the time, so I can't blame my child self from liking those if there's no better option, right?

I still have to re-watch Never Ending Story though. I don't remember thinking it was that great to begin with, so I'd probably hate it now. I like Labyrinth much more, but I'm afraid to watch it again and see it was crappy. I'd rather keep my good memories.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
My niece watches all those laugh track-dubbed "bunch of teenagers inexplicably living without adult supervision" sitcoms on Nickolodeon, ABCFamily, whatever; and I don't think she notices this, but she never laughs or smiles or responds in any way to what she's seeing. She just stares, her face and posture devoid of any indication that she is enjoying what she sees. I think she's being tricked into thinking they're funny by that goddamned laugh track.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
dont blame the children!.....their not old enough to look a things critically

its the fact that people think children/familiy entertainemnt doesnt thave to be quality

thats where you get shit like Bee Movie

Dangit2019 said:
The Pacifier and Yours, Mine, and Ours (remake).

That's a much-shortened version of the list.
those are more "family" than kids...but your right in that they are crap..and when you think about it the thourght of being doomed to watch shitty movies when you have kids involved is depressing...not me though..if I ever have kids I WILL NOT watch shitty movies

there are a few childhood favorites I like, Hunchback of notre dame is still an amazing movie even if it is suffocated by its need to apeal to kids (I knew it was dark then and its still dark now)

The Parent Trap while a silly "familiy" movie that is fun to point out all the flaws (nameley...your parents will get back together! and your dads girlfreind is a she devil!)its still sort of fun and endearing....somthing I would watch

Mrs Doubtfire I think is good because it also has a realistic message to kids from divorced familys

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Aris Khandr said:
The Neverending Story is bloody awful. I'm not sure if growing up or reading the book caused this to happen, but one of the two.
Have to second this.

As a child, Neverending Story was one of my favourite films....

I watched it with my kids a few weeks ago and felt bored after 25 minutes.

I never realised how irritating Sebastian was.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
JimB said:
My niece watches all those laugh track-dubbed "bunch of teenagers inexplicably living without adult supervision" sitcoms on Nickolodeon, ABCFamily, whatever; and I don't think she notices this, but she never laughs or smiles or responds in any way to what she's seeing. She just stares, her face and posture devoid of any indication that she is enjoying what she sees. I think she's being tricked into thinking they're funny by that goddamned laugh track.
Now that you mention it , i think i did that too! Wow , being brainwashed to think something is good when subconciously you know it's terrible and not realizing it. I'm an idiot! Damn i wonder if i still do this . I know for a fact i still laugh when i watch seinfeld and that 70's show , but for anything else i'm not sure . TO THE LAB! ( or in this case , the living room ).

OT: I don't think i would call it bad , we were easier to please , plus if we liked something , we liked it no matter how bad it is. There is no way in hell i'm going to ruin my childhood by watching darkwing duck/tail spin / duck tales or any other of the disney shows i used to watch , i rather remember them being awsome . "A lie isn't a lie if you believe it " - George Castanza, Seinfeld-

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
JimB said:
Agreed
That and they're training girls to be awful.

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
Watership Down is a much better movie now that I'm older rather than being a scary ass rabbit movie.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
krazykidd said:
There is no way in hell I'm going to ruin my childhood by watching Darkwing Duck/Tail Spin/Duck Tales or any other of the Disney shows I used to watch; I rather remember them being awesome.
Duck Tales holds up extremely well. I can't say as to the other two. I remember enough of Darkwing Duck to think you're probably right not to watch it.

Accel

Aug 18, 2012
JimB said:
krazykidd said:
There is no way in hell I'm going to ruin my childhood by watching Darkwing Duck/Tail Spin/Duck Tales or any other of the Disney shows I used to watch; I rather remember them being awesome.
Duck Tales holds up extremely well. I can't say as to the other two. I remember enough of Darkwing Duck to think you're probably right not to watch it.
I'd say Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, and TaleSpin all hold up really well.

OTOH all the Marvel toons I loved from the 90s haven't aged well at all.

Animation-wise, Beast Wars hasn't aged well either, but it's also doesn't make me cringe to watch it either (and everything else about is still so good that I can forgive the outdated animation.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Vault101 said:
Also any Pixar movie holds up to time. I liked Toy Story back then, I like Toy Story now.

But yeah, kids can't really make judgements on what entertains sometimes. I remember HATING the Lord of the Rings movies when they first came out. Fast forward a few years later, I love them to bits.

Shadowstar38 said:
The reason why it sucks is very simple actually. The "movie" is actually three shorts made by the animation studios and released in Japan. To release it in the west, Fox decided to glue the three shorts together so that it would be a proper theatrical release length to MAKE TEH MONEYZ.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Yes, Digimon sucked. So did Beyblade when I look back on things and don't even get me started on Yu-gi-oh, the show I bought into...

<.<

But, to be fair to kids, adults liked Jersey Shore enough to let it last 6 seasons. 6 SEASONS!

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
The earliest thing I can remember to being "into" was Star Wars, James Bond, and Mel Brooks movies. Everything else up until that point I had never really gotten "invested in" because my siblings and I had been diagnosed with OCD and Torrettes. My parents made it a practice of deliberately trying to keep my brothers and I from being "obsessed" with things (after a suggestion from a psychiatrist). Even after I learned how to watch things without them knowing, we lived in the middle of nowhere with a TV that basically only got CBS, ABC, and PBS with a very unreliable and hard to watch version of Fox. All I really had were video games, which just extended to games on a macintosh up until about 2000 until I finally found a friend with in walking distance who had various consoles and a half decent computer, and books, which were classics that tend to hold up with age.

Of course, since this extended to a time before I could read, I often ended up just being obsessed with my own imagination, which was fueled by the shows and movies that I would walk in on a quarter of the way through, or the games my older brothers were playing that I wasn't allowed to play. I kept on filling in what was happening with what my mind thought most appealing. So, in a round about way, I guess you could say that I found a number of works disappointing when I finally got around to seeing/playing them in their entirety, but it did probably have a similar effect to what you are describing.

Funny how it works.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Beyond Power Rangers and stuff like the smurfs, I still enjoy a lot of stuff I was into as a kid. Things such as getta robo, fighting games, ninja stuff.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Sorry, but I've recently been hitting the older stuff of my childhood, and I still believe that the stuff of yesteryear was the better product, especially in comparison to many shows NOW.

Examples:

Give me good and hammy Apocalypse (X-Men) over the newer version anyday.

Ghostbusters was always a good show, especially since some episodes were written by Mr. Babylon-5 himself.

It took a great amount of effort to make a show that could top Mumm-Ra (Thundercats), but that doesn't change the coolness factor.

Beast Wars and Reboot are instant classics, hands down. Beast Machines, your mileage may vary.

Oh, and apparently MovieBob covered FREAKAZOID recently.