Child's Play Halts Retake Mass Effect Donation Drive

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
In other words EA bitched that they were making them lose money and threatened with lawyers. Charities wouldn't care that the money they're getting is from a source like this unless they were getting negative feed back.

The people that gave negative feed back to Child's Play donation drive should be dragged out onto the street and shot.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
how is anybody confused about what was going on? it was fairly straightforward... once again, stupid people ruin good things.

also, i'm not sure RTM would be the best acronym. RME seems more accurate.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Lethos said:
I don't get all these people going "garrr, it's so selfish and/or childish for RME to cling onto a charity like that!"

Surely doing the right thing for (what you consider) the wrong reasons, is still the right thing in the end? Furthermore what kind of cynical creature must you be to try and cast people who just collectively raised $80,000 in a bad light?

Can't help but see the irony in that the people who are critical of RME calling RME childish, and then proceeding to let their personal feelings towards RME get in the way of recognizing that a huge pile of money was just raised.

Hold the line :p
The problem is the bottom-line motivation for the fundraiser was more then a little blurry. I approve of giving money to Child's Play in and of itself, but what was essentially implied (whether intended or not) was that 'We gave money to charity for a new ending Bioware, so if you don't give us one that the same as saying you're against charity' or to put it more succinctly 'Your ending makes sick children cry!', and that for me qualifies as some serious emotional blackmail, which I'm afraid I can't support.

If you want to give money to Child's Play, then do, and feel free to feel good about it. But don't hijack the cause in order to strong-arm people into doing what you say. That's not 'doing the right thing for the wrong reasons', that's 'making a mockery of the concept of charity'.

Bob_Marley42

Apr 8, 2009
Sad to see there are so many mongs about. I mean, I know this is the internet and all, but still.

Child's Play have certainly made the right call here - while it was lovely that people donated to charity, no matter what the reason, to have that charity become percived as something it is not because of that is understandably something to be avoided.

If nothing else some good has come out of this even if we have been forced to endure an explosion of mongism.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I like Child's Play but retake Mass Effect was stupid, I can't stand the tactic it used, oh look you hate this thing, so why don't you support this unrelated thing over here, there's just no way that wouldn't come off as intently misleading.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
disgruntledgamer said:
In other words EA bitched that they were making them lose money and threatened with lawyers.
I would love to know how you reach this conclusion. Seriously.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:
I applaud the donators who helped raise 80,000 for children who deserve to enjoy video games as much as anyone else. If anything, you guys ARE the good ending to Mass Effect 3. Thank you.
I want to call you out for being cheesy, but you're right in a poetic kind of way. I wonder if games that were (almost) universally loved have ever accomplished something similar?

Oh, shit. Wait. I said I wouldn't post drunk anymore. Well, balls to it.

OT: No. I refuse to think about this. The stupid makes my head hurt. Then again, I've seen pictures of people paying ridiculous amounts for empty boxes of new consoles and dealt with my mothers inability to read anything on a website properly, so I'm not actually all that surprised.

Alex Mac

Jul 5, 2011
As much as the results of the donated money will be nothing but good, I definitely think we cannot divorce ourselves from the intention that was likely present in a lot of those donating. The campaign took one cause and subverted it for another, all the while acting as a way for many donators to to feel morally upright or argue a veneer of maturity. And that is very unfortunate.

Intentions matter. So while I commend the donations gathered, I will never be able to fully stand back and say that people were doing what they did in good faith.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I can't help feeling like whomever started this Retake Mass Effect thing was just trolling simple folk. Not to mention that Penny Arcade's artist (I don't know about the writer) was paid by EA to pen artwork for them.

Just saying.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Somepunctuation said:
KeyMaster45 said:
While it's funny to think that some people are so enraged by the ME3 ending that they will blindly throw money at anything they assume will get it changed. I think it was despicable of the guy running the RTM to tie his retarded rage machine to the charity knowing full well (and I don't see how there's anyway he couldn't have seen people would construe it as such...unless he's just as stupid as the morons he's attracted) that people would throw money at it in some insane attempt to get the ending changed.

It's fine for people to get upset the ending wasn't what they wanted, but this bullshit has gone way too far.

Usual Disclaimers: I am not a Bioware fan, I haven't played any of the ME games, I didn't like DA:O, and I didn't buy DA2. In short, I am in no way a Bioware fanboy nor am I a fan of Bioware in any substantial capacity.

I think the exact opposite. More internet protests/whine-fests need to have a positive aspect to them, like a charity drive.

You think that sick children shouldn't reap the benefits of non-altruistic donations just because you don't like the cause? With all due respect, I think that says just as much about you as it does about the people donating.
Actually I think that it's just wrong to take advantage of people's blind rage regardless of benefits. Dishonesty is still dishonesty.

We can stand up and cheer all we want for this guy taking advantage of people's natural assumption that the donations were somehow going to produce a new ending for the game, but at the end of the day it was still a rather shady thing to do. Which is exactly why Child's Play didn't want itself associated with RTM, people were donating under the impression the money wasn't going to sick kids but to produce a new ending. Think for a second what kind of reputation that could give the charity. That they're willing to scam people out of their money, (regardless if that's what they were doing at all and if was really just a short sighted twit trying legitimize his nerd rage) if people think they're willing to do that by extension they'd begin to think if the money being given to the charity was really going towards what they said it was. It's a stain on their reputation that could be potentially disastrous in future fundraising endeavors.

So yes it's great that $80,000 was raised but I find the conditions under which the money was collected to be morally questionable, or simply flat out underhanded on the part of RTM's organizer.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Scrythe said:
Tycho said:
[Child's Play] has been asked what the goal is, and how much they need to raise in order to get the ending produced. We've also been contacted by PayPal due to a high number of people asking for their donations back. This is in addition to readers who simply couldn't understand how this was connected to Child's Play's mission. We were dealing with a lot of very confused people, more every day, and that told us we had a problem.
That alone is fucking disgusting. I cannot believe I'm a part of a community full of whiny, entitled, and egotistical assholes. For years, we've been struggling with the stigma that gamers, as a whole, are hopeless losers who are prone to violence and childish behavior, and here we are proving them right.

Penny Arcade's Child's Play (and by extension, Desert Bus) has been one of the greatest and most wholesome thing to come out of the gaming community, and has really helped quell the image that we're mindless slaves to "murder simulators", and just because a single AAA game had a sub-par ending, the gaming community managed to turn this into a fucking circus. Donate because you want to help Child's Play, not because your unwarranted self-importance demands that you somehow deserve a better ending simply because you may or may not have actually purchased the product.

I'm sick of this attitude. It needs to fucking stop. No other medium of entertainment stoops so low as to make petitions and campaigns over such trivial bullshit.

You don't see people sending death threats to Michael Bay's personal phones in response to Transformers.

You don't see people making massive online petitions to boycott Eoin Colfer's And Another Thing... or Brian Herbert's Sisterhood of Dune.

You don't see people withdrawing their donations from a food drive because they wanted a different ending to The Sopranos.

We're supposed to show the world that we're much more mature than this, and instead we're turning into another self-indulgent internet mob.

[HEADING=1]Go fuck yourselves[/HEADING]
Yes, but how do you really feel about the situation?

OT: I have avoided all of this hubbub because it seemed to be a no win argument no matter what side you were on. Can we please just let it die now? It's gotten too big, too ugly, far too much negative energy is being generated by it, nothing is going to come of it and even the one thing good that might have come out of it has been tainted by the overall negativity of the whole thing.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Okay, first of all.

Secondly... despite the fact that the ending made me want to OD on anti-depressants, I thought donating to a charity just to raise awareness of the ending of Mass Effect 3 was stupid. But at least the money was going to a good cause.

Unfortunately, this paints the entire gaming community in a negative light.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
SwimmingRock said:
SnakeoilSage said:
I applaud the donators who helped raise 80,000 for children who deserve to enjoy video games as much as anyone else. If anything, you guys ARE the good ending to Mass Effect 3. Thank you.
I want to call you out for being cheesy, but you're right in a poetic kind of way. I wonder if games that were (almost) universally loved have ever accomplished something similar?

Oh, shit. Wait. I said I wouldn't post drunk anymore. Well, balls to it.
I'm happy being called cheesy. I'll wear that hat proudly.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
It's a damn shame that even with all that money raised for charity, the only thing people are going to remember is that some few people wanted their money back.

Why must groups always be rated on the lowest common denominator? For a few moments, I thought we were taking steps forward.

penthesilea180

Jul 25, 2010
"We have shown our sincerity and passion. We have brought positive attention to the Retake Mass Effect movement," her wrote.

I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to write "her" there. Just FYI.

OT: I was a little worried about attaching RTM to a charity drive. But, many charities partner with corporations to increase awareness about their cause and the corporations get good publicity to boot. However, I don't know how people could have mistaken 'donate to a charity' for 'buy a better ending.' That seems like they didn't read what the charity drive was for and that is their own fault.